Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DB pro free

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I saw today that I can get DB pro for free Should I downlode it is it worth it or should I just not bother

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/microsoft.png
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 18:28
That depends.

Do you want to make games?

Are you willing to invest a large chunk of your life into game programming? No programming language is easy to use, DBP takes a few years of intense struggling with before you master it.

Are you a person who wants to get to the bottom of things? Someone who wants to know what code is hidden behind button clicks and bullet collisions?

If you answered "yes" to all of those then sure, go ahead and download it.

If you are a person who just wants to make games quickly and have fun with more of the artistic aspects of games, I suggest you either check out UDK or Unity 3D, or maybe even something as simple as FPS-Creator (on this website).

TheComet

"Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep." - Unknown
New Emperor
Years of Service
User Offline
well I am unemployed and looking for job it may help showing that i can better myself i am also learning HTML5 as i have nothing better to do i may as well see how the pros do it I have a good idea for a game and I just need the total control that only a proper programing package can give me so I guess I will give it a shot.

thanks

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/microsoft.png
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 22:42
And break up your sentences a bit with some commas or periods, it makes you seem more professional.

TheComet

"Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep." - Unknown
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 23:09
Also it should be mentioned, DBP has a slight measure of investment but make sure to look at Dark Game Studio if you plan on sharing stuff around... as it gives you a licence for DBP and some bundle of goodies that can help you get started and keep you busy...

Oh and Welcome to the forums ... your new second home, no tax claims allowed >.<

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2012 17:26
DBP is a great starting point for beginning programmers. Don't mistake it with "how the pros do it" though, DBP is at the very bottom of the programming food chain.

TheComet

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2012 19:43
It's free. So why not give it a try. If you're interested in something a bit more marketable, check out AGK.

"You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!" ~Tick

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 23:22:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 23:22:43