Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / Boarded Demo [X9]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2012 02:57 Edited at: 18th Oct 2012 03:02
Hi there everybody! It's mini here, bringing you another game, but first I have to tell you something.

Storyline:

Something has boarded your ship. You don't know who they are or what thier intentions are yet, but you know they're dangerous. Follow our hero, David, and his companion, the radio operator, as they travel throughout the space ship to solve the problem, repel the attack, and save the ship.

Madnatory Pictures Ahoy!

Now before we begin, I'm so sorry for the catastrophy known as best friend: beginnings. I was simply trying to mix in my nostalgic pre-game making level design ideas mixed in with FPS Creator. (It didn't turn out good).

With that aside, I want to present to you a far newer project that has been in the works for a few months. I would like to say that Boarded is less about how the game looks, and more about how the game plays. It's based on level design (NEW level design, by the way) which will give the game some strange flare when playing it.

Download here:
Official game:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ut8a9wcdmrr1blj
Version 1.1 patch
http://www.mediafire.com/?lqdyaz5et7k3gpe

The game was made using FPS Creator X9 version 1.19

If you want to be able to play this game without falling through the map 24/7, I recommend you download the patch.

Please don't forget to comment below on what you think about this game. What bugs should be fixed, and what encounters should be improved for my official version.

Also, check out my work in progress thread, as I work down the road to finishing the project.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199721&b=25

Thank you for playing, don't forget to write a review.

(P.S. Yes, I also know that the game is VERY stock heavy. It's not about the custom weapons and characters and segments, it's about the gameplay, and how fun it is).
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2012 15:02
The first level was quite fun. The gameplay was satisfactory, but I was still left hoping for more visually. At least something to make it look a tad more interesting. There's nothing wrong with simplicity by all means, and the architecture was quite interesting. I just wish there was some entities on top the occasional boxes. The tables and beds also looked way out of place for that setting. The stock sci-fi library has better fitting items in there.

On the second level I run out of ammo. It doesn't make sense that you can't pick up the enemies weapons. Also the enemies on the first room are invisible, so are the allies. It's a shame I can't continue forward, as I really enjoyed the gameplay so far. I hope you keep up and improve on this

Mini0013xx
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The first level was quite fun. The gameplay was satisfactory, but I was still left hoping for more visually. At least something to make it look a tad more interesting. There's nothing wrong with simplicity by all means, and the architecture was quite interesting. I just wish there was some entities on top the occasional boxes. The tables and beds also looked way out of place for that setting. The stock sci-fi library has better fitting items in there.

On the second level I run out of ammo. It doesn't make sense that you can't pick up the enemies weapons. Also the enemies on the first room are invisible, so are the allies. It's a shame I can't continue forward, as I really enjoyed the gameplay so far. I hope you keep up and improve on this "

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it to an extent. I'll definitely try to get more out there, in terms of entities.

As for you not being able to pick up weapons, I wanted to make it as though you did not know how to work them, for they worked in strange, non-familiar ways.

And if you think you're losing all your ammo, then feel free to kill your allies for them, they have plenty.

Also, make sure you look around. I can tell you for a fact that not a single segment is used to make something look good, everything has a purpose.

In other words, there are a lot of easter eggs to hunt.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2012 12:09
Quote: "As for you not being able to pick up weapons, I wanted to make it as though you did not know how to work them, for they worked in strange, non-familiar ways"

That's a good idea. This could be explained through a sound zone?

Quote: "And if you think you're losing all your ammo, then feel free to kill your allies for them, they have plenty."

Sounds fair Wouldn't like to be the protagonists ally myself

Quote: "Also, make sure you look around. I can tell you for a fact that not a single segment is used to make something look good, everything has a purpose."

All right, I will search around more.

fredboy51
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2012 17:01
Im downloading now, looks alright. At least better than a few other fpsc made games....I'll give you my review when I finish playing...

fredy rules all
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2012 17:40 Edited at: 25th Nov 2012 17:44
Focussing on gameplay in the very first place is a really good perspective working with FPSC in my view! There's nothing wrong with doing this with stock media!!

I'll be writing a review soon

Wicked Blood Gaming
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2012 20:49 Edited at: 25th Nov 2012 20:53
ALright made it to level 4 and gave up.
WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE
-Remove fall Damage
(After dying I would spawn and die again)
(Going too fast downstairs apparently made me trip and fall on the
muzzle of my gun, then setting it off...or I just broke my spine in half)
-More health
-More guns, not enough variety
-This is a ship right? It doesn'tlook like a ship. Just seemed like endless stairs and paths to nothing. With the occasional control panel. More clutter needs to be added, and make it look more like the interior of a ship.
-My allies would shoot me...
-Sometimes I die in one hit? Question mark
EDIT: It entertained me for about 10 minutes until I got to the later levels.
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 14:56 Edited at: 26th Nov 2012 15:05
Here is the promised review:

First Impression 8/10
Gameplay 8/10
Graphics 4/10
Sound 4/10

Overall 6/10

I love games distributed with ClickTeam products, so the installer and patch make a good first impression, so does the well designed menu and loading screen.
Since I love action gameplay, I really enjoyed this game. The enemy placement was varied and there was even a suprise ambush, so: Well done!
I personally would have preferred having more ammo for a game that's focused on action gameplay. And there is a bug: When I start level 2, I always die once before I can go on.
I overall had pretty much trouble finishing level 2 because there were quite some situiations that did not provide enough cover for me.
The graphics were pretty weak, but this is not because you are using stock media, but you are using it in the wrong way. You did not take the time to place entities, any kind of furniture apart of a few rooms. And don't mix WW2 and Sci-Fi entities if there is no obvious reason for it - the sci-fi libraries would easily have had the supplies for Boarded.
The voice acting was a cool thing, but your voices sound pretty bored all of the time. You could easily get some emotion into your voice overs! Some music would have been a nice addition, too. One more tip: Place voice overs so they do not overlap with any action scene the player may get into. Also: Speak a little slower.
And don't overdo that door-is-locked-thing. It's fun once, but gets pretty boring then. Invent new stuff for your players, the possibilities are unlimited!
Finally, I would like to give you the hint to place allies in a way the player won't accidently shoot them when trying to hit an enemy. I know, it's the players own fault, but - it just feels wrong

I hope you're not mad because I took so much words and time to criticize your demo. I hope this feedback helps you somewhat to improve your game, it's a very good start - but not polished!

Keep it up

Mini0013xx
Years of Service
User Offline
Before I begin, I would like to thank both of you for your reviews!

Quote: "ALright made it to level 4 and gave up.
WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE
-Remove fall Damage
(After dying I would spawn and die again)
(Going too fast downstairs apparently made me trip and fall on the
muzzle of my gun, then setting it off...or I just broke my spine in half)
-More health
-More guns, not enough variety
-This is a ship right? It doesn'tlook like a ship. Just seemed like endless stairs and paths to nothing. With the occasional control panel. More clutter needs to be added, and make it look more like the interior of a ship.
-My allies would shoot me...
-Sometimes I die in one hit? Question mark
EDIT: It entertained me for about 10 minutes until I got to the later levels. "

I tell you now, I have made a decision to take out a few of the enemies in some of the missions. (Slim it down so that the game progressively gets harder, rather than starts to get harder than stops after the fourth mission).

Now, as for detail and stuff, I'm trying to make the game have the same feeling as one of my favorite games, Marathon. (it's a really old game.)

You can see it here:

Level 3 of Marathon
[link]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5FsL7R30J0&feature=BFa&list=PL5FBFAA6483DED33B[/link]
Level 27 of Marathon
[link]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Degfp5dBnAg&feature=BFa&list=PL5FBFAA6483DED33B[/link]

At the time I was trying to replicate the feeling with a lot of enemies, hard gameplay and the like. Of course, my goal now has changed. I have added a few more things in the first four missions, but I want to leave the space fairly open.

Also, I was planning on giving the player his second weapon somewhere over levels 5-9.

Oh yeah, also, I don't think anyone noticed because it's a bit out of the way, but I noticed that level 2 would be a little hard, so I added a health regeneration area to the right of the player. (Actually heals the player's health to 300%). It's after the encounter where you get ambushed. (teehee)

Quote: "Here is the promised review:

First Impression 8/10
Gameplay 8/10
Graphics 4/10
Sound 4/10

Overall 6/10

I love games distributed with ClickTeam products, so the installer and patch make a good first impression, so does the well designed menu and loading screen.
Since I love action gameplay, I really enjoyed this game. The enemy placement was varied and there was even a suprise ambush, so: Well done!
I personally would have preferred having more ammo for a game that's focused on action gameplay. And there is a bug: When I start level 2, I always die once before I can go on.
I overall had pretty much trouble finishing level 2 because there were quite some situiations that did not provide enough cover for me.
The graphics were pretty weak, but this is not because you are using stock media, but you are using it in the wrong way. You did not take the time to place entities, any kind of furniture apart of a few rooms. And don't mix WW2 and Sci-Fi entities if there is no obvious reason for it - the sci-fi libraries would easily have had the supplies for Boarded.
The voice acting was a cool thing, but your voices sound pretty bored all of the time. You could easily get some emotion into your voice overs! Some music would have been a nice addition, too. One more tip: Place voice overs so they do not overlap with any action scene the player may get into. Also: Speak a little slower.
And don't overdo that door-is-locked-thing. It's fun once, but gets pretty boring then. Invent new stuff for your players, the possibilities are unlimited!
Finally, I would like to give you the hint to place allies in a way the player won't accidently shoot them when trying to hit an enemy. I know, it's the players own fault, but - it just feels wrong

I hope you're not mad because I took so much words and time to criticize your demo. I hope this feedback helps you somewhat to improve your game, it's a very good start - but not polished!

Keep it up "

I know one or two encounters in the second level that need cover, but for the most part is okay.

I know I could do better with the voices, and I'm trying, but it's a little hard. I'm gonna try to do another version though, don't you worry.

As for the soundtrack, I'm actually in work of developing an entire OST for Boarded. It's supposed to be 20 levels long after all.

Finally, I have deleted most of the WW2 assets and replaced them with scifi assets. Things should look a little nicer upon release.
Mini0013xx
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey everyone! I know it's long over due, but I've finally done the walkthrough for the Boarded Demo! You can watch the videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9nJHeM7QPA&feature=youtu.be
Level 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROm3JLOdW0Y
Level 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-38CD589OVk
Level 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Ws0QRsb4s
Level 4
Muzzles56
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 10:26 Edited at: 19th Mar 2013 10:39
I cannot run it! Ive installed it into the default directory and upon starting a new game I get error "13". It starts normally but when i click, it crashes. When I dont click, it crashes after 2 minutes or so.

Nevermind, moving the game to the desktop worked.

I got to level 2 when the game just stopped. It then said "Loading Level 2". So I thought nothing of it at first. Until it finished loading, then brought up the same loading screen. It seemed to load level 2 for an eternity and the game wouldnt continue... How odd
Mini0013xx
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I cannot run it! Ive installed it into the default directory and upon starting a new game I get error "13". It starts normally but when i click, it crashes. When I dont click, it crashes after 2 minutes or so.

Nevermind, moving the game to the desktop worked.

I got to level 2 when the game just stopped. It then said "Loading Level 2". So I thought nothing of it at first. Until it finished loading, then brought up the same loading screen. It seemed to load level 2 for an eternity and the game wouldnt continue... How odd "

I'm sorry for the inconvienence. I do not own the respawn system I am using (for I don't even know HOW to script very well).

But, glad to see the game works for you at least.

If the game stopped at level 2 in the initial loading screen, then I don't know what to do about it. :/ Perhaps a more advanced user could answer that question.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2013 21:07
I'm really surprised by some of the comments here. I think I remember Xplosys or so complain about how this community got hostile but this is a prime example of how nice and friendly everyone around here is. Especially D0MINIK who gives this a 6 out of 10 and then hopes you wont be mad.

Alright: I made it to level 5 and got stuck in a wall (thats not your fault) and ended it there. I think it was 5...could be 4. Its the one where you get to the elevator . (that was the punchline...you always get to the elevator/door/switch here)

Alright, now, I try to be as constructive as I can about this:

Quote: "Yes, I also know that the game is VERY stock heavy. It's not about the custom weapons and characters and segments, it's about the gameplay, and how fun it is"

There is the first problem. I know, that since graphics in videogames have reached stellar quality and since its no longer "wowing" the average player...also since the beginning of the hippster internet movment where everything with a high production value is deemed as shallow and inferior to older games. Until the game we have now will be goldies and people hate on the games of the future...complaining about the visual design of something will be immediately bashed. However, this is one of the primary aspects of shooters because FPS Games usually base the gameplay heavily around the map/location. Really think about it: The first shooters where so fascinating because of the 3D Navigation. It was new and fresh and action packed. You didnt play doom because of the complex gameplay did you? Even Half-Life and its sequel, which are highly praised have this simple essence: LEVEL/SHOOTING/ENEMIES/SITUATIONS. They inject story and simple puzzles aswell as mood enhancing moments but at its core its LEVEL/SHOOTING/ENEMIES/SITUATIONS. These aspects need to shine for the gameplay to be any fun. However, you fail at them. Alright, before I get into the core aspects that are wrong about this game, lets point out some things you did well:

* Narration. Even though it was easy to tell that the game has been voiced by younger people, the narration was easy to understand and had some selfaware jokes at times. It was okay and added something to the game.

* There are 2 or three somewhat clever moments where enemies spawn and ambush you...more of that please.

* You changed the title and loading screen and spared me the awful stock soundeffects that usually played over them.

* It was always clear where to go, the levels had a reasonable size and sometimes sent you back over a clever route.

Now lets get into the negative aspects:

The first room immediately telegraphs the player that this game has entirely been clicked together in FPSCreator without any effort to add any kind of aesthetics, style, personalisation or other aspects of gamecreation to it.

It will be devoid of life, fun and feel like a quickly dragged and dropped together AI test level.

There is a wooden bed (you have scifi beds in your stockbank...) a wooden table and cosmics hightech wall texture shimmering at you in overly bright bloom effects. A mysterious voice tells you to get that gun on the table and off you go blasting through waves of repeating enemies which are usually not hitting you or placed in an unfair way. There is no cover or any way to cleverly approach enemies without taking damage. You just have to assume that you have a lot of hitpoints and brainlessly run and gun through the empty rooms.

Speaking of empty rooms and hallways. I kind of felt like I was in some kind of infernal cube movie and had to fight myself through waves of alienlike creatures and robots in sterile environments. You are best playing this game staying in aimmode with your tavor, that way you dont suffer from the recoil.

What follows are empty rooms with enemies that just seem to be randomly placed. You can mow them all down if you peek from a corner. A lot even dont hit you when you are standing in plain sight. It introduces enemie AI later on which immediately results in clusterhumps of semitransparent WW2 characters and scifi creatures which the player will just shoot all of because he will be frustrated at the time he reached that part of the game. There is also no negative effect or reason not to shoot your allies.

Here are some things you can change to instantly improve your game:

*Dont drag and drop stuff into maps, string them together and call it a game. Just because you can doesnt mean you should.

*Take another look at marathon: It has... coherent visualdesign. Interesting enemies, simple architecture rather than box/hallway/box/hallway. Try to jot down the enemies you like about this game and take a look at your own game as if you didnt make it yourself.

* Add some logic to your levels: Where is this/why is this room here/how did the enemies get here and where would they position themselves/why is the elevator switch here and what else could be here?

*Texture flickering: Hunt it down and kill it, its frequent and thats really amazing because there arent many objects in this game.

* I know its hard and takes some time, but oldschool games rely a lot on primitives for their leveldesign: (giant lowpoly pipes to walk over, lavapits, huge hexagonal areas etc.) so picking up the basics of modeling and texturing would be a cool idea.

* Play some other old shooters from the sprite era. Compare:
Fun/speed/flair/humour and gameplay. What do you like? What would you like to have in your game?

* Dont make your loading screens and interface in MSPaint. Old shooters often had really cool menues.

* Keep up the entertaining narrative but maybe add some emotion to it. I dont mean a realistic reaction to grinding down dozens of enemies, I can see you go for a lighthearted style, just...well... he seems a little bored. Maybe watch out not to add the voices where the player might still be shooting because I missed some dialogues because of gunfire.

* Sounddesign: Add some.

* You dont need to script very well...you can collect fun scripts around here on the forums if you like to. You do need scripts to have any kind of gameplay outside of "get to the switch" "get to the key" "shoot that".

I think its endlessly fascinating how you just announce that you want to focus on gameplay and everybody instantly agrees with you on that and gongratulates you on doing so yet what you use is the most basic things in FPSCreator/ FPS Games possible.

Just like the videogame "Okami". You just need to give your game a cellshaded look and japanese visuals and everyone will get overdefensive of an otherwise mediocre game and praise how it is a work of art in an otherwise shallow industry. Yet making a cellshaded toon plattformer/combat game is endlessly more easy for any CG Artist than delivering assets for even the most run-of-the-mill shooter. You just "marketed" something for focusing on gameplay rather than evil graphics to an indiegame making community and even though you have not yet done that, everybody instantly high-fives you.

Best luck with your further development. Nevermind my grammar, english is still not my native language

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
Without struggle,no progress and no result.Every breaking of habit produces a change in the machine.
Mini0013xx
Years of Service
User Offline
To start off, you're grammar was fine.

Now, let's take a look at a few things you said. Note that when this demo was released in October of last year, I've made many changes based on the graphical content and such in the game.

Now, you told me to use more than stock media. Sadly, I have a $0 budget. (Not exactly the richest person).

Now, onto the incoherancies in graphics and such.

I have, since the demo released, added multiple objects, as well as replaced many objects. Most of the wooden tables and stuff (if not all of them) are gone, replaced by the metal tables. There's more stuff on them. The hallways and rooms don't feel so blank anymore.

You can actually see a few pictures in the WIP page. (It's somewhere out there).

However, there is a problem. I know you complained about some things with the ai. First and foremost, there were WW2 soldiers. Sadly, I don't really have any other allied ai to give out (Besides the colonel and Aiko). And as for the semi-transparent to transparent ai, I don't know how to solve that. It just sort of happens in FPSC.

As for logic:
There would be more rooms and doors and such where there could be possible entry points for enemies. The sad thing is, the enemy ai (for whatever reason) appear to have this strange attraction to doors, in which they'll run through them, run on air all the way to another static/dynamic non usable door near you, and attack you from there. I actually have video in wireframe mode of about 6 enemies running straight through the walls of an elevator, run straight to the door right next to you, and come out of it, even though it's closed.

Texture flickering:
I had no problems with it in game, so I don't exactly know how to fix that.

Texturing and Modeling:
I know the basics of modeling. However, texturing... ug. And in 3D... I can't even imagine...

Loading Screens:
They weren't done in MS Paint. They were done in Gimp. I don't have the money to buy photoshop, and on top of that, I had 3 days worth of experience when I made those screens.

Other things:
The other objectives in the game will come later. There will be a lot of ambushes, because the enemies will have a different teleportation system than yours, which allows them to teleport anywhere they want to on the ship. (In other words, after these first 4 levels, watch your back).

Also, the first 4 levels do feel a bit pointless, but only because what you're doing is running away to a teleporter, so that the person on the radio (need to get a 2nd voice actor for that, and make radio static sounds) can actually tell you what's going on, and tell you some real objectives that you can do.

Sound Design:
I honestly never thought of that. (Though I did plan to make a soundtrack in place of it). I'll keep it in mind.

Switches in akward places and such:
Well, there's a thing with this. Most of the switches you flip are override switches. They control a large number of doors so that they become usable. So, they don't necessarily have to be in places with TOO much reason.

Now, for graphical things, I plan to re-release this demo with the newer things. It's still stock heavy, however I think everyone will agree the game will look a lot better.

Other than that, I'll keep your ideas in mind. Thanks for the criticism.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:15:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:15:47