Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / uv mapping help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive been doing my best to learn how to model and animate, and when im done with this ill surely release it to you guys but i was wondering if anyone can help me learn to UV map? i use maya and i could export it if itd be easier elsewhere. I looked around youtube and stuff but all the tutorials i found were kinda hard to understand. Can anyone help? Also attached is a screenie of the WIP m1911 if u guys wanna see. Thanks

It is better to stay silent and be thought a fool then to speak up and remove all doubt.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 21:53
Why that's a mighty fine pistol you made there. I use something called Lith Unwrap. I think it might help. It's simple and free, but they replaced the free version with a payed version, but if you use the power of google, you can find the free one on Cnet or something.

Best of luck!

Fulfilling the Nerevarine Prophecy, one trial at a time, because I... Am... The Nerevar!
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2012 00:01 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2012 00:03
Actually Maya has one of the best UV unwrapping programs built into it. I am sure there are plenty of tutorials out there on the web for that.

Biggest thing is be patient while doing it. Break the model up into sections and work on small patches at a time.

Bond1 did a uv unwrap tutorial for characters in this forum.

Put this in your search engine, UV unwrap in Maya

There are a few pages of tutorials.

Logrulz123
Years of Service
User Offline
okay thanks. ill try and figure it out. its funny u said that tho cuz everywhere i looked said to avoid mayas uv unwrapping haha

It is better to stay silent and be thought a fool then to speak up and remove all doubt.
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2012 01:04
Logrulz123

If you are having trouble getting to grips with the layout in Maya I also recomend taking a look at a third party program like 'Lith Unwrap' and as said previously 'be patient' because it will come to you eventualy.
I use a program (which I purchased) called 'Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro' which is one of the best and most useful programs I have bought so far and highly recomend it.

NOTE - The UV mapping process is much the same with most of the programs available but some have more features than others.

Good luck.
Logrulz123
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks ross. yea i heard a lot about UU3d i think i might get that. Also do you guys know if i can use the mp6 hands in the rig when i release it? Or should i use the stock ones?(or are they the same? )

Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2012 04:55
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2012 05:32
You may use MP6 hands in a release... I believe Simon (or whoever made them) allowed commercial use. Correct me if Im wrong though.

And to answer the original question, Maya does have one of the most advanced unwrapping tools... not sure why you would go outside. I remember the Max unwrapper had me really confused and it took a few months for me to realize HOW to use it. Once I did though my workflow speed was elevated almost 10 times... anyways, good luck with whatever you choose.

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Logrulz123
Years of Service
User Offline
can someone help me figure out the maya unwrap? cuz im trying here haha and it does not seem as simple as u guys make it out to be but its probably me

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 17:38:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 17:38:27