Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / [3D Math] Acknowledging 3D with 2D graphics

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Although I would love to continue my "TYPE-ing Tutor" thread, it's getting a little lengthy and it's switching topics constantly.

As background, it might help to read this thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=200911&b=6

So yeah, I have a 3d map that will soon be occupied by several characters. Each one has an "Action" bar that will use a code very similar to the one on the thread, a 2d object drawn relative to the 3d character.

I want to have the meters displayed directly beneath the character, ignoring any obstacles, and NOT scaling to the relative size, so it's always readable. Sort of like the floating names in Minecraft.

I'm also looking to create an arrow for selecting a target with the classic Final Fantasy "hand flicker". Pretty much the same parameters, but it flickers and I think it scales. Does anybody know off-hand if the FF7/FF8 targeting hand actually scaled to distance? And how to create a consistent flicker effect for it? I don't own either of the games anymore ( ) so I have no way to check.

Since I'm starting 3d, it would be nice if someone told me a program for editing/creating 3d models.

Also, does anybody have a link to a nice, solid particle effects tutorial? I really could use one.

As a reward to those who help me, I just MIGHT give them this RPG camera code I'm working on, although it's only partially finished at the moment. It's designed for circular panning around a field, nice and smooth-like.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 24th Oct 2012 03:18

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 16:40:08
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 16:40:08