Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [x9] Dark Dreams

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2012 19:51 Edited at: 25th Oct 2012 19:52
Dark Dreams

(Yes, I couldn't come up with a worse name)

Story:
I've been encountering strange dreams. Dreams of terror beyond belief. I can't be sure on what's real and what's a dream anymore. I have scars that I received in a dream, but I may have made them myself, I'm just not sure anymore.

I tried to overdose on any medication I could find. I didn't want to live anymore, I just want to be free of all of this. Having second thoughts, I called an ambulance to get me, right before I passed out. Now I'm laying in my home. It's a matter of time 'till they come and take me to a hospital, but who know's if they're able to help me. Who know's if I fall deeper into the dream, and end up in my deepest nightmares.

Description:
This project is an old one. I have only made some minor changes and used the Vishnu Launcher for it. If you run into some bugs or something game breaking which I didn't notice, please comment. I would be happy to build this a couple of times more

Actually one of my favorite scenes from the game, I thought that I'd save it for the ones that play it, but I wanted to show it off to people who may not be interested in downloading (and maybe get them to)

Download:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/22529079/Dark_Dreams_rar

Comments and criticism would be great! Keep in mind this is a small game I decided to finish now, so that you have something while I'm doing Zombified 2. Also, you can (hopefully) expect another project, which is something different for me (not horror, not zombies, lots of action and guns), that I decided to do while my real PC was broken, which had all the Zombified 2 stuff in there.

Thanks for reading!

The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2012 22:57
This is trippy! I tried to make a game like this called "Infinite Dreams", but it was added to my infamous "Abandoned Projects" folder. If you want you can use the name.

Fulfilling the Nerevarine Prophecy, one trial at a time, because I... Am... The Nerevar!
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2012 23:00
Nice setpiece on the second shot!

There are a lot of dreambased games around here... good thing I abandoned that concept

I take a look at this over the we and give you my thoughts!

doopus
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know if it's just me, but I was extremely confused. I'll post my questions in code, in case there are any spoilers.

Another thing that bothered me was the sounds. I didn't like how you used the stock teleport sound, and I felt that the "adding health" sound was unnecessary. Also, I found a strange bug where the music restarts every time I crouch.

However, I did really like what you did with the enemies, and the level design was pretty nice. I do hope that the problems I encountered were simple scripting errors that can be fixed, because I do want to finish the game!

*This post will self-destruct in 10 seconds.*
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks very interesting, nice design ideas.

You only have one life ... Abuse it well.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 06:25 Edited at: 26th Oct 2012 06:27
Thanks Nerevar!

Quote: "There are a lot of dreambased games around here... good thing I abandoned that concept"

I probably would have too, but this is one that I started a long time a go and decided to finish now.

doopus:

Thanks to you also Rolfy!

doopus
Years of Service
User Offline
That was much better than my first playthrough!

You did a great job with the level design. It did feel very dream-like and each of the levels had their own distinctive feel to them. The atmosphere was also pretty unnerving. I wasn't a big fan of some of the jump scares, but I liked it overall.

Gameplay was fairly basic, but I felt that it was more about the atmosphere than the gameplay. My biggest gripe was that I had no idea that F was the use key (I guess I haven't played a FPSC game in a while). I figured that out only after going into the custom key binding options. I think that it should have been more apparent, but that's just a minor complaint. One side note - this is the first time that I have ever used a save game in a FPSC game. It works!

Actually, the custom program you used for settings was pretty awesome. Giving the user the ability to customize their graphics and controls is something that is seriously lacking in stock FPSC. I'd love to use something similar for my games!

I think the area that you could have improved on the most was the sound. The ambient "music" pieces that you used were pretty effective, but the monster sounds were a little lacklustre. In fact, some of the monsters made no sound at all. I also think that getting rid of the default teleportation and Win Zone sounds would have helped you. However, the sounds that you did use were appropriate, and it added to the game nicely.

All in all, it was a great effort. My heart nearly dropped when the last level began; it was pretty terrifying. My hands are actually still a little sweaty. The atmosphere and design was very good, and I look forward to playing your next game!

7.5/10

*This post will self-destruct in 10 seconds.*
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 08:05
Bravo! Very creepy! Got to the
and had to stop for a bit to let my heart stop raceing.

Disturbing13
Dev Forum Store
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 14:38
Awesome game, a nice mix of puzzles and environments The trippy atmosphere is really nice too.

Slenderman's Shadow - Sanatorium
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199408&b=35
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 20:57 Edited at: 26th Oct 2012 21:29
Quote: "My biggest gripe was that I had no idea that F was the use key (I guess I haven't played a FPSC game in a while)."

Yeah, I think I should tell the buttons in the pause menu or something.

Quote: "Gameplay was fairly basic, but I felt that it was more about the atmosphere than the gameplay."

Yeah, yeah that's a good excuse... it's not about the gameplay... just kidding, I wanted to make an atmospheric game. Glad to hear that I pulled it off!

Quote: "I'd love to use something similar for my games!
"

I got it from here. It's worth every penny.

Quote: "I also think that getting rid of the default teleportation and Win Zone sounds would have helped you."

Dang, this seems to happen in my games. I did replace the teleporter sounds, but it seems as if I forgot in the last build and didn't notice to change it. Thanks for mentioning, I'll be more observant (wow, I'm using a big word) in the future.

Quote: "My heart nearly dropped when the last level began; it was pretty terrifying. My hands are actually still a little sweaty. The atmosphere and design was very good, and I look forward to playing your next game!"

Wow, thanks! I guess it's not so scary for me when I designed the game, but glad that I scared some people off with this!

Thanks for the review!

Quote: "Bravo! Very creepy! Got to the
and had to stop for a bit to let my heart stop raceing."

Two in a row, I think I pulled that off better than I at first thought. It is one of my favorite scenes in the game, even if I say so myself. Thanks for the comment!

Quote: "Awesome game, a nice mix of puzzles and environments The trippy atmosphere is really nice too."

Thanks! Glad you like it!

PS. This must be a record for the amount of word "glad" used in a post

ALSO! Anyone who knows where the texts on the loading screens are from, gets a virtual cookie!

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2012 05:16
Downloaded and tried to play this. While I think this genre has potential this particular game...meh.

1. Walking through complete darkness, heading only towards a little light on a wall is not, in my opinion, very scary. There was no music, no obstacles, no indication that there were things off to the left or right. All that existed was dark and a small light on the far wall.

2. Exception to the above: At one point some...thing, I guess...attacked me. No weapons, so unable to defend myself. However, the thing just died after some time. This was also not scary, but frustrating. It is frustrating to me (at least) to be confronted by an attacking enemy that appears right in front of you, yet I have no way to defend myself. Had it not just up and died, I think the character would have.

3. I got stuck. I got into some study room after the darkness/lights thing, and as I approached one of the doors I teleported into a library. Ok, not bad. But neither of the doors in the library would open no matter what key I hit, and there was nothing in the library that was searchable no matter what key I hit. I am confused as to what to do here.

4. After being in the library for a bit and essentially hitting every key after taking 2 steps (I'd take 2 steps, methodically depress every key on the keyboard, then take 2 more steps, repeat) in an attempt to get something to happen, the game ab-ended. When I tried to relaunch the game, it failed to relaunch. I rebooted my machine and then it launched, but for some reason it just stopped working.

All in all, I'm not that thrilled with the game experience. So much promise, too little delivery. At least for me.

Priest of the Church of Joe Wood

In memory of Nanee. 9/1/1993 - 5/16/2009. Rest in Peace, little girl.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2012 07:24
Quote: " I got stuck. I got into some study room after the darkness/lights thing, and as I approached one of the doors I teleported into a library. Ok, not bad. But neither of the doors in the library would open no matter what key I hit, and there was nothing in the library that was searchable no matter what key I hit. I am confused as to what to do here."

I'll put this in code snippet, so no-one gets spoiled:

Sorry that it didn't do anything for you, maybe I'll do some redesigning and release an alternate version or a completely new version. The light following part is a bit umbra inspired and I tried to mix in something from the SCP-087-B game. Understand if you don't, as it's just a game and they're supposed to be fun and if they're not they're really unpleasant to go through, but if you could go through the last 2 levels, now that you have an idea what to do. It would be good, so that I could know what I should change and improve on if I decide to do another build, or just for reference in the future.

Also, the use key in default is "f", but it can be changed from the options menu in the launcher, where you can also disable bloom and all that stuff if you don't like it. But anyways, I'll thank you for your review, hope that next time I can deliver on the promises better!

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2012 16:15
Oh. Umm....ok, I think.

The major problem I have with your solution to my being stuck is that there is nothing in-game that gives any clues as to how this works. If you are thinking that I should have picked up on the lantern because I had to follow the lights earlier, then your clue is extremely obscure and is probably not going to be picked up on by all except those who really think perpendicular to the general population.

My point here is that without getting the spoiler walkthrough from you, I would have never known to do that. There aren't any tips or hints in-game to let me know I had to do this. All games at least give clues as to what you have to do next, and this game is lacking those clues.

Again, this wasn't scary or creepy. Not to me. Maybe I'm just overly desensitized to horror due to the amount of zombie killing games I play (heck, think about my forum name for a second). But it didn't do anything for me, especially after I got stuck.

If you come out with another version or even another game, I'll give that a shot. Each game gets its own shot to impress, so if another is coming I will definitely try it.

Thanks for listening to the voice of one gamer.

Priest of the Church of Joe Wood

In memory of Nanee. 9/1/1993 - 5/16/2009. Rest in Peace, little girl.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:07:34
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:07:34