Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Underlight

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2012 00:41 Edited at: 26th Nov 2012 21:06
Hello, It's madmaz once more.

After being away on vacation, I've returned to my hobby of game making. here is the thing. On my vacation, I made a friend, also casual to the odd game and the other. Me and him were talking and talking and I decided to join up our ideas a work on something. It's quite the ambitious project. Here it is.

Underlight.

This game consists of a generated game world, much like minecraft, however in 2D. In this game, as you travel, you find people, talk to them, find cities, items, dungeons. All sorts of things.

It's meant to be a text adventure, with some graphical details (such as a world map and inventory screen).

also all the text files in the text folder can be edited to add even more variety to the game.

Some people, on and off the forum talked about getting arrow key movement installed, so I did that. I tested it out, and I admit it is an improvement.

I'll join here a list of things done and to do:
Random world map
Player movement
Player collision
Small Local Desc
HUD for world map
People and Items
Item Equipping
Environmental interaction
City Generation
City houses and shops
Dungeons
Enemies
Battles and fights

Other features might be included, but this is mainly what I want in the First Release Demo. I'll post the Link to it here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/93975337/Text%20Adventure.rar

New Recently added Features:
Arrow Key Moviment

Many thanks if you test it out. Source Code is included. I'm a little messy when I first start out a program, after the first major changes in the source I'll clean it up a big. Sorry. Do tell me if you find some ambiguous code or some mistakes, I'm not really the best, or really good at all.

Programing is not as easy as it seems at first... the learning is never really over...
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2012 12:40
How do you control the player?

TheComet

- The codebase
madmaz
Years of Service
User Offline
You can move the player using a command. In this case using the command "GO,UP" or you can just leave out the comma and use "GO UP"

Instead of UP, you can use [DOWN,LEFT or RIGHT]

Programing is not as easy as it seems at first... the learning is never really over...
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2012 13:23
I had to add a msvcr71.dll file and copy the smaller underlight.exe from the sub-folder underlight to main directory before it would start. When I start the larger exe the screen is filled with a lot of colored F,W etc and I can't do anything :-P

The byte chrunchers are coming...
DIVIDING BY ZERO/BECAUSE WE SUCK...
madmaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, that file in my dropbox is kinda outdated, I'll update it now. Sorry about that. The coloured Letters are in fact the world map >.<

It's now fixed. (I hope)

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 23:36
I did, in fact, try your game after I did those things I walked around for a bit I missed the option to just use the arrow keys for moving :-P

madmaz
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess it Does get kind of tiresom after a little bit of playing. I think I'll add arrow key moviment on the next update.

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2012 16:07
Cool I will try the next update I am looking forward to trying out more options

madmaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Arrow key movement has now been implemented, thanks Cybermind for the heads up

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2012 23:46
Cool I will check back now and then so please say when you can do stuff or you need testing

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2012 11:08
I was taking a quick look on some of the code and you wrote in the following part that you believe it is case sensitive (a compare function in the source file string functions). If you don't want it to be case sensitive you just put both strings in lower$() or upper$() for the comparing part, this makes sure the compare function is not case sensitive

I have added the lower$() here in your source

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2012 11:10
How do you examine things, btw?

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 22:09
Any updates on the project? Not to rush you!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 14:00:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 14:00:03