Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / 3D modeler making models for free.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2012 12:02 Edited at: 14th Nov 2012 04:39
Hello, Alias is Vorgra

Just putting a Post in this forum stating the Following:

I am (in my opinion) a talented modeler which uses 3dsmax, and previously used Sketchup.

I have recently been making models and helping the Devs on a game called - Blockade Runner, the game.

I am willing to make basic models "assests" as they are called for free, simply Email me on baweldon@hotmail.com.au for the model to be made with a relatively decent concept sketch of "ideally" XYZ of the requested model, unless your after a crate or something of such simplicity just supply a image of any sort and ill make what is contained in the image.

The below link will provide you with a few images of a variety of models, the rendered images are from Sketchup.

http://s364.beta.photobucket.com/user/aboarash/library/Models

I have done easily 100+ Low poly models for Blockade Runner, but I deemed them unfit for showcase (mainly cause there where so many)

I can do texturing, animating and learn to rigg in your style, however anything beyond simply modeling takes time due to me not having invested much time these paths yet. I am still willing to have a go.

Below I have two links to two youtube videos that contain several rendering attempts in 3dsmax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnSCW2lcuEo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iacWjxUk5I

I Consider myself very good at optimizing models for game use, simply ask what number of triangles you want on the model and I will strive to achieve that triangle count.

And I think that's about it.

Please understand - (i) that at no point will I accept money directly or indirectly with relation to the use of this program (ii) or the results of the use of this program,(iii) also once a model is handed over [whether the model be complete or incomplete] I take no responsibility in the damages the model/s may or may not cause.
GregA
Years of Service
User Offline
I could use some low poly doors for a spaceship I am doing in a stupid amount of detail. These will be slider doors, that disappear into pockets or floor when players approach.

I need control centers, with associated random machinery. Think Star Trek bridge consoles here...

I am not really trying to make a game at this point. More of a interactive mystery story. Basically, you wake on a space ship and you have to figure out what happened. The player has to explore the ship and get various systems working again.

Really my only goal is to make a fairly complex model/level, then get it to load into DBPro and have some interactive elements. For example, doors that open and close. Perhaps a cut scene done in game engine.

The cut scene I have in mind is luring a ~whatever~ to an airlock, and opening the airlock to eject the ~whatever~ from the space ship. Then using physics and ragdolls to animate the ejection process.

So far I have a frigate size ship all modeled out, with walls, floors and doorways.. I have some pipes connecting various systems in the ship. Then the whole thing fits into a superstructure, where parts inside the ship match parts from outside the ship... The goal here is so that I can do one possible ending where the ship breaks apart, and the player can see and recognize various elements from the ship, as it breaks apart.

I do have a grand agenda... It is just that the amount of work that I can do is limited by hours in the day, and it takes a lot of work to make even a small space ship that is designed even at these limited levels of plausibility.

I really want to stay away from FPS dynamics in my game. The antagonist in my game is the environment of deep space... You know the idea that hey, this is an airlock, I wonder what happens if I open this door... ~whoosh~ Think 2001 a space odyssey, rather than Star Wars for the level of action.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 13th Nov 2012 00:03
Hello Vorgra - a late welcome to the forums... but welcome either way

I may ask you to model something for me, just need to make some sketches, do you do rigged models too?

PS, only one video link works... the other is dead...

I can understand you wish to build your portfolio, I may pay you if the quality is good I am looking for a mechanical model, looks like you may be able to fulfil

kingofmk98
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2012 01:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iacWjxUk5I&feature=plcp
this is the broken link. and i may ask for you to model something for me too. your stuff looks great!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2012 06:13 Edited at: 13th Nov 2012 16:13
What kind of license do you have for 3DS Max?

Rage Daughter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2012 06:14
Good looking stuff, I may contact you.

Have a great day

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2012 20:20
Quote: "What kind of license do you have for 3DS Max?"

+1

Vorgra
Years of Service
User Offline
Educational Stand-alone (Individual) License

I went through http://www.autodesk.com/FY13/Suites/LSA/en-US/lsa.html

I believe it states that "I" the holder of this license can at no point make a profit from this program, It can only (under this licence) be used for educational purposes whether they be personal (self educated) or under a faculty.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 17:21
You can't distribute work created with that version. It's for personal use only. Sorry.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 21:03
educational use only - and non commercial

not sure if that indicated that you cant distribute?

Whose eyes are those eyes?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 21:27
Quote: "not sure if that indicated that you cant distribute?"

Grey area, but usually any form of distribution can be considered a form of business... to put it simply... you made a contract to submit something... contracts = trade usually... before I go off the dot, you get what I mean...

However should someone find information to the contrary

Vorgra
Years of Service
User Offline
To be honest I am not quite sure.

With that being said, Trade is defined as the sale of goods or merchandise, where exchange occurs (whether it be money|goods|merchandise).

Commercial is to have profit as the main aim.

So far it doesn't say that what is produced in the program licensed to me cannot be distributed.

There is nothing saying it can be distributed, but there is definitely stuff saying it cannot be distributed "if" profit or exchange is the result of the action.

This is a bit of a loop hole, which should be clarified by Auto desk.

So for now free distribution is not illegal or legal, it is at the discretion of both ends of the chain, with both party's accepting full well that policy's may change and may cause previous actions to become violations.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2012 15:55
You said it yourself,

Quote: " where exchange occurs (whether it be money|goods|merchandise)."

If you are giving someone a model, and if you successively receive something in return, be it goods, services or whatnot cash... that is an exchange... none-the-less...

But I agree, someone should contact Auto Desk for clarity... I think I shall nominate the OP, as it is primarily of their concern ^^

Vorgra
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes I said exchange myself, but a no point did I say I was receiving anything in return for the models.

Ill look into contacting Autodesk
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2012 00:37
Quote: "One of the most basic restrictions you'll see with content covered by a Creative Commons license is the non-commercial clause.

This is a legal definition, so it is simple enough to find out exactly what that means. Well, simple in one sense. The definition of commercial use is broad, covering more than just obvious 'profit-making' uses. In practise, the term is equivalent to income-generating use of any kind, whether direct or indirect. If you use content for general research, even if not for any specific purpose, and you or your organisation generates income, that counts as commercial use. So does using content for pro-bono work (from the Latin pro bono publico, meaning 'for the public good', or working for free), if it also enhances your reputation or leads to income-generating work in any way whatsoever.

Basically, if there's as much as a sniff of commercial interest in what you're doing then it counts as commercial use. There's also no such thing as fair use in commercial contexts any more. A European Union directive passed in 2001 was finally made law in Britain in October 2003, and this put paid to the 'fair use' clause which allowed 'small' portions of a work to be copied for commercially-related purposes. This is still allowed for non-commercial work

"

What I got from that was pretty much that as long as neither parter has any intention of making money of off it, it should be fine

Whose eyes are those eyes?
GregA
Years of Service
User Offline
IANAL

However, way way way back in the 80's several different software companies tried claiming that they owned the spread sheets and word processor documents based on language in their EULA, and iirc they all lost those clauses of their EULA.

This clause reminds me of those cases. You do own the files you make with some bit of software, and Autodesk can't prevent you from using them however they see fit just because they claim ownership of those models that you make.

However, what they can do is revoke your license to Autodesk software.

But you own the models that you make with student versions of Autodesk, you are free to do with them as you please.

The language that the judge used was along the lines "this is like a pencil manufacturer claiming ownership of everything that was written with a pencil, or a paper manufacturer claiming the same"

I think the real world non lawyer version of what is going on her is this... If you make a model, and make some money off of it, Autodesk wants their cut. Nothing more, nothing less.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 21:52 Edited at: 20th Nov 2012 22:29
GregA - interesting...

But, the licence is about having made something using the product, and distributing without first taking a licence out as owning the product in the first place, that is like... I am taking a car to point B from point A, but I will not pay for the Petrol, Car or Highway/Road... [ignoring MOT stuff and Insurance for the time being]

Paying for the Petrol, allows consumption - At the point of refuelling at a pump, you often have the fuel in your car before having paid for it... [Unless its a prepayment Card system] in other words, it is not against the law, but a criminal offence to drive away [take your journey] without first having paid. Goods protection Act I believe...
In that scenario, 3DSMax is the Fuel...

Highway/Road...
This one is a funny one... because I can picture somebody mentioning travelling people not paying for this... let's just stick to local here for the sake of debate...
You pay a TAX to drive your car on constructed roads... even if you live out in the countryside, at some point you will be driving on a constructed road, we all need shopping or have bills/taxes to pay... at some point...
So again, 3DSMax is the Road Tax here, by all means use the road, but it is a criminal offence yet again, [which is against some Law or another again...] to use it without paying the tax for it...

My point here is... By all means the usage of the product for learning is wide open, they allow it... but generating any form of income or even distributing... is against the terms of the licence... as I believe the licence states for personal educational purposes only... personal does not mean third party...

Ah, shoot it... I give up on this point...

For me, I buy what I use... and I wholly respect creative talent, be it an individual or corporation... if that tool does what I need it to do, I respect their asking price... [should it be too high, I find another tool... it is that simple]

EDIT

I also want to add, these days TIME is also a form of currency too... [Pretty sure it has always been really...]

Lyonia Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2013 21:37
Sorry to interupt your discusion on legal stuff,but can we get back to the point...........please!

Lyonia 4 Life

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-19 09:47:14
Your offset time is: 2024-03-19 09:47:14