Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Random City - Demo and Screenshots

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2012 16:24 Edited at: 1st Nov 2012 16:25
Hi all,

I've been working on a random city generator to test concepts for my upcoming I World 2.

Well, this random city thing is so cool that I'm going to make it my main focus for now. Eventually, it will support a GTA-like open world game, but my first step is to make a sandbox.

I've already got some car physics/AI working which you can see in action in this DEMO.

To get a better view of the kind of cities that this thing can generate take a look at the screenshots below.

For now, work is focused on adding traffic to the city, then pedestrians. I'll then look at improving the city generator, adding a variety of vehicles, a player, weapons etc etc.

A lot of work to do.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2012 17:43
Looking good so far. It'd be cool to see some angular roads and buildings though. A lot of people go for a grid based approach with these generator type tools which is fine, but some more complex curves would put it in another league.

Perhaps look at paul5147's spline track system for some ideas. If you could add junctions and buildings to that, it'd be amazing!

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 00:53
looks sweet i'll be keeping an eye on this.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 01:43
NICE!

EYES PEELED!

hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2012 15:06 Edited at: 16th Nov 2012 15:06
A quick update and brand new demo!
NEW DEMO

Things I've been working on:
- multiple cars
- cars following the road
- improved car handling
- pedestrians following pavement

And here's a pic of cars and pedestrians (white balls). At the moment there are 50 cars and 50 pedestrians and its running smoothly. I anticipate that future additions will slow the game down so I'll implement a system where I only need around 10 cars that respawn closer to the player when far away.

hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
So, I just thought I'd update you all on my plans for the future of this project.

Randomcity:
I'm going to keep on developing this sandbox with randomly generated cities, vehicles, weapons, police etc. I'm thinking of releasing this for free.

My City (formerly I World):
A city editor, using the same tech. Allows players to create their own cities. The editor will cost around £10, but I'll be releasing the 'player' (the bit you load cities into to play), for free.

Rogue City:
Also based on the above tech, I'm going to make more of a gamey game. This will be a kind of mash up of GTA and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, in that you will unlock access to new cities by completing goals/missions in each city and accumulating money. Having seen the latest trailer for GTA 5, I feel the need to move this project away from a direct GTA clone (because that is simply madness).
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 16th Nov 2012 15:47
this is looking peachy

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2012 00:39
lookin realy sweet. keep up the good work.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
hmm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 15:21 Edited at: 21st Nov 2012 15:22
More pics showing off new graphics. Got 4 car types so far.

Player can also control a pedestrian now and steal a car. Making progress.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 20:34
This is awesome, really interesting project.

L3mmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2012 23:15
Will be watching this!...It's along similar lines of what I'm aiming for.

www.monsterwareltd.co.uk/imagehost <-- Image Hosting for your pictures
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 01:27
Those roads look nicely linked together. Looks like a fun interesting project to work on. Would be nice to see the cars drive; that's quite a road block at the junction; do they know where they are going?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:07:05
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:07:05