Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK .NET / [STICKY] Tutorial: Running Dark GDK.NET in Visual Studio 2012

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2012 12:08
Hey folks. This tutorial is based off of the the instructions posted for making projects in VS 2010 by Visigoth. Setting up DGDK.NET in 2010 and 2012 are very similar, if not identical. I've just put in more specific instructions to also help anybody new to Visual Studio.

It's actually a really simple process.

This is also in Windows 8, so if anybody was worried about Windows 8 compatibility then they can stop worrying.

http://seppukuarts.wordpress.com/2012/11/02/tutorial-dark-gdk-net-in-vc-2012/

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 4th Nov 2012 12:45
Thanks Sepp buddy I was thinking about this, so hopefully I can get GDK working in vs2012 and setup a project sometime soon as I really want to delve into C++ and then eventually the .NET Framework...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2012 18:32
No worries. Dunno how it works for Dark GDK & C++, but I guess it'll be the same process as getting it to work as in 2010. Also, I found when loading examples, I had to do very little to make it 2012 compatible for DGDK.NET, all I had to do was change the .NET framework from 4.0 to 3.5 and the projects ran fine.

This tutorial was directed a newbies to C#/VB anyway (because more people should use Dark GDK.NET, it's awesome ).

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2012 00:03
Quote: "This tutorial was directed a newbies to C#/VB anyway (because more people should use Dark GDK.NET, it's awesome )."

Totally agree!

[it is funny when we are interacting via your blog and here lol]

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 12:45
So DarkGDK.NET runs nicely on Windows 8 also? That's good to know tbh because I've found no issues under Windows 7, but I do concur that the project templates need to be updated. I'll try to integrate the templates into the build and get a new release out.

I was very supprised to see that the toolkit is still popular to some extent because the AppGameKit and FreedomEngine stuff is just awesome and people have appeared to of moved onto these tools now.

Paul.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 14:13
Yes APEXnow, C# is given a massive revival thanks to Windows 8, but it has been a long time endeavour of mine to learn it...

We do hope you can also help mod the AGK.NET version maybe ^^ it is open source and is on Codeplex or something... there is a single thread or three about it in the AppGameKit board, can you have a pry?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 18:04 Edited at: 4th Dec 2012 18:05
Quote: "So DarkGDK.NET runs nicely on Windows 8 also? That's good to know tbh because I've found no issues under Windows 7, but I do concur that the project templates need to be updated. I'll try to integrate the templates into the build and get a new release out.

I was very supprised to see that the toolkit is still popular to some extent because the AppGameKit and FreedomEngine stuff is just awesome and people have appeared to of moved onto these tools now.

Paul."

Not encountered any issues with it on Windows 8 so far. Seems to run very smoothly.

In regards to the tool kit, I bought it because I kind of had a dilemma, I loved Dark Basic Pro's commands and stuck to it for many years but also loved C#. I knew it was out of date and that there isn't much of a community out there, but doesn't mean it doesn't have its uses. Ideally I would love to see Dark GDK.NET have a bigger community, because it's an awesome way to get into C# and Visual Basic. I'll be using Dark GDK.NET for a project, I may see if I can get a demo out in the new year (and using VS2012 and Windows 8).

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2012 12:28 Edited at: 25th Dec 2012 12:14
Hi all,

I think this is great news!!!

Windows 8 opens the door to touch enabled controls, as well as sensor reading!

Now, in my opinion, DGDK.NET is up to date regarding next generation of PC videogames!

I'm using DGDK for my project, but I have had some problems moving into VS2012. I'll follow Seppuku Arts' tutorial and see how it goes.

So far DGDK runs smooth in Windows 8, please check this video running in Windows 8 with a DGDK VS2008 compiled program:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=511444235557066

It shows part of our new possibilities

As said, this is very exciting. I hope to be able to move DGDK into VS2012. Any help is appreciated

@Seppuku, Great Job!!!

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2012 12:55
Morcilla,

That's impressive tbh, I don't currently have Windows 8 at present so it's difficult to appreciate the use of touch controls on a PC screen, but from the video, it looks very interactive.

Paul.

granarout
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I've tried to use the Interop DGDKLib part of DGDK.NET on VS2012, but it doesn't let me use ANY class from it, with this error: Message "Could not load file or assembly 'Interop.DGDKLib, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded."

Does anyone know how to fix this?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2013 07:22
APEXnow - You do not need a touch screen for Windows 8...

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2013 12:04
Hi Paul,

It is a great experience, and it has improved a lot the overall feeling of my software.

It was a surprise that Windows 8 was already touch-enabling most of my gui controls.

And so, supporting Windows 8 brings intrinsic improvements.
I'm going to present this new version of my software to Lee Bamber, to see if TGC has a review over DGDK and gives support to DGDK / VS2012 / Win 8.

Best regards,
Manuel

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 05:01:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 05:01:20