Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Apple PC to generate iOS code

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am about to finish a game developed using AppGameKit Tier 1 Basic in my Windows PC. Actually, I do not own an Apple machine (in fact, I have never had one) so I have to buy one in order to generate iOS code and, because this is the only use I have for an Apple PC, I would like to consider getting a used one. What are the minumum configuration for an Apple machine? Is a MacPro notebook with 4GB RAM and OS 10.7 Lion enough for example?
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2012 22:31
I would assume a MacBook Pro that is capable of running Lion in the first place would probably do alright, especially as just a build machine. I wouldn't advise anything that isn't 64-bit capable.

In fact, if you are looking to use the Mac primarily for building iOS apps, and little else, I would recommend a Mac Mini. I'm sure you could find a used one for a good price, and if not, even a new one is cheaper than a MacBook.

Check on Apple's refurbished devices as well. I don't think there are any Mac Minis available at the moment but they come and go.

It's compact, fairly powerful, and probably perfect for your needs.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2012 16:33
A Mac Mini (certainly as new) is the least expensive option if you have a monitor, mouse and keyboard to use with it.

If you get a used one make sure it has the same processor as the current models (back when I got mine, there were comments about making sure to get the newer processor).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 6th Nov 2012 07:59
I third the notion of a Mac Mini

JORGEMAL
Years of Service
User Offline
If I get a Mac Mini, do I need a monitor, mouse and keyboard from Apple or I can use any?
DArt_LV
Years of Service
User Offline
You can use any monitor, mouse & keyboard!
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2012 18:52
You should also check online hosting services, like:

http://www.macincloud.com/

and

http://www.macstadium.com/?gclid=CNH92s20vbMCFUZgMgodJHQAtg

If you Mac use is eventual, the pay-per-hour plan seems interesting.

(*) I cannot endorse the services for I've never used them.

Cheers

Paulo

----------
Paulo
http://www.mobilecreators.com
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2012 19:17
I suspect using a cloud based mac by the hour would be a problem. You need to be able to install a bunch of stuff. Xcode handles a lot of it, once you've signed up with Apple. And I expect that it might look for hardware signatures and stuff.

I'd be very careful about using a cloud based mac.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
JORGEMAL
Years of Service
User Offline
Do I need that a used Mac be able of emulating iPhone?
What would be the minumum OS version?
I suppose that an Intel i5 would be the minimum CPU, is this correct?
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2012 01:55
You'll want a computer with at least Lion (10.7.4) and preferably a computer capable of running Mountain Lion, even if you have to drop the $20 yourself to upgrade. The latest version of Xcode on the Mac App Store won't run on anything earlier than 10.7.4, according to the system requirements.

If it runs Lion, you shouldn't have to worry about the processor (it only runs on Intel) and I don't think any Lion capable Mac would have much trouble with the iPhone simulator.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2012 04:15
Quote: "Do I need that a used Mac be able of emulating iPhone?"

Yes, any of the Mac family from Apple.

You can also use it connected directly to any iOS device to install and test directly on the device.

You will definitely need a Mac if you want to publish for Macs (it's in the Mac Developer License agreement). And it makes it easier to publish for iOS (I'm not sure of other methods for doing it, but the iOS Developer License agreement doesn't require that it be done on a Mac).

I use a Mac Mini. It generally costs less and you can put any monitor, keyboard, mouse you want on it (not tied to just the ones Apple sells). If you happen to have the peripherals, the Mac Mini is definitely the least cost way.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 16:06:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 16:06:23