Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Game in a Month: Ascend

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2012 21:26 Edited at: 6th Nov 2012 04:08

Game in a Month: Ascend

Hello. So, over the time I’ve spent learning dark basic and coding, I’ve learned a lot. But one of the things I’ve found out is that if you want to get something done, you have to give yourself some sort of motivation. Here’s my motivation! The objective of this project is to design a game, from start to finish, in the month of November. I’ll be posting updates and screenshots at least every week, or whenever I deem it a good time to post an update. At the end of the month, I’ll release whatever I have… hopefully finished!

Concept

The game I’m developing is going to be a 2.5d platformer. The basic gameplay will revolve around controlling and timing the momentum of your jumps so you can climb upwards. The game will be controlled with both mouse and keyboard. There will be two modes of gameplay: A classic mode made up of stages with different aspects such as enemies and moving elements, and a continuous mode in which you attempt to climb as high as possible. The game will feature a high score system that appears visually in game as you try to beat both your own and others’ scores.

Progress

Nov. 1st – Project concept created along with design outline.

Nov. 4th – Forum post created. I’m starting work on menu and basic gameplay.

Screenshots
November 4th, working on menu and color scheme:

November 5th, adding some simple basics for camera movement and level style. Added level editing out of necessity.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2012 22:46
Looking forward to seeing this progress.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2012 04:14
Hello, thanks! I've added a bunch of screenshots to the first post. Check them out! Yesterday and today I've been working on a few things.
First of all, I did some coding on the menu. Although it tends to be a bad habit to code a menu first, I like to do this because it allows me to get a feel for the visual style of my game. A menu is an easier playground for a visual style than an area with gameplay simply because a menu relies on the visuals to "work". I decided to use a simple style that made up of black, blue, and green colors. I stopped work on the menu after the first day however
I also started working on the game engine. There is no gameplay yet, but I've got a pretty good idea of what I want it to be like at this point. I'm coding a level editor ingame out of the need for it. The level data is in a grid, so the editor just saves the array to a datafile using matrix1 commands and loads them later. I believe this functionality is in Matrix1Util_29, if anyone's wondering.
Overall, I'm happy with the progress so far. I've surprised myself Watch this spot!

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 20:51
Any news? Oddly enough I'm working on a somewhat similar game for about 10 days now. So I'd really like to see where this is going.

Rizzo
Years of Service
User Offline
Interested to see what you do!
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2012 23:25
Sorry guys, this died simply from lack of motivation (ironically) and the time to code, especially around the holidays. I decided it was more important to continue slow and steady progress on my bigger projects rather than finish a smaller one. Maybe I'll come back to the idea sometime, though

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:55:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:55:47