Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK, outdated?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
The last update was October of 2010, right? This seems really outdated to me, and I've wondered if there's something else I should be using... is there a DarkGDK 2.0 (or something similar)?

if(awesome) return true;
Riktovitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Oops, excuse me. I didn't see the "DarkGDK 2.0" sticky. By the time I pressed "post" it was too late.

if(awesome) return true;
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 00:43
Quote: " This seems really outdated to me, and I've wondered if there's something else I should be using... is there a DarkGDK 2.0 (or something similar)?
"

there's plenty of other c++ engines out there, DarkGDK is buggy, old, outdated etx.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 01:25 Edited at: 9th Nov 2012 01:25
...and I just ordered GDK.NET...

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 01:44
Quote: "...and I just ordered GDK.NET..."

good for you, LOL There are other .net engines much better than DarkGDK

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 01:47
Well I suppose I wanted to keep the porting easy for my transition from DBP to the typical C++/C#/.NET environments...

Can you list a few?

I am aiming to purchase VS2012 Pro... hence me getting GDK.NET

Riktovitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "there's plenty of other c++ engines out there, DarkGDK is buggy, old, outdated etx."

Is there one in particular that you could recommend? Is Irrlicht good?

if(awesome) return true;
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 02:02
Quote: "Can you list a few?"

have a look here

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 16:20
Ogre3D is powerful but very complex, I use Irrlicht a lot these days and is easier to learn. Plus both of them work on both Linux and Windows.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 16:51
Ogre3D isn't as complex as it's made out to be, but it does have a higher learning curve than Irrlicht. Ogre3D is *very* object oriented, the exact opposite of GDK.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 13:12
Yes the products are outdated and I don't see them getting a facelift any time soon - Dark GDK 2.0 is supposed to be the updated and less buggy version, but we've not heard anything for months from Mistrel, so I don't know if it's still being developed.

But that doesn't stop Dark GDK 1.0 being useful, it's still powerful and still functional. If you prefer it to other engines out there, I don't see any reason to not use it, despite it being out of date. I am using DGDK.NET and I know some folks still use it and likewise for DGDK (isn't Fallout using it for Carnage?).

Regardless, there's decent alternatives out there. Ogre and Irrlicht being the popular 2. XNA is another choice. I'd say they're more complicated than Dark GDK, but aren't too difficult to get to grips with, Irrlicht probably being the quickest to learn.

I think Dark GDK has an advantage because if you know Dark Basic Pro, there's a lot you already know - it's just taking the same commands & features and using them inside of a different language or in the case of .NET, learning how to use OOP versions of them.

Riktovitch
Years of Service
User Offline
I've started using Irrlicht and it's really easy to understand. Using IrrKlang I can even implement surround sound as well. And I'm using Multisync for the networking. I've already converted most of my projects code into Irrlicht.

if(awesome) return true;
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2012 16:39 Edited at: 17th Nov 2012 16:41
I must say that I've tried MPL3D's DGDK 1.0 project with a Windows 8 Ultrabook, and it runs flawlessly, faster than my desktop, without any issue detected.
It was a very nice surprise

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2012 22:58
If you're developing in C# then I would recommend XNA. Very object-orientated, which is good for me anyway.

The learning curve isn't that bad if you've got C/Java experience in OOP.

I enjoy food quite a lot.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 19:25:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 19:25:38