Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK .NET / Just joined the band wagon! Come by and say hi!

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 18:38
Hi fellow GDK.NET developers!

I have today received my GDK.NET download after placing my order yesterday!

I suppose you could say I will be looking for a lot of help in the coming weeks...

Mainly... where do I start?

I am on Windows 8 and using Visual Studio 2012 Express [for now, I plan to buy VS 2012 Pro]

Please post in and say hi if you are a GDK.NET developer

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 23:11
Well, hello. I think there's probably only a handful. This section is fairly quiet, which is a shame because Dark GDK.NET is great.

As for where to start, I would say try getting your head around C# to begin with, though with Dark GDK.NET, it should be a good stepping stone as you'll already be familiar with most of the commands, though they are used very differently to how they're used in Dark GDK and Dark Basic Pro, because in Dark GDK.NET you are using OOP, whilst Dark GDK and Dark Basic Pro are Procedural, though OOP in C++ with DGDK is optional.

I am working on tutorials to entice people over to the .NET side. I finished a starter tut before I had to work this afternoon. I may work on more over the weekend, as there's still plenty of ground to cover. It's pretty much aimed at newbies & people familiar with DBP but are unfamiliar with how C# works...I guess I could do VB versions as well as it's fairly easy to convert code from C# to VB...in fact there's tools out there that do it with a decent amount of accuracy.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 02:50
Hiya! yeah it is a shame it is quiet over here...

Post up the link here if that is ok

I suppose it is going to be a slow incline for me this time round compared to DBP...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 09:33 Edited at: 10th Nov 2012 09:33
Not yet finished the tutorials, but I will make a thread for them once they're ready. The ultimate goal will be to make a boat racing game in Dark GDK - it's simple, effective and doesn't require loads of work media wise. I guess I could send you the first one, it's not ready to be put online, but it may help you get started, then at least if you get stuck you can ask me questions on Skype.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 14:51

aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2012 02:43
I'm using the DarkGDK.NET with VB.NET for my TOWER CAB project ( www.towercab.com ) and previously created Airline Sharks with it. But I do NOT use OOP! I can't stand that methodology. You do not have to use OOP to write in VB.NET (or any other language) with Visual Studio. I avoid OOP like the plague.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2012 03:07
Hi Aero¡

Thabks for popping by...

That is interesting to know... Now that you mention it... I remember that project being in .Net

Can you mention some extensibility that you may have benefitted from during creating your projects¿ just experience... Not looking for code at present... Just get an idea of the scale of things and a feel for the toolset...

I am going to look at some of the sample code in the coming days and hopefully get a simple app working...

By the way... Can you create DX independent EXEs when not invoking any 3D functions? I would be very grateful for an answer to that one

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 12:41
Hi peeps,

Welcome aboard. I do try to drop by as much as I can, but work prevails unfortunately and it does get rather quiet around here. I'll be checking over the threads to see if there's anything I can do to help out or solve problems.

Paul.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 14:09
APEXnow - Thank you, I plan to delve into .NET come January or February once I get the competitions and challenges out of the way...

I appreciate your time here, and hope to see more of you around

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:11:12
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:11:12