Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Free version licence?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 17:48 Edited at: 11th Nov 2012 19:19
Hello,

I work in a primary school and would like to get some of the older kiddies into programming. Can I legally allow them to use Dark Basic Pro Free version?

If not, can anyone recommend a similar language which I could use for nowt?

Thanks for any advice,

James
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 18:16
As far as I know and understand, DBP free is free to use, and has ad banners... I cannot say much regarding the created exe's however...

Perhaps post this question to the TGC team instead of here?

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=contact

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 20:47 Edited at: 11th Nov 2012 20:48
DBPro free is free to use for individuals only:
Quote: "Note: This is offer is for single home users only. Business and educational establishments cannot use the free version."

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You can always stick it on the school's tab.

Other languages similar to DarkBasic? DarkBasic is obviously heavily influenced by QBasic. So, here are two:

FreeBASIC - Modern hybrid of Qbasic and C -style syntax. Looks pretty straightforward and is GPL (free). There's a wikipedia page here. I've been wanting to try this one out for a while now since it's cross-platform too.

QB64 - Modern Qbasic port. Pretty much Qbasic with extras. I don't know if it actually compiles or just interprets.

Hope that's of some use. If I think of something else I'll post it. Check out wikipedia list of BASIC languages (don't remember where I found it) as each article normally has a code example.

RP Functions Library v1.0

My signature has not been erased by a mod.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 17:01:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 17:01:42