Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Ads don't load into proper location

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2012 06:09
It isn't easy to ensure that the user sits around and waits for an advert to load up. And the problem i'm having with this is that when an ad is loaded, it doesn't load into the location last given to them by "SetAdvertPosition"... seems they like the origin much more.

Right now, I'm having an unusual problem in that I haven't displayed an ad yet, but upon closing my game, IE pops up and takes me to one of the ad sites, as though I had clicked on the ad as WELL as my quit button.

How does everyone else here use ads effectively to circumvent these issues?

~Plystire

A rose is only a rose until it is held and cherished -- then it becomes a treasure.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2012 10:38
I have not found either of the problems you mention. Although in all my projects, the Initial position of the advert is top left and then I move itif needed after the title screen.

I create an advert like this...

And move the advert like this...

(I also change the size of the ad in these snippets, the initial size/position allows for a X close button top right of the screen, and then the ad changes to 100% width when moved to the bottom of the screen)

What platform are you experiencing these problems on? Is it Windows, Android, both or other? And also what version of AppGameKit (and the player if you are using it) are you using? I remember having issues with the adverts at first because I was using the incorrect version of the player on my android device. (Although this obviously only affected android, It ran as expected on Windows)

I'm not sure about your second problem, perhaps if we could see some code maybe we could help more.

Hope that helps

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2012 16:21
Plystire, are you working in Tier 1 or Tier 2 and what version of AppGameKit are you using?

In both T1 and T2, I had no problem getting the ad to appear and respond where I wanted in v1076.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 01:47
@Prof:

That's pretty much how I'm creating them, too. Though, I notice that if an ad is loading (doesn't yet exist), it doesn't receive new locations... so if I try to position the ad (or delete it) while it is still loading, it won't have any effect.

@Ancient Lady:

I am using the latest beta for the ultrabook with Tier 1. I have seen some very strange things relating to ads in this version.

For example:

In my gameover screen, I have an ad displayed about 20 units above a Replay button (20 unit buffer). Attempting to touch/click the replay button crashes the game and then I am spammed with tons of new browser windows leading me to the ad link.

~Plystire

A rose is only a rose until it is held and cherished -- then it becomes a treasure.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 11:54
I seem to remember that ads are placed in device resolution units rather than your current virtual resolution. I would place ads using the relative positioning, where you just specify "left / right / central" vertically and horizontally.

Hope that helps in some way!

Make sure any crash bugs are reported too

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
This sounds similar to the bugs with android when the ads were first released. They were varying problems including orientation and screen offset. Simple one screen games would seem fine, but if you moved the camera you would have issues. Perhaps this is a similar issue?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2012 02:55
@baxslash:

I would really like to position the ads where I had placed them before.
Honestly, they were working just fine before updating to the BETA releases. Maybe I should have brought this up in the beta thread.

@DVader:

I dunno... maybe. All I can say is that I'm not using any of the AppGameKit camera/viewport commands.

~Plystire

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Orientation was an issue as well, not just the camera commands. The ad would stay in it's original orientation, or worse be positioned right but the collision was still in portrait for instance. Still I was only suggesting it could be an early bug in a similar vein. It does sound like a beta bug as you say.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2012 01:46
Well, I certainly hope it's not an orientation issue as the game should be locked in landscape orientation.

If I can't figure out what's causing this, I may have to scrap the ads for a while until this issue can be resolved.

~Plystire

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 15:30:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 15:30:21