Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / WIP - Large scifi door (fpsc)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2012 15:32 Edited at: 24th Nov 2012 15:33
Hey guys, just wanted to post something that I've been working on the last couple days. I've been trying to make a really cool looking scifi door, kind of like those big bay doors in doom 3:

I have the texture set so I can change the paint color if I want to. Right now I am making it for a specific game setting of mine, where you are in these deep underground mining tunnels, and you open these huge doors to get to other areas. The door itself is about 2 segments tall and almost four segments wide. The whole model is around 400 tris:

I still have to texture the frame, and make the rock surrounding it to blend it into other segments yet, but that is something I will work on the next days. Can't wait to animate it and get it into fps creator though!

I will post pics of progress when it is made.

Comments? Crits?

[/href]

BACK FPSC:R! http://kck.st/Tmi93T

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2012 15:40 Edited at: 24th Nov 2012 15:40
Heres a couple other things that I've been working on that I thought that I'd show, just some random prop objects that I made really quickly:

[/href]

Attachments

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 24th Nov 2012 20:02
dude, that is amazing work! and great texturing!

Can you make these DBPro ready too?

aaaa I just spent all my TGC Store credits... if there were on there I would have bought them...

Will you distribute these?

I could use these for intros or something or practice even for effects and stuff...

Continue

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2012 22:51
@Hamburger

Really nice work on the textures! Nice simple models with great texture work is obviously your strong point. Keep doing what you are doing.

I look forward to seeing the door once it is nearer completion (animated) Also, i like the idea of it being surrounded by rocks, almost like it is embedded in a cliff face.

Unfamillia

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2012 23:02
Agreed. The door is really good and would look great embedded in a cliff face. Will you be doing different animations for it? In other words, will it split open at center- half up, half down; will it just open up? Or will the four sections each animate open/closed?

Either way, looks great.

Quote: "Can you make these DBPro ready too?"

It's not hard getting into DBP. Just run it in FPSC and use the DBO. Pretty simple.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 24th Nov 2012 23:21
I get a lot of texture issues with .dbo...

Eitherway... Would be good to see this

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2012 23:49 Edited at: 25th Nov 2012 00:00
Thanks for the nice comments guys!

I will definitely distribute these, I think the community really needs some good quality scifi media, but I do not think I would make them free, simply becuase of how much work I put into making the models, making the heightmaps (which is an art in itself), and texturing them. Not saying they would be a huge price or anything though, I would make it reasonable.

As for program readyness, I do not own Darkbasic, so I would not know the necessary files required, but if I was to distribute them I would probably make an fpsc-ready version, and a version containing just raw object and texture files, with models coming in various formats, etc (like I do with my Turbosquid products), that way I do not have to worry about missing anything. It would require a little work on the consumer end to put it in and make it engine-ready, but I believe that it would save a lot of hassle and forgotten items and such...

@blackfox: I think the only way I could do a different animation for it is if I could somehow make it open in a broken fashion, like if you had a dilapidated setting and the door was not working properly. Other than that I think it will just be the four panels opening up, down, left, and right.

The frame I will start work on tommarow, today I was taking a small break

I also had the idea of making a new update of the stock media in the same style, but that would definitely have to wait until there are no other tasks on my list (which would be a while...)

[/href]

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2012 00:02
Quote: "As for program readyness, I do not own Darkbasic, so I would not know the necessary files required, but if I was to distribute them I would probably make an fpsc-ready version, and a version containing just raw object and texture files, with models coming in various formats, etc (like I do with my Turbosquid products), that way I do not have to worry about missing anything."

That works. It's not hard to make compatible for the engine of choice.

Quote: "I think the only way I could do a different animation for it is if I could somehow make it open in a broken fashion, like if you had a dilapidated setting and the door was not working properly. Other than that I think it will just be the four panels opening up, down, left, and right.
"

Sounds good. Look forward to seeing the final outcome. Gives me an excuse to spend more money on TurboSquid.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2012 19:45 Edited at: 25th Nov 2012 19:46
Just a quick update, I just finished the heightmap for the frame, will move on to textureing later on today. I also have all othe necessary maps baked as well, so after the texturing is done all I have to do is animate the door and get the sounds for it ready, which will be a cinch to do.

[/href]

Attachments

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2012 21:27 Edited at: 25th Nov 2012 21:55
Alright, just finished texturing this baby, now comes the animation!

EDIT: animation is now done, told you it'd be easy

[/href]

Attachments

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2012 23:34
very nice job mate

cheers henry

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 13:54
Hamburger, are the height maps compatible with FPSC? Or would you have to convert them to normal maps to be recognised by certain shaders?

Great work though, looks really nice.

Unfamillia

bobochobo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 18:57
Your texturing looks good on the door, but I'm not such a fan of the frame. I don't see how you would get such large scratches at the top left and right of the frame.

All browsers should come with compulsory spell checks.

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 20:31 Edited at: 26th Nov 2012 20:31
Hamburger these scifi doors are so cool. cant wait until you put them up for buy. i will most likely buy them. could we see a video of the doors animation how they open and close.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 21:46 Edited at: 26th Nov 2012 22:01
@unfamilia: I have the normal maps for it as well, I convert the height map to a normal map and other maps like cavity maps (primarily for texturing purposes)

@bobochobo: I see what you mean, and now that I look at it, I do think that the scratches are a tad overdone. When I was making it I imagined that, because it is supposed to be in an underground setting, that the door would recieve tons of wear and tear from falling rocks and such. I think your right, I'll tweak it a bit.

@Michael X: Sure! I can see if I can put together a video sometime today (if I have time). Although I was thinking of putting off a video until the very end, of which I have some "special" plans for making it...

EDIT: oh and one more thing, work this week might just be a tad slower than usual, because I have school to worry about, which takes priority before things like this, so I may not have as much free time to work on the door as I usually do. I will still keep you guys updated! Most of the hard stuff like modeling and texturing is already out of the way so I think the last things like making a sound and putting it in fpsc will probably go fairly quick.

[/href]

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2012 02:18
Loving the texture work, reminds me of Red Faction.

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2012 22:54
finally got a chance to work on this today, got some sounds done, almost to the porting stage.

[/href]

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2012 03:01
Looks amazing! Thought about making a sci-fi pack for FPSC? They'd be mad to not sell these.

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2012 12:52
Hey thanks Fuzz! I have not thought about making a model pack but it sounds like a good idea... good scifi media is real hard to come by these days.

Also, to those who have been watchingthis thread, I am still working on this. Some things have gotten in the way of my work and are making this hard to complete. Lately this project has been a standstill, but hopefully this weekend that'll change!

[/href]

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2012 13:10
Hamburger, shoot me an email.

Unfamillia@gmail.com

If you want to of course.......

Unfamillia

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 02:05
That is one impressive looking door! Bravo! I think Fuzz is right; making a sci fi pack would definitely be in your best interest. With that quality you can shoot for an official pack.

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2012 07:06
If you do make an FPSC pack, you have my money

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 02:30 Edited at: 29th Jan 2013 02:30
Hi guys

Just wanted to post and confirm that this project is NOT dead. I just have had a hard time the last couple months trying to find time to work on this...

Anyhow I got a couple pics of things that I picked back up where I left off on, a mining light post... still wip

[/href]

Attachments

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 02:32 Edited at: 29th Jan 2013 02:34
...and a mining utility vehicle that is all unwrapped and ready, just need to separate smoothing groups still... fun...

I was a bit inspired by the armageddon mech and will probably do ones with different crane attachnemts for drills and such, not really digging the interior though...

Cant wait to texture it.

Also I still have to finish the door close sounds yet for the door that I posted a month or so ago, as well as make some more entities and the tunnel wall textures for it. I will make a video showcasing everything in action when done.

Bye!

[/href]

Attachments

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 13:44
This looks realy good, I like the style on the mining vehicle
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2013 17:57 Edited at: 24th Feb 2013 18:00
Heres a little something I've been working on for the last couple days.

Sadly the mining vehicle was pushed to the back of my list for things to do, however I have plans for a better version for some vehicles anyway.

I also found a new way to make render shots so they show the normal maps better instead of a flat diffuse texture.

This was sort of a practice model to try and replicate some more intricate details in the heightmap (which came out really good) like the little inner pipes and things. I am trying to really push the detail envelope on these now. It takes longer but it pays off in the long run.

Texture to come soon, need to take a break now.

[/href]

Attachments

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2013 20:02
Nice work on the normal map, reminds me a little of a sci-fi toaster though xD

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2013 21:10 Edited at: 24th Feb 2013 21:17
Hehe its supposed to be a generator lol...

EDIT: just realized I said that in the image... how dumb I am...

[/href]

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2013 03:03
Is the normal map on this baked or was it done using gradients in your image editor?

Available for freelance work, hard surface 3d artist and current generation game artist. Contact me through email.
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2013 03:13
I did it using gradients. If anyone is curious I could upload a watermarked version of it to see.

[/href]

bobochobo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2013 15:48
Please do. What's the advantage of using gradients over baking? I always bake.

All browsers should come with compulsory spell checks.

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2013 21:32 Edited at: 26th Feb 2013 21:33
Quote: "What's the advantage of using gradients over baking? I always bake.
"

There are upsides and downsides.

You can get great normal maps that VERY closely mimic 3d geometry, without using programs like 3ds max for highpoly modeling. Its also easier, more or less, but some shapes would be easier to recreate in 3d than using gradients.

However, it isnt practical for characters or models intended to be more organic, which is where zbrush and like expensive programs win.
In some cases baked models can look just a tad smoother, but overlaying bent normal maps over the normals generated from the heightmap alone tends to fix that problem.

But this method is free and, when pulled off right, can look as good as a 3d baked model. It is just only practical for some things over others, really.

Here is the map that I promised:

[/href]

Attachments

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2013 02:33
In smaller details, the gradients work very well, however on the longer/bigger details it became quite obvious it wasn't actual geometry. Always remember that the goal of a normal map is not to make a bump on the model, but to make the model appear to be more detailed/higher polygon. When you begin to try and create a detail rather than try to replicate the polygons that contained the detail, it often loses the realism/style associated with the model or rest of the normal map. It was very difficult to try and phrase that, but I hope you got the meaning. Most of the details here are very well replicated, but there are some which are obviously fake and I think you should perform a geometry bake on (and they are simple shapes anyways, so it shouldn't take you very long). Overall, this is a well executed example of the power of hand painted rather than baked normal maps.

Available for freelance work, hard surface 3d artist and current generation game artist. Contact me through email.
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2013 15:55
@ design runner: I wish I could do some geometry bakes, but at the moment I do not have access to programs that are good for high poly surface modelling. Thanks for your critique though. Actually, the larger surfaces were some of the harder parts for me to do because of their size.

[/href]

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2013 21:46
hey hamburger what's going on with the scifi doors? I been following this this thread in hope that those scifi doors would be ready to buy. they are a must have on my list.

Welcome to SciFi Summer
AlexP
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello hamburger.

Can you please send me email to il.alex.p [<-inside->] gma..

I would like to use one of your pic, and had no success contacting you.

Thank.
Alex.
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2013 23:42 Edited at: 4th Mar 2013 23:47
Im am really trying my best to get them done michael x. It is just rather hard for me to keep up right now, due to my completely inflexible schedule.

My life will only allow me to work for just a sliver of time each week, due to school and sports, as well as other factors. If I am lucky (and I mean lucky) I get one day on a weekend where I am free to do what I want. I also have some important testing this week as well.

However, here is an idea of where everything is coming along:

The doors are 95percent done, and the segments that will accompany them are 80 percent done (I.e. cave tunnels). These were more or less frozen for a period of time, I am going to make a few slight tweaks. I will also release all of the small items that I have shown so far as well. There are also numerous I have not shown you yet that are in various stages of being complete. Not to meantion product presentation - I need to make sure everything works and I also need to create a sort of visual demo to show off the pack yet. I was also planning on adding in some other scenery pieces as well (tunnel supports, lights, etc.). Some of which are already in the works.

I really wish I could have finished them for you all a while ago but in order to be successfull in my life I need to prioritize my work sometimes. I will confess that I do feel kinda bad that I only update this thread with not much to show for, because I know how bad you guys want to have this pack, and I'll try to make an effort to work anywhere I can on this, but please be advised that this may not always be possible.

However, THIS PROJECT IS NOT CANCELED AND NEVER WILL BE!

Rather, it is crawling along at a snails pace

I started with the doors and then the project kind of evolved spawned a whole bunch of ideas of mine, and sure enough it kind of evolved into a whole model pack. And it kind of makes sense, I think just having a pack of only a set of doors without any accompanying media wouldnt really attract as much people as a pack where you can construct your own setting, complete with rocks, mining equipent, whatever.

My goal is to provide you all with a great end product that feels official like, say, one of Dexsoft's packs, and looks great. If I rushed and worked too fast I don't know if accomplishing that would be possible

Now that I meantion that I kinda think the title of this thread is a little misleading... May I ask a mod to change the title to "Hamburger's WIP Scifi Model Pack for FPS Creator"? That would be great and would give a better idea of what I am working on, thank you.

I hope you all understand my reason for the slow progress on this.

[/href]

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 04:20
I understand man no rush. I was just letting you know I'm still interested in them. glad to know everything is a work in progress.

Welcome to SciFi Summer
AlexP
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello hamburger.

Is there any way in the universe i can contact you?
My email is il.alex.p -> inside gmail.com

(regarding to usage of one of your pics)

Thank.
Alex.
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2013 16:24
Yes: here is my e-mail:

Twahlrocket@gmail.com

[/href]

silkroadgame
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice works,especially like those textures in your early posts.

Silk Road Game:http://www.game-silkroad.com/
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 22:06
Thank you silkroadgame!

[/href]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-19 06:46:44
Your offset time is: 2024-03-19 06:46:44