Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Some weapon models I made

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 09:59
Couple of days ago I decided I would make some futuristic weapon models. So here they are. Might even make them a model pack. What do you think?

windows 7 ultimate 64bit, AMD FX 4170 Quad core 4.2ghz, ASUS Radeon HD7770 1GB overclocked, 8gb 1866mhz ram, western digital caviar black 1T mech drive
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 12:43
Conceptually, these are awesome. Interesting forms, good fps pov details, and they all actually make sense and look like they could shoot, which many futuristic gun concepts fail at However as models there could be a lot of improvement before I would say they are ready to be in a model pack. You look like you need to look into what makes good topology when modelling, as there are many smoothing errors not only because you have no smoothing groups (fix that too ) but also because of the poor topology. I will make a paint-over of these for you in about 8 hours, so you can see what improvements I would make to salvage these models. I assume you are using 3ds max? You are at an awesome start, and it will be easier than you think to make these even better.

Your signature has been erased by a mod, please reduce it to no larger than 600 x 120.
skeeter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 13:36
Sounds good. I use blender for modeling and unwrapping. 3ds max to animate. Thanks for the constructive criticism.

windows 7 ultimate 64bit, AMD FX 4170 Quad core 4.2ghz, ASUS Radeon HD7770 1GB overclocked, 8gb 1866mhz ram, western digital caviar black 1T mech drive
bobochobo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 18:54
Quote: "I use blender for modeling and unwrapping. 3ds max to animate."

May I ask why? You've missed the trigger out of the last weapon there, unless there's a more hi-tech way of firing it.

You could make use of floating geometry to put a couple of bolts or fire-mode selectors on the side of each of the rifle to make it more interesting without spending too many polys.

As DR said, you've got a few triangles just below the hammer of the px4, which looks quite messy. You should try to clean this up and try to ensure all of your polys are quads. The same occurs just to the left of the trigger guard, but I'm sure DR will cover that in his paint over.

Last thing, I it were me I would add 2 more edge loops on the stock of the cx4 to make it smoother, as if you're looking down the sights it might look quite angular.

All browsers should come with compulsory spell checks.

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 23:21

This is the best I could do without your wireframes. The idea is to always be using loops to make quads, instead of freely placing verts. This keeps the model clean and prevents smoothing errors, and makes optimizing much easier. The only other thing that needs to be fixed is the smoothing groups, do you know how to do that? I can find a good link for you if you would like.

Your signature has been erased by a mod, please reduce it to no larger than 600 x 120.
skeeter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2012 06:41
@bobochobo
thanks, the models aren't quite finished yet. Just a little more detail and I will definately be fixing the weird looking bit on the back of the px4 slide. The masada is higher poly than I wanted it to be so I got rid of the detail to save on performance. The higher poly one I will be using in unity. I will also fix up that stock on the cx4

@Design Runner
I used edge loops instead of freely placing verts. I'm just not that great at modeling. Also could you send me those links, I'm not sure that I know what i'm doing with smooth groups

skeeter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2012 06:42 Edited at: 27th Nov 2012 06:43
I smoothed the cx4 and px4 and they look alot better. Also I left the trigger out of the Masada on accident. Fixed now

skeeter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2012 07:12
Here's the wireframe for the pistol:

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2012 12:48
http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blender/sword-mesh-smoothing.php

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?61087-Smoothing-groups-mini-tut

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?61087-Smoothing-groups-mini-tut

Looking at the wireframe, you have a pretty good idea of how to keep using edge loops, The next step would be to keep the loops as straight as possible, and when you want to add a new detail you create a new edge loops for it instead of moving and existing one. Soak up the links, you will learn fast

skeeter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2012 23:07
Cheers, appreciate it!

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2012 23:42 Edited at: 27th Nov 2012 23:42
I'm happy to help. I quickly added something to your wireframe to allow you to see what I mean by keeping edge loops straight and adding new ones for new details. I straightened one loop and added another.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
skeeter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2012 03:33
just finished the UV map and I accidently pressed the wrong button. Messed the whole thing up and I couldn't undo it. It is literally the most frustrating thing that has ever happened to me in blender

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2012 03:44
I found UV mapping in blender to be among the most frustrating experiences I have ever had in using 3d software. Along with anything material related in blender. I just simply don't use it for that anymore. I can't stand it.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2012 07:22
Quote: "just finished the UV map and I accidently pressed the wrong button. Messed the whole thing up and I couldn't undo it. It is literally the most frustrating thing that has ever happened to me in blender "

This is why you have multiple saves

Whose eyes are those eyes?
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2012 13:36
what's happened? What button did you press? There will be some way to fix what you have.

I use Blender quite a lot and have pressed random buttons on many occasions and had to figure out how to fix it.

If i can help, i will.

skeeter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 08:08
I don't know what I pressed but some of the vertices went haywire and I pressed close. I will probably just either try again or not uv map it because I'm horrible at it

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2012 01:00
Quote: "I don't know what I pressed but some of the vertices went haywire and I pressed close"

So, you didn't have it saved at all?

But, don't forget, with software like Blender, Ctrl+Z is your friend!

I press the wrong key every now and again as i am mainly looking at the screen rather than my keyboard, but, Ctrl+Z always sorts that out for me. Plus, like Quik Said, always be saving and if you are working on something for a while, save it as a different version (just add 001, 002, 003 etc)

Sorry i can't give more advice, but, i don't know exactly what you have pressed.

My parting comment would be: DON'T give up on UV mapping! It is essential for creating a decent looking model! It is more time consuming than hard. Just be patient and take your time. You will surprise yourself.

Unfamillia

skeeter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2012 01:54
I probably pressed ctrl+z about 20 times, Nothing happened. So I closed it down and started again

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:32:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:32:03