Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Happy Chick - Platform Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 14:22 Edited at: 6th Oct 2013 11:35
What with the Intel Competition over, at least from a deadline perspective. I thought now would be a good time to share our entry. We have been using AppGameKit Tier 1 for around a year now and have always wanted to build a Platform Game. Initially this was way too advanced for us, but over the year we have learnt so much, what with all the excellent support from many forum users and thought we may as well give it a try!

Our original intentions were to build this app for Android and iOS, however, as this contest came around at pretty much the same time we started, we thought it would make sense to build for AppUp also.

Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funichproductions.happychickadventureslite

Apple Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/happy-chick-platform-game/id709570884?ls=1&mt=8

Happy Chick - Platform Game

Embark on an adventure with Happy Chick on this exciting new platform game. This is a retro, run and jump platform game, similar to the likes of the classics Mario and Sonic. Happy Chick Adventures features exciting and jam packed levels to keep you entertained for hours. We are proud of the strategic level design which will keep you challenged again and again. This game will not be completed first time around.

Enjoy the full experience of moving platforms, falling platforms, springs, cannons and many hidden extras. Each level is loaded with 3 golden eggs and alternative routes through each level - Will you find them all?

Features:

- An addictive and challenging retro platform game
- A full world of exciting levels with a few twists
- Two control schemes
- Regular Free updates

Coming Soon:

- Our first update will include a new world with different terrain, monsters and Happy Chick outfit.
- Achievements

Feel free to provide any comments/feedback!

TitleScreen

Promo:

And here are a couple images from World 2 and World 3....

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 16:17
ahahahahaha, that is cute!

Well Done!

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 18:11 Edited at: 26th Nov 2012 18:12
Reminds me if the dizzy games with the limited animations

Looks good but maybe a bit to little detail to the art?

Then do i mean that they look abit to clean?

Now do you have a engine to build on for the next game

Love the animation when he gets hurt

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 18:54
Nice!!

Long life to Steve!
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2012 12:30
Thank's all... We appreciate the comments!

@Cliff, yeah, building the engine was the most difficult part. It seems to work really well though, we can most definately reuse it for other projects! The only problem we have at the minute is that the levels are based off text files which ideally I'd like to protect somehow... This isn't a problem for Android/iOS but is definately an issue for AppUp...

On that note, I have just received confirmation that this has now been Published on the AppUp Store! Exciting stuff...
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2012 18:29
Quote: "@Cliff, yeah, building the engine was the most difficult part. It seems to work really well though, we can most definately reuse it for other projects! The only problem we have at the minute is that the levels are based off text files which ideally I'd like to protect somehow... This isn't a problem for Android/iOS but is definately an issue for AppUp...

On that note, I have just received confirmation that this has now been Published on the AppUp Store! Exciting stuff... "

The building of the engine is extremely fun as you see wath the new changes do to your game every day.
It feels a bit empty now when my own is almost finished.
Congrats on being up on the appup store
Do you have a link ?
I want to test it as i love platformers

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2012 11:01
I don't have a link just yet. It says 'Published', but I think it sill takes a couple days to appear. Once I have it I'll be sure to post it. I'll also upload an MSI soon (once I have sorted out the level txt issue), then you can try it out for free...
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2012 20:46 Edited at: 28th Nov 2012 20:48
Quote: "I don't have a link just yet. It says 'Published', but I think it sill takes a couple days to appear."

Usually takes about 4 days to appear on your ultrabook.
After that does it take about 3-4 days to appear on appup.com where anyone can see your app.
It whas on the later i got my link.
Be sure to check with your ultrabook as codeprojects wanted a screen shoot of the app on appup as validation.
I used print screen and pasted it in to paint and sent it in.

I hope you understand that my remark about dizzy games are nothing bad as some people hinks that about the dizzy games?

I have the rare collection of all 6 games on my old amiga cd32
Thats why i have it in memory and i like these games.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 00:31 Edited at: 29th Nov 2012 00:35
No worries Cliff, I totally understand! To be honest, we originally had an Egg as a placeholder for our character when we were first testing our engine, that was definitely like Dizzy !!

I've attached the game in the first post for anyone who wants to give it a try. Its the first 5 levels and I would love to hear your comments/suggestions...

Many thanks!!
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2013 22:55
How is it going with the game
Any new releases?

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2013 01:11
Hello Cliff! I haven't actually touched AppGameKit since the AppInnovation Contest, there is so much more we intend to do with Happy Chick, but what with Christmas and the fact we have recently moved in to our new home, I haven't really had much time to make any changes

All will be back on track very shortly. The next steps are to introduce Worlds 2 and 3, and then roll this out on Android. Really looking forward to getting back into things!! Thanks for the interest!
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks a nice AppGameKit project. A few platform games coming out of late. Good luck with releasing on the android!

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2013 19:54
I didn't realise moving in to a new home would take sooooo much of my time up... Anyhoo, I am now finally settled in and am reviving 'Happy Chick'... My first task is to redesign the Titlescreen/Menu page, as I wasn't too keen on the original. Will upload a video shortly...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2013 23:31
Looking nice! You should get some sounds in, that really makes a game alive.

If you like old school sounds then check out: http://www.superflashbros.net/as3sfxr/

Demo 2 is out! Click the image for more.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2013 00:03
Ok, so... I have redesigned the TitleScreen/Menu. The original is still in the OP if you want to compare, I'd be interested to know which you prefer and whether you have any suggestions/comments. All in all, I think the new version is a massive improvement...

New TitleScreen:

@ Digital Awakening. Thanks, we do actually have some sounds, just not on the YouTube Vids. I'll check that link out all the same...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 19th Feb 2013 00:08
WOW, I would very much love to see the PSEUDO code to how you did that menu, though I would be applying it to 3D myself

Talairina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2013 02:51
Likewise. I love the slide transition. Look's great. Any tip's on achieving such an effect myself?

That menu is fantastic. Great work.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2013 08:55
It looks very nice. It is touches like that that really makes the game look polished.

It would be very easy to achieve that effect using SetViewOffset( x, y ).

Demo 2 is out! Click the image for more.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2013 11:56
Thanks all, I appreciate the comments...

Digital Awakening has it exactly right... I use SetViewOffset to navigate between the different screens. If I were to zoom right out, you would see the entire menu and all screens. All I do is simply move the View over each page based on which button is pressed etc...

This is actually a lot easier to manage than my original menu, as everything is loaded once. Previously I had to create/delete sprites on the fly.
Talairina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2013 22:51
That's a great way of doing that. I never thought of using SetViewOffset() in such a way. It's inspired an idea in me to try out. =)
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2013 15:16
Yup! And its very simple too...

So... I have a small but significant update, I think we are now ready to release the app on the Android Market!! I've recently replaced my laptop so need to start from scratch with the old Cygwin/Eclipse process, but that was pretty straight forward the first time round so I'm hoping all will be well...
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 17:00
Just when I thought we were nearly finished, we decided to add a Boss... I think in hindsight it was silly of us to think we didn't need a boss as it doesn't really give you a purpose... At least now the game has an 'ending' or at least something to finish the game off...

Anyway, a very brief video of where we are going with the Boss idea. As always appreciate any comments/suggestions...

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 17:11
Cool!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 18:29
Bosses are always a welcome addition to any game

Demo 3 is out now!
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 19:43 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2013 12:09
Calling all Android users!!... I was wondering if you would be so kind as to download the attached .apk and let me know how it performs on your device. I have a Samsung S2 which runs it consistently at 60'ish FPS. I have a feeling this is unlikely to be the case for all devices and would like to test this on several more...

Minus a few 'depth' issues, assuming this runs well on most devices, we are pretty much ready to go.

Many thanks in advance...

EDIT: .apk removed. Hoping to upload a new beta version soon.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 20:21
It stayed about 58-60 fps during splash screen.

Then it dropped to 33-35 fps at the 'home' page ("Happy Chick Adventures" with two buttons).

35-38 on Settings and Info pages.

Then it stayed about 44-47 during game play.

Tested on a Toshiba Thrive 7", Android 4.0.4.

There should be a way to exit the game or to pause it, at least.

But it is a fun little platformer.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 20:26
Excellent! Thank you very much AL...

There is a Pause Button at the lop right hand corner As for exiting, you can use your back button (but only from the title screen).

Thanks again, that's promising results (I think?!?)...
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 20:37
I was getting very frustrated trying to get my game to run a consistent speed (initially at 60fps).

I tried everything to have physics and such adjust based on actual time (all of the things posted) and could not get everything they way I wanted.

I needed all platforms to move at the same speed.

So, I gave up and went to 30fps and gave up trying to get the really crazy affect playing with restitution that I get at 60fps.

My hubby pointed out that 30fps is as good as anyone actually needs to see in a game.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 21:02 Edited at: 19th Mar 2013 21:04
Funnell7:
I have the same phone as you so I would get the same result. But I'll give the game a go later. I think the Galaxy S2 is locked to max 60 FPS.

AL:
I can see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS in my game. 30 gives me a less smooth feel and I don't like it at all. But I can't see the difference between 60 and 1000 FPS. So I think 60 FPS is a good target.

Demo 3 is out now!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 22:22
I would much prefer to go 60fps, but not all devices will do that.

My Toshiba won't do better than 45fps (and not reliably that).

My particular WIP has the score based on the time relative to a target time. So all devices need to be able to cross the full field of play in the same amount of time (otherwise the slow devices will never allow a player to get three stars). I've tried making adjustments based on the FPS or frame time being different from the target. But the Toshiba won't reliably report the value when needed.

Fortunately 30fps seems to be acceptable for the sprites that actually move about.

I don't know many devices that could go to 1000fps! They must be impressive (and battery hungry?).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 22:47
My Windows laptop does up to 1300+ FPS running RTA

I have everything fully timer based, however I have some inaccuracies running as low as 30 FPS. Some objects move too far in one frame for my current collision code for example. Sounds like you could have a problem with not all variables handling time and coordinates are floats. If you haven't you should double check.

Sorry Funnell7 for going off topic

Demo 3 is out now!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 23:06 Edited at: 19th Mar 2013 23:07
I tested on three Android devices.

LG Optimus S (320x480 resolution on Android 2.3.3; certainly one of the lowest end Androids still in circulation).

- Average 32-34 FPS on the menu screens and upon starting a game.

- During gameplay, the framerate got as low as 12-14 FPS but averaged around 20.

- The jumping height seemed inconsistent as I played, perhaps depending on the framerate to get me high enough to clear certain obstacles?

- After losing all my lives, "Click to Continue" did nothing when I tapped it. I had to go to the Pause menu then back to menu from there. Also, consider changing the wording to "Tap to Continue" when on mobile devices.

- Something is not resetting and if I try to start a new game after finishing the first one, my player dies instantly and nothing else appears.

- After ending every single other process running on the Android (using Advanced Task Killer) I got 55-60 FPS on the title screen and 25-35 FPS in the game itself.

(Gotta run right now, will post my findings on the other two devices later tonight).
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 23:14
Quote: "Sorry Funnell7 for going off topic "

No probs at all . It's interesting to see how you are all managing movement/physics in relation to FPS.

@xCept, thank you so much for this info. I have been messing around with the 'depth' and I think this is the reason for the 'Continue' not working (I had a similar issue on the Title Screen). As for the player dying instantly, I've just managed to replicate the issue so will get that sorted too! Thanks again for this, its really helpful...
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 01:50 Edited at: 20th Mar 2013 01:55
HTC EVO 4G (800x480, Android OS 2.3.5)

- 25-30 FPS on title and menus
- 25-30 FPS average in game

HP TouchPad w/ Android OS 4.0.3 (1024x768)

- 50-60 FPS on title and menus
- 30 FPS average in game (rarely went below 30, went up to 50)

Overall you have a really fun little platformer here
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 16:43
Thanks again xCept. I've just been experimenting with different FPS rates (by forcing it with SetSyncRate), the difference between 30 and 60 is actually a lot more noticeable than I thought it would be...

I'm gonna try and see if there is anything I can do to optimise this. I remember seeing something about turning off transparency for sprites which do not require it. I obviously have a lot of sprites so am hoping this will help...

I'll also try and get my head around using the frame time to update the physics (read that somewhere too...)

Thank you xCept and AL for trying this on you devices!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 18:15 Edited at: 20th Mar 2013 18:16
I've struggled to get most Android apps over 30 FPS in AppGameKit, overall. What I've been doing is using timer based values for everything and uncapping the framerate so higher end devices can get the best experience possible. AppGameKit makes this really easy using GetFrameTime().

All you do is multiply your changing values by this amount each frame and it will be consistent across all rates. For instance, if you want something to move across the entire width of the device in exactly one second (e.g., your title transitions), you could use x# = x# + (GetDeviceWidth() * GetFrameTime()) It's also advisable to create a global variable to store the GetFrameTime() value at the start of each loop rather than calling the function itself every time you need to use it--the same is true for other constant values such as the device width.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 18:21
xCept, I have tried that and not had much success.

After I do my current round of fixes, I might try again.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 18:35
Funnell7:
There was 2 things about this game that quite bothered me. First off the buttons for left and right are too small. I ended up missing them whenever I wasn't going right. Your first level is a bit too unforgiving for a touch screen game. You have the player jumping over water to try to catch those coins. But the jumps are not easy to get right (trying to get the coins) and one misstep and I'm back at the beginning. If I was playing this on a keyboard I would probably not complain at all, but touch controls are not that easy to get into. I have a health bar in my game and my first level is short but everyone who tries it dies because they are not used to the controls. So this is something I am changing myself. You want to draw in the player by letting him succeed and then slowly raise the bar.

Also, allow the player to turn music and sounds on and off separately. Some people like to listen to their own music while playing. And make the back button bring up the pause menu. It's what most Android gamers are used to.

Demo 3 is out now!
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 21:04
@DA, all very valid points, thank you! I will certainly take a looks at these. The arrow buttons are actually bigger than you may think, its not just the yellow image, but I shall take a look and see if I can make them bigger still... Thanks for the feedback .
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 21:33
Actually, make a setting to choose the size of the buttons. If you are playing on a tablet then you want smaller buttons. The game looks nice but I didn't get past the first level using up all my lives. That's when I gave up playing. Sorry about an all negative post.

Demo 3 is out now!
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 22:49
@DA, no problem at all. I appreciate all comments, both positive and negative! At least it gives me a chance to address them. Thanks again...
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 13:04
Based on the feedback received, I have made several changes:

- Back Button now Pauses whilst in game.
- Click to Continue bug fixed, also now reads 'Tap to Continue'.
- Dying when restarting a new game bug fixed.
- Made first level easier and more progressive.
- Have now split out Music and Sound options.
- Have added various other sounds (Jump, Jump on Enemy, Dizzy, Check Point, Level Complete + others)
- Joystick Images changed.
- Have fixed several other bugs I found along the way.

Here's a new video which includes sound/music.

Last few things to do are 'Timer Based' movement on title screen, final review of all the levels and take a look at the volume (the sounds seem a little loud)... Nearly there now!
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2013 15:01
By chance, we have managed to time this perfectly... Happy Chick Adventures is now available on Google Play, just in time for Easter

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funichproductions.happychickadventures

Happy Easter!!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2013 15:26
You are releasing it already? I hope you do well. It's a solid looking game. I wasn't hooked on the version you released here and my phone is already full of games that I don't play.

A tip though. I don't know if you have more worlds. If you do, post some screens that aren't all blue. All I see are blue tiles, blue water, blue sky and blue mountains on every screen. Even the player character is 1/3 blue. What's not blue is mostly white and there's some yellow. Your main menu is beautiful and full of colors.

Demo 3 is out now!
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2013 23:34
Thanks DA! I agree, there is a lot of blue, but I guess that just comes with the territory (being that its an ice world)... We do have two other worlds (in the making), a couple of small screenies are in the original post. Once they are available we will definitely add more screen shots...

Thanks again for your comments and good wishes!
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2013 12:52
Hi all, we have made a few updates which include several Particle effects. We have also released a Lite Version which includes the first 5 levels and is supported by adverts (AdMob)...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funichproductions.happychickadventureslite

The next update will include a new world and achievements.

As always, we appreciate the comments/suggestions.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2013 13:32 Edited at: 6th Apr 2013 13:33
I wanted to give it another try so I downloaded the lite version. I managed to get through the first level.

One thing I think would improve this game quite a lot is allowing for the player to take one extra hit before he dies. One way to do this would be if you take a hit you loose the cap. The fish, for example, is timed so it kills me every time.

Three things that wouldn't affect gameplay in any way:
1. When I loose all my lives, I can't choose to restart the level. I am back to the main menu again.
2. It only allows me to play in one direction. If I had the phone connected to a charger I might want to rotate the phone 180.
3. I would really like an option for larger buttons. The arrow keys are too narrow for me. I keep missing the left one because I move my thumb too much.

I like the new icon BTW.

Demo 3 is out now!
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2013 17:26 Edited at: 8th Apr 2013 17:27
Thanks for giving it another try DA!! Here are a few comments in response to your suggestions...

We had thought long and hard about allowing the player to take another hit, and the reason we opted against this was because I can complete the entire lite version (5 levels) without losing a life. I thought it would be too easy if we were to add another hit. To be fair though, as I developed it, I obviously have a massive advantage and have played it loads! We have received feedback from yourself and others regarding this now so I think we should definitely revisit this...

1 - We wanted to keep it similar to old platforms like Mario. As in, when you die, you have to start all over again. If we allowed the user to restart from the level they died on, then ultimately that's the same as giving them infinite lives...

2 - Very good point! Fixed for the next version...

3 - I will take a look at this, I see no reason why we shouldn't do this, it makes perfect sense...

Thanks again for all your feedback, we truly appreciate it!!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2013 15:46
Balancing difficultly is extremely hard. It's even harder on a touch screen. The player has to get used to where the buttons are (not standard in all games). You also need to get a feel for how the hero moves, which is different for each game. You may have noticed in my game that the first level has been extremely streamlined and much easier. Before, when I handed over my phone people died almost instantly on something I consider extremely easy myself. Now people can play through the first level on the first try.

Funny story: When Bungie worked on Marathon (old FPS game) they ensured that the game wasn't too hard by only using the fists on the hardest difficulty setting. That sounds insane but tells you the difference in skill levels between the developer and the player.

Quote: "1 - We wanted to keep it similar to old platforms like Mario. As in, when you die, you have to start all over again. If we allowed the user to restart from the level they died on, then ultimately that's the same as giving them infinite lives..."

When I loose all my lives I end up on the main menu. I go to stage select and then I restart the level. It seems unneccary. Lives allows you to continue at the last checkpoint so there is a very distinct difference.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2013 17:42
Quote: "I handed over my phone people died almost instantly on something I consider extremely easy myself."

I know exactly what you mean! I often watch people play it to see how they get on, and it's funny (or frustrating) to see eveyone die on the first enemy! I absolutely agree that having some additional health/hit is definately the way to go... I'd rather it was too easy but people progressing, than too hard and people unable to play it...

Quote: "When I loose all my lives I end up on the main menu. I go to stage select and then I restart the level. It seems unneccary."

I think I get what you mean now. So when you get 'Game Over' there should be an option to 'Try again' which would restart the game i.e. back to level 1 with all your lives... Again, I agree, this makes perfect sense...

Thank you!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:16:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:16:23