Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Any easy guide into making BSP maps out there?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 21:58
I want to make some maps for my game and since simple maps are all what I need, I'd opt for using BSP format. However, I cannot find any easy to learn software to make such maps (I have experience with Sauerbraten mapping so Sauerbraten->BSP converter would be good also).

Any of *Radiant is too confusing for me, I just don't know how to use it and tutorials I've found for it made me confused even more. Also I've tried X->BSP converter found in DBPro Free install dir, but it didn't work either.
It came as "completed", but clicking View Map did nothing and when I've tried to open with viewer.exe, it just said that program is not responding and will be closed.
Also I've tried non-radiant editor, but forgot it name. It was something on 'W' though. It wasn't good either.

So can you help me picking good one? As I've said, I have experience with Sauerbraten/Cube2 mapping so Cube2->BSP converter would be fine but I'd prefer something stand-alone or - better - some kind of Blender exporter plugin (2.63) so I could model level in blender, then export directly to BSP.

Also I'd like some noob-friendly tutorial about BSP mapping since I know literally nothing about it, just know that existing tools for it are too confusing.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 11:52
Why BSP? It's more or less outdated. Try Mapscape or 3DWS which has a terrain tool. Blender can export .X and .MAP (Quake/HL maps) files which you can use as levels. Get yourself a physics plugin to handle your collisions.

Darkhog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 13:31
Thanks, but I've already decided to make maps using blender (making them and exporting into .x). Also I'm kinda outta cash right now and for next 3 months I will be saving for DGS Bonanza (I'm from very poor family and want to break out my poorness by making games but need commercial DBP license first), so the only option for me is Sparky's collision plugin + writing physics myself (btw why mys post here about problems with it wasn't accepted yet?). But since DGS comes with physics plugin (I think), it'd be easier when I'll purchase it.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 22:42
Hi Darkhog, and welcome to the forums, Mapscape is free, and much easier than Blender to use. it is practically similar to 3DWS as well...

Yes, DarkPhysics [PHYSX] is included in the bonanza deal and works pretty swell for most uses...

If we or I can be of any help, just shout out

have you got yourself texture programs as well? there is GIMP and Paint.NET...

Remember to read the AUP [Acceptable Usage Policy] found below the Post Message button and if you need help posting images, YouTube videos or using any of the buttons found above the message box, such as quote or code, just ask anytime, we are all always happy to help

So welcome again and good luck and see you around

Darkhog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2012 03:30
Hello, MrValentine. Thank you for your assistance.

About Mapscape and its easiness to use, that depends on the point of view. I, as long-time Blender user have opposite opinion to yours - for me Mapscape is weird and Blender is easier one (I've tried both). Also I've got quite experience with most game making platforms out there (Stencyl, Game Develop, MultiMedia Fusion 2, Blender Game Engine, CraftStudio, RPG Maker (versions from RM2000 to VX Ace, excluding VX which was mistake) Game Editor, MegaZeux (even made utility program for this one) to name a few), so I know most details of how to make games and have all tools needed.

Thank you for your good will though.

I must admit that I always read AUP/ToS before I go on website too.

BTW. Is there any IRC channel/chatromm for DBPro for instant communication?
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2012 04:08
You must be really good with Blender; you should give me some tips; because I couldn't use it as a level builder, without writing my own python scripts; which I never want to do.

Mapscape and 3DWS, as MrValentine stated, is easier for map production; and more importantly, they feature lightmapping features that are DBPRO ready. How has your UV mapping and multi-texturing going with Blender? I think you'll soon find that getting your Blender textures to work with lightmapping + shaders will be a pain.

This is not to say, scrap Blender altogether, I use it for complex shapes and animation. Heres one of my articles about exporting for DBPRO in blender.

Darkhog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2012 05:49
Well, for me I just hit File->Export->DirectX (.x) and it just works. Also I have no problem with building level that way. It exports fine and looks fine in DBP app, though exported models are bit smaller. However, it is not a big issue as I can just rescale model to proper size (more or less) with DBP commands. Also since I prefer to use texture atlases for my models for speed issues, Blender's UV editor is enough for me.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2012 11:48
Quote: "Why BSP? It's more or less outdated."

This is true. BSP refers more to the rendering technique used rather than the file format, namely Binary Space Partitioning. It has a some visibility and region division uses, but for rendering it's actually a poor technique. It was good for software rendering because it could order all faces for back to front rendering without needing a z buffer, but it causes bloated tri counts, potential flaws where it cuts geometry, etc. Brute force rendering is quicker these days, and we have a real z buffer.

Besides, DBP doesn't even support that anyway because you don't (usually) have control over how things are rendered.

TheComet

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:50:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:50:08