Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [DBP] Open Sea

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 03:58 Edited at: 29th Nov 2012 04:18
Hey everybody,
This is my first WIP post on the forums. I figured it would be a good way to get me motivated to finish a game.

Working title: Open Sea

This is gonna be a 2D sidescrolling game, based around open-ended adventure. You play a guy on a sailboat, who is on a quest to return to his home island, after being kidnapped and left stranded on a shoddy boat on the ocean. Over time, he learns to love his sailboat, and eventually gets it upgraded as the game progresses.

Completed: N/A
In progress:
Game Engine (about 5%)
Level Editor (about 10%)
Media (about 2%)

Like I said, not much is done on this game. But I'll keep you guys posted on it.

Screenshot of the level editor being used is attached.

Goal for next week: Hopefully by then, I will have the level editor to a point where it can be used to make a decent level. It allows for basic placement of images right now, as well as being able to save them, but next week, there will be more features.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 05:11
That is looking promising... I like your botch job on the editor

Can you explain what it can do at present?

I saw a PLAY icon... Does that mean you can test drive the level inside the editor?

Vitamin
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL, I wish. The play button loads a level that you saved previously, but I definitely have to change that.

Right now, the editor allows you to click the stuff on the panel on the left of the screen and place it, and that white square in the bottom right tells you how many more you can place. The check button saves it, and the blue save button saves the whole thing as a single image.

I forgot to mention this: by sometime later next week, I'm hoping to add these features to the level editor:

1--Allow for pasting of images across bigger areas, i.e., loading a 20x20 water image into the editor, and then place it, hit a "stretch" button, and be able to spread it as far as you want

2--Less bugs
3--The ability to choose where to save the level (right now it picks a file and saves it).

It's a long road.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2012 15:38
Quote: "The check button saves it, and the blue save button saves the whole thing as a single image."

So you're saving your levels as image files? Given that you're building your levels based on small ~tiles anyway, wouldn't it be much better and less memory-intensive to simply save inidividual image positions into a file? But on the other hand, if the way you implemented it works well, there is no reason to change it I guess.

About the "run"-button: In Doyle 2 I solved it in a way that my game's exe had an option to run levels using the command line. So pressing F5 in the editor resulted in the current level being saved and the path of the level file being forwarded to the game's exe, which then loaded it and allowed the player to play it, skipping the game's intro sequence, main menu etc.
Pretty simple to program and increases the productivity quite a bit.

Vitamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So you're saving your levels as image files? Given that you're building your levels based on small ~tiles anyway, wouldn't it be much better and less memory-intensive to simply save inidividual image positions into a file? But on the other hand, if the way you implemented it works well, there is no reason to change it I guess."
I forgot to put this in the main post - The part of the level editor shown in the screenshot is like an entity creator, where you can combine images and then save the result as a single image to use in the level editor.

My goal is to split the level editor into 3 parts - entity creator, sprite selector (opens an image file, draws a square around sprites that you want, and stores coordinates and image colorkey data), and the level editor itself (brings it all together).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 16:36:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 16:36:53