Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / My first crate attempt.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 04:54 Edited at: 29th Nov 2012 04:55
What up all? I made a crate for the first time! I decided to give it a go..

So, I found this online:

And though, hey, I could try to use that, make it look better, and try to make a good looking crate.

First, I wanted to make an AO map. So I made this:

In Modo 501, baked an AO map, and baked it to the texture map, and I also modified the texture map a little, so it now looks like:

Then I tried my hand at using unity and greyscale images to make a texture map, making this:

I made that by duplicating, edge detect in PSP, and greyscaled the original, and mixed them to get that, import to unity as a normal map, and applied the normal map and the diffuse to a basic cube, and got this:

I think it turned out good.

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 09:48 Edited at: 29th Nov 2012 09:50
It did turn out quite nice, but, it does still look quite flat.

Have you got a normal map assigned to it?

In the first picture, you have the diagonal planks extruded which obviously look better, but, in the game model, you have decided to get rid of these.

I wouldn't very high poly to keep these as part of the model. There are certain things you can remove from a model and keep it looking the same using clever texture 'magic', but, i think those planks need to be there.

But, that's just my opinion.

Unfamillia

EDIT - Just noticed, you have got a normal map applied, but, the whole thing still seems a bit flat. I understand the necessity to keep the poly count down.

Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
@unfamilia

Thanks for the reply.

I should have mentioned ahead of time that I did this moreover as a, let's see if I can do this, type thing. I wanted to make a cube look as good as I can, the the plain sided one. I never attempted a traditional crate, as it would just be a texture put on a cube, I didn't really know what else I could do. So, this time, I wanted to implement several maps, making 3 in total, diffuse, AO, and normal. I actually already have another normal map to make the planks stand out more, but alas, I do not know how to mix a grayscale mixed with a normal map..

Thanks for the feedback!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-19 02:23:01
Your offset time is: 2024-03-19 02:23:01