Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Mac Archive

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How hard is to upload a zip with the Mac / Android / iOS platforms? Do I have to install Windows just to extract the content?! Please!
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2012 17:31 Edited at: 1st Dec 2012 17:31
Do you mean can you open and view contents of a zip file on android? Yes you can, with an array of apps and file explorers. Or with AppGameKit?

My hovercraft is full of eels
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2012 18:08 Edited at: 1st Dec 2012 18:08
The issue Tessoft is referring to is that the recent beta builds have been uploaded as Windows EXE installers, rather than ZIP files. So, in order to extract the contents for building the iOS/Android/Mac interpreters etc. you have to first run the EXE on Windows, then manually copy the directory over to the other platforms. If it were a ZIP we could simply download the file directly on the other systems and extract it there.
tessoft
Years of Service
User Offline
xCept: This is exactly my problem. If you think for the betas the releases will be only EXE I will install a virtual machine.

Thank you for the great job on the new version!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 2nd Dec 2012 16:49
...Or you could simply attempt to EXTRACT the EXE contents... WinRAR does this with most packages, just depends on the EXE format/pack methods...

tessoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep, I have to install Windows to be able to start WinRAR
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2012 13:11
There must be some type of ZIP tool on Mac surely...

tessoft
Years of Service
User Offline
So, I have to explore the possible Mac archivers in order to be able (probably!) to extract the content from the EXE file. And I should cross my fingers the EXE packager is using ZIP / RAR for the files packaging.
Please, let's talk about something non non-sense.

Anyway, I have to install virtual machine, Windows etc.
Thanks, time is money (not for you obviously).
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2012 20:47
I think I might just ignore this thread for now then.

Good luck with your endeavours, but I think you deserve less respect from everyone on here, I think you have a very dim view on the world.

Quote: "Thanks, time is money (not for you obviously). "

Thanks, But no thanks.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 01:00
Time is definitely money. So it would be a good idea to release zip files for the poor souls using an ancient operating system on Macs.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
tessoft
Years of Service
User Offline
I am sorry I was not so correct but really don't understand how difficult should be just to upload the zip instead of "only EXE"
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 11:29
Well... What you are requesting... Can one of us not supply you with the files?

If you can confirm its legality... Then I or another forum member can extract the files for you...

tessoft
Years of Service
User Offline
My suggestion is simple: just add another download in the Downloads section with the zip. That's all.

it doesn't sound so good even from the marketing point of view:

"We support iOS and MacOS X but you have to have Windows in order to get the library"
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, there are unarchiving tools for Mac (e.g., The Unarchiver) that support extraction of NSIS installers which is what TGC use for the EXE. However, this approach still results in the various errors relating to the Facebook SDK Framework with the latest beta. It's the same problem I had when I extracted, zipped, then unzipped on the Mac the contents of the EXE initially. It seems that only running the installer via Windows, and then copying the entire directory over (or accessing it on a shared drive) without zipping it back up, solves these problems.

Past betas were released as ZIP packages rather than EXE installers. Lee at one point said all the EXE installer is, is a glorified ZIP with I believe the only addition being the shortcut etc.
tessoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you to everyone for the discussion.
I have installed a virtual machine with Windows.
Still believe it was waste of time but this is the reality.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 22:56
Keep in mind that v108 is still in beta and not 'officially' released. Once it is out of beta, I'm sure they will create the zip file like they did for v1076.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 09:32:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 09:32:46