Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK vs DBP for PC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 22:43
Hey folks,

Quick question here and forgive my ignorance but AppGameKit and DBP in terms of speed, which one is faster? I am assuming DBP correct? I haven't enough experience with them as whole to know, but we are considering some possibilities for the future in our discussions for a few PC based casuals.

That being said, if DBP is faster is it limited only to Windows development, no Mac or Linux compatibility?

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was to convince the world he didn't exist."
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 22:47
Dark basic pro is direct x and i think thats a explaniton in it self.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 22:50
Well, dark basic is a pretty old engine, and it can only use 1.8 gigs of ram ect. Also, AppGameKit will probably support newer technologies as well as being more supported by TGC
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 22:58
DBPro is absolutely only for Windows.

As for speed, once it is compiled things run about the same. It all depends on what you are doing.

And, with AppGameKit, whether you are using Tier 1 (Basic, AppGameKit IDE) or Tier 2 (C++, MS Visual Studio).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
gbison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 23:17
Quote: "Dark basic pro is direct x and i think thats a explaniton in it self."

Very true, unfortunate though.

Quote: "Well, dark basic is a pretty old engine, and it can only use 1.8 gigs of ram ect. Also, AppGameKit will probably support newer technologies as well as being more supported by TGC"

I understand that, although I did not know about the memory limit. I have both languages but like I mentioned we have only really began development in AppGameKit, We have had Dark Studio for a long time but never developed with it. I am enjoying AppGameKit which sparked my curiosity about DBP and its speed abilities over AppGameKit since its labeled as producing machine code. Being solely a windows platform kills it this day and age.

AGK is interpreted if I'm not mistaken, I assume this due to the fact of all the different platforms of support. Which would possibly mean this wont change correct? Therefore using T2 would make for the absolute fastest environment of anything up to this point since we can compile nativley across all platforms.

So in my minds eye, I'm thinking that T1 can make for quick work of a concept from our team then that concept "if needed" can be quickly converted(re-wrote) to T2 for the fastest performance on each device as possible. So given that along with the multiple platforms available, hasn't AppGameKit in a sense already made DBP obsolete and/or is that the intent of TGC?

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was to convince the world he didn't exist."
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 23:29
Quote: "AGK is interpreted"

Sort of and only applies to Tier 1 development.

The AppGameKit IDE creates a byte code file by compiling the project files. In Tier 1, the executable program (created sort of by the IDE and named the same as the project directory it is in) then reads the byte code file and executes it.

If you go Tier 2, C++, then it is purely compiled.

Both Tiers are usable for cross platform development and publication.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2012 00:08
I see very widespread the false myth that if a language is interpreted, it cannot be used for production but only for prototyping.
Java is the most famous example of that thought not corresponding to the reality. But there are a lot of interpreted languages used for scripting and development (Perl, Phyton, Ruby and many others).
In my opinion T1 Basic is the right evolution of DBPro, while T2 is the right evolution of similar libraries (DarkGDK, I presume).
Choosing DBPro now is a mistake, since it is obsolete and I do not see any serious plan for the future. I developed some games with it, but now I have stopped and I am using AGK...
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
AGK is generally faster than DBPro at handling 2D, while DBPro is leap years ahead of AppGameKit when it comes to 3D and general language maturity. DBPro is limited to Windows computers, but if that's all you are developing for it has the benefit of some features AppGameKit does not (e.g., custom antialiasing). DBPro also has a great number of plugins, both free and commercial, that vastly expand its capabilities. AppGameKit has no plugin support. Still, AppGameKit looks to be the preferred language going forward given its multi-platform support.
mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2012 11:37
Quote: "Choosing DBPro now is a mistake, since it is obsolete and I do not see any serious plan for the future."

With the development of FPSC:R and DBP/DBE that has been stated will be developed along side of this, this may no longer be true (I hope not anyway).

It seems to me that after they release the next full/stable version of AppGameKit, that they will concentrate on FPSC:R and AppGameKit will slowly fall by the wayside...I hope this isn't true though...

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Mr D, this makes no sense.

So DBPro & DarkGDK have been left abandoned for a couple of years. Recently DARKgdk has been picked up by a dedicated user and revived.

After AppGameKit 108 will be released, you say it will be abandoned (maybe for a couple of years) to revive FPSC & DBpro?!!!

What kind of strategy is this? I know of NO other company in this business that works like that.

If you have a product, stick with it, market it, and make it stronger.

TGC have worked a lot on AppGameKit in the last months and released regular betas. THIS IS THE WAY TO GO!

The other way, leaving AppGameKit by the wayside, to revive an old DX only product is a big NO NO!
mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2012 14:04
I agree with you (for the most part)...
The above is only my own opinion on the most likely direction that I see unfolding - I'm not saying that I particularly like it, or that I agree with it (if indeed that is what they plan to do) as I'd like all their products to be maintained/improved upon in equal measure (well maybe not equal measure as personally I'd prefer AppGameKit and DBP to take precedence )

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2012 14:11
Quote: "It seems to me that after they release the next full/stable version of AppGameKit, that they will concentrate on FPSC:R and AppGameKit will slowly fall by the wayside...I hope this isn't true though..."

It certainly isn't true. I'm using AppGameKit full time and will constantly be needing updates and bug fixes. AppGameKit and Freedom Engine are very high on the TGC agenda.

We have been running a number of products at the same time for a long time now and only unpopular products tend to lose focus.

I don't remember the DBPro community being quite so easily panicked as the AppGameKit community

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2012 15:12
The currently plan is for Lee to focus on FPSCR whilst I take over all the AppGameKit work.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
And when Lee is done with FPSC he can get back to do more work on AGK.

I think the only downside to this is that it will take sometime for us to see AppGameKit for Win8 + Win8phone, but we can survive

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 00:01:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 00:01:49