Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Video Tutorials - 4 Hours - Creativity with DBPRO - Using 3D World Studio + Blender

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2012 02:18 Edited at: 8th Jan 2013 11:54
----------------------------------------------

Video Tutorials

Miniature Golf Game Engine
Introduction to 3D World Studio
Blender for DBPRO

----------------------------------------------

Miniature Golf Engine Tutorial

This is a series of videos split into two halfs which demonstrates how to develop a Golf Engine using DarkBASIC professional. The DarkBASIC professional program features external plugins which can be installed to extend the language to make the process of creating the basis of a golf game engine. To take part and make use of the engine being created in this tutorial series you will need the following plugins:

Dark Dynamix
Matrix1

The Dynamix plugin supplies a framework for NVidia PhysX support; and has a light weight free edition available.

As mentioned in previous videos; I will be using 3D World Studio, but there are alternatives available.

Program Structure

Requires basic understanding of DarkBASIC professional object loading, texturing and manipulation.

Part 1 - Introduction
A look at the engine and 3D World Studio entity definition

Part 2 - Program Data
Using user defined types and globals to store game information

Part 3 - Level Loader
Loading a 3D World Studio object and parsing its structure and entities into an NVidea PhysX scene

Part 4 - Game Loop
Programming of the live game and processing keyboard actions

Part 4 - User Interaction
Handling mouse events and changing the velocity state of the ball

Golf Course

Requires understanding of 3D environments. Basic understanding of 3D World Studio or similar applications recommended.

Part 1 - Getting Started
Making a start with primitive level structure in 3D World Studio

Part 2 - Test and Tweak
Make some final tweaks then test the game engine

Introduction to 3D World Studio

This tutorial set is focused on getting 3D models created for the DarkBASIC professional game engine.

If you've just purchased DBPRO a few days ago and are stuck with creating maps; or you are pretty good with programming but could do with learning how to model maps specifically for DBPRO; I have created a new YouTube playlist with over 4 hours worth of basic demonstrations entitled 'Creativity with DBPRO', which shows you how to use Blender and for the most part 3D World Studio to create models for DBPRO.

Hopefully more users of DBPRO who are not quite sure where to start with models, can get into modelling and start improving their creations using Blender and 3D World Studio.

Program Structure

Requires no prior experience.

Part 1 - Overview
About the 3D World Studio software and its alternative

Part 2 - Vertex Editing
Using the mouse to deform various primitive shapes into complex ones

Part 3 - Essentials
A look at the important tools for creating common scenes

Part 4 - Lighting
About light-mapping and how to light the scene

Making a sign in Blender for DBPRO

Blender is a popular modelling package that is available for a fee download with no strings attached. This short series of videos demonstrates Blender to DBPRO work-flow; getting the edges to display right, applying textures and exporting for the engine.

Blender Sign

Requires a basic understanding of DarkBASIC 3D objects.

Part 1 - Cylinders
Getting cylinders to look right in the engine

Part 2 - Creating the mesh
A brief demonstration of how to model a sign in Blender

Part 3 - Applying DirectX ready textures
A look at how to apply textures that will work in DBPRO; also a brief introduction to Blender materials

Keep this maintained with your support by spreading the word. Thank you for your time.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 13th Dec 2012 02:44
BTW, if you have the Dark Game Studio pack, you have 3DCrafter 9... maybe try that as well?

Just saying,

Keeping posted and will spread the word once all the videos are up or more

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 01:22
looks great chris. i'll have to watch them once i get the chance... keep it up..

gamer, lover, filmmaker
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 01:53 Edited at: 14th Dec 2012 03:10
Quote: "BTW, if you have the Dark Game Studio pack, you have 3DCrafter 9... maybe try that as well?"

I am sure 3D Crafter 9 is a good 3D development tool; but I've never used it, since I don't need it. I got DBPRO before DGStudio came out. I can only demonstrate what I know; and there are lots to cover. At first glance, 3D Crafter looks like it has less than 25% of Blender's features; but that does not mean that it is not better at doing a specific job. If you let me know what's good about it, then I'll try it out. Otherwise, I'd recommend Blender which is free, if you don't have Max/C4D/Maya or something expensive.

Quote: "
Keeping posted and will spread the word once all the videos are up or more"

Note that all of the 4 hour feature is up (Roughly 7 or so videos if I remember correctly).

It is an embedded playlist, which works by advancing through one video after another automatically. You can manipulate the playlist by selecting the view in YouTube button. Be sure to pick HD quality, which I cannot default.

My current video layout is a work in progress, I will try to lay all videos out in the same page when I get some time.

Quote: "looks great chris. i'll have to watch them once i get the chance... keep it up.."

Thanks, I hope it proves helpful and fun. I will see how things go, and will decide what tutorials to add. Likely some DBPRO graphics programming and some more Blender stuff.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2013 12:14
Update 08/01/2013

Golf Game Engine

This new tutorial series introduces how to get started creating a golf based game in DBPRO.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:08:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:08:54