Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Beta5 T1 Status

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 14:56
I would like to receive from TGC the following info:
- does Beta5 work with Windows XP?
- does Beta5 support OpenGL 1.x?
- if not OpenGL 1.x supported, does Beta5 support DirectX wrapper?
- has the most important issues been resolved (e.g the END not working, the compiler errors due to codeblock issues, etc)?
- Do the 3D commands work smoothly on all platforms.
Some clear words for TGC would help. Otherwise me (and many people I suppose) will remain stuck to 1.076.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 15:53
Quote: "- does Beta5 work with Windows XP?"

Yes, or at least we intend it to, if you encounter problems let us know.

Quote: "- does Beta5 support OpenGL 1.x?"

No we now require OpenGL 2.0 as a minimum.

Quote: "- if not OpenGL 1.x supported, does Beta5 support DirectX wrapper?"

Currently we do not support DirectX, although we may look at this in the future given the number of integrated Intel graphics that support DirectX 9 but not OpenGL 2.0, for some reason.

Quote: "- has the most important issues been resolved (e.g the END not working, the compiler errors due to codeblock issues, etc)?"

I think Lee has said that the end command can only be called from the main code path, not inside a function or gosub, although this may change when we look at the compiler.

Quote: "- Do the 3D commands work smoothly on all platforms."

They should now work on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I found 108 beta 5 to work almost flawlessly on Windows 7 & Windows 8, when it comes to 2D.

But then I am using T2 so I have no idea about problems related to T1 basic.

so well done for that.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 18:23
Quote: "Currently we do not support DirectX, although we may look at this in the future given the number of integrated Intel graphics that support DirectX 9 but not OpenGL 2.0, for some reason."

Ok, I am the happy owner of such Intel adapter, so I will be stuck to 1.076 until 1) DirectX shall be supported, or 2) I'll change my laptop or 3) I'll test my apps using only my Android smartphone.
Thanks for the kind and prompt answers.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 18:31
Last thing: my current app has the END statement into a function.

Who has written that an END or an EXIT command cannot be executed into a subprogram? Wirth or Knuth?
In the case above, I would have to return a value (let's say -1) to the "main" code, and then execute the END from that. This is a solution, but I do not see the need for such trick.
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 21:29
Quote: " Wirth or Knuth? "

Knuth!

... teaches programming through pseudo assembly language, does that allow end statements in functions? No Wait...

Do I get a prize ?

Quote: "This is a solution, but I do not see the need for such trick."

It's not needed exactly, but considered by many to be good programming practice to "close any doors you open".

When you enter a function you are opening a door. To just stop there means leaving that (and any others on the way) open.

AGK is very forgiving, many languages wouldn't tolerate such behaviour.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 22:06
The 'end' command does not exist at all in Tier 2.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 22:12 Edited at: 19th Dec 2012 22:13
Well I can confirm that. On my laptop, which has intel hd 3000 graphics, OpenGL 2.x runs rather slowly, while any DirectX is actually fast. Weird.

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
Motion Struct blog
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 22:35
I can't see why End is there at all!

If you call it from within a function, the interpreter has pushed the function jump onto its stack. Leaping from there leaves the stack in a bad state.

It would be better to set a flag to exit the main loop, which will then drop through, and any clean-ups can be done before the program exits.

Got a copy of Knuth on my shelf. Not exactly a light read! Don't think I've touched it for 25 years.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 14:55
sorry, I do not agree. In an interpreted language, the clean-up process or garbage collection should be done by the intepreter. By no means the "stack" of the virtual machine should be left in an "non-deterministic" state because the exit has been invoked out of the main program. Even in a bash or perl shell script, you may exit wherever you want.
We are not programming in Assembler...
About Wirth or Knuth, mine was only a joke. I have attended my first programming course at the university in 1988 using the Wirth book (Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs), and we used Turbo Pascal (generating the famous max 64K .COM executable).
About Knuth (The Art of Computer Programming)...never covered

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 23:10:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 23:10:39