Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Call external app..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 22:35
Quick question, is there no methods available to call and external app(exe) from T1?

Thanks!

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was to convince the world he didn't exist."
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 22:42
I would hazard a guess that the answer to that is definitely 'NO'.

Doable in Tier 2, at least in Windows, but I wouldn't bet that you can in iOS or Android. But I could be wrong on that.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
gbison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2012 02:14 Edited at: 21st Dec 2012 02:16
I knew I could in T2 but that's a bummer for T1, ah well maybe that can be an option for the future or maybe the rest of my team needs to get comfortable with T2 (crosses fingers...lol)

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was to convince the world he didn't exist."
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2012 02:14 Edited at: 21st Dec 2012 02:18
Technically this can be achieved to varying degrees of success depending on your target platform by exploiting the OpenBrowser() function. On modern Windows computers it won't work very well due to the security of all browsers. On iPhone, you can open any installed app that has implemented the requested URL hook (but there's no good way to check if the user has the requested app installed before attempting to launch it).

For instance, to launch Instagram on an iPhone and put it in Camera mode so the user can take a picture, you can call:

Quote: "OpenBrowser("instagram://camera")"

(You'd have to be in Tier 2 to actually write an AppGameKit program to support such protocol hooks itself so one AppGameKit app could launch another AppGameKit app).

To attempt opening Notepad on Windows, you could use:

Quote: "OpenBrowser("file:///c:/Windows/System32/Notepad.exe")"

This will launch the default browser and try to open the EXE. In modern Internet Explorer you'll get multiple warnings and prompts before being able to run it, while other browsers will simply try and save it as a copy. So this method is definitely not advised.
gbison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2012 02:19 Edited at: 21st Dec 2012 02:20
Quote: "So this method is definitely not advised."

Noted.....thanks friend. Im working on a client/server architecture or the best I can come up with for AppGameKit, but I'd like to have this ability to call "externally" and launch various other needed mini apps. I guess I will just have to build it all inclusive.

Thanks for the info guys/gals.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2012 10:44
It's possible on Android, but not recommended - but it is possible to use other processes if the permission is set in the manifest.

I haven't looked closely at Android Services, but they could be very useful.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 17:27:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 17:27:58