Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Dark AI work in complex worlds ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

Is it possible to make Dark AI commands work between several floors of a building or a complex map where objects can move in 3D path ( climbing stairs and going to different floors of a building as well as moving around obstacles in terrain ) ? If so how ?

Thanks,
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 21st Dec 2012 17:47
Just tagging in here, as funny enough A.I. is the next thing I am looking at as soon as I get some more physics sorted out...

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Just tagging in here, as funny enough A.I. is the next thing I am looking at as soon as I get some more physics sorted out..."

Means ?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 21st Dec 2012 18:14
I am joining the discussion as interestingly enough, I will be delving into Dark A.I. in the coming days/weeks and will learn more about them, started looking more at the example code that comes with it in past few days...

So hopefully I can bring some insight if nobody else does...

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
@MrValentine: Ok thank you.
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
How many maximum objects ( animated and static ) can I have while using Dark AI ? Is there any limitations ?
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2012 14:38 Edited at: 27th Dec 2012 14:42
Dark ai is very good at avoiding obsticles on a 2d plane. you basically assign objects to be static obsticals, it reads for collision within a certain section of the y axis(assigned by the user)
any object that has been assigned as an entity will take steps to avoid the collision points. you can place nodes to better guide them, but i didnt bother, it works pretty well without them.

so far as multi story goes, i would use an if statement along the lines of...

if target is upstairs
make way to co ordinates at bottom of stairwell
move between nodes leading up the stairs.
use your own collision routine to keep the character on the stairs
load next levels ai collision map.
continue to target path
endif

I like it, there are simple commands for basic FPS AI functions.

you can also turn off automatic mode and use its functions to build a more complex custom routine.
you can place them into teams, set them to be aggressive, evasive or idle. make them hear sounds or "see" objects you can set the range of their detection. With a little customization you can make it as complex as you want.

so far as how many, I made a very basic program where there was a village of 3dplane people who got hungry thirsty bored and tired. I had quite a lot of them going at once. I haven't noticed much of a performance hit using it. i imagine it would be similar to how many moving objects you can have on screen at one time before performance is compromised.

the demo in my sig link uses Dark AI for the enemy monsters.

kezzla

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
@Kezzla: Thank you for sharing your experience. Using fast bone shader I can have around 100 animated character ( ~ 3500 polygons each ) all animating and visible within view-port. Can Dark AI handle that much of entities ?

For multiple level geometry you are suggesting to break up each level into separate obstacle maps and when the character is moving from one level to another by stairs - I handle that part manually using my custom code ?
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2012 10:16
Can Dark AI handle that much of entities ?
never tried that many personally but the overhead seems reasonably low for darkai's work.
Quote: "
For multiple level geometry you are suggesting to break up each level into separate obstacle maps and when the character is moving from one level to another by stairs - I handle that part manually using my custom code ? "

yeah that's how I would do it.
you just need to get them up the stairs and then load them into another container (you can have multiple 2d collision planes on different heights sorted into "containers") when they go upstairs the get put into the next floors container.

the easiest collision that it uses is "make obstacle from level", which takes your level mesh, casts a 2d plane at a chosen height and of a chosen x y size. anything that it touches is deemed an obstacle. you can do more than one at different heights and make them different containers. so you could make one for each floor of a highrise building.

then you just have to take care of the entity actually moving up the stairs as apposed to moving through them on its same Y position.

Hope that is helpful.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 18:44:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 18:44:12