Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Recomended program to convert 2d charecters to 3d?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2012 10:37
Hello, Hope you all had a great Christmas.

I'm hoping to make a 3d character from this 2d character:

I have very little modeling knowledge. Only used sketchup for simple static images but have never animated 3d.

Anyway for my first step I would just like to convert that 2d into 3d then I could learn to animate it later.

I've head of so many 3d software out there and It gets so overwhelming.

I looked at 3ds max but seems to expensive and complicated anyway.
Blender is free but got very confused with the interface.

I really like the look of milkshape and or Anim8or. They both seem to have the kind of interface that I think I could get used to.

What would your recommendations be for this kind of modeling? milkshape, Anim8or or another similar program?

Thanks.

Ed.
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2012 14:02
Quote: "They both seem to have the kind of interface that I think I could get used to."

You answered your own question.

Try both (trial versions available) and see which one you feel most comfortable using.
I use 'Milkshape' because the interface is easy to get to grips with and it does most of the things I need it to do but the modeling 'toolset' could be better and I prefer to use another program for UV mapping rather than Milkshape's 'Texture co-ordinate Editor'.
A very big advantage is that Milkshape has a 'huge' ammount of tutorials which can be found on the Net and is a 'very' in-expensive program to purchase.

At the end of the day its realy down to your own personal preference.

NOTE - The best way to go when converting 2D to 3d is to model it in a 3D modelling program from scratch sampling the colours from the 2D image to be used in your texture for the final model plus the advantage of learning new skills in modelling.

Good Luck with your choice.
keyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2013 04:38
Happy new year!

Thanks so much for your help! Got kind of busy with learning anim8or.

Here's what I've done so far:

Thanks for all your help.

Now I'm going to animate it.

Ed.
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2013 15:41
keyte

Very nice indeed you have done a great job on this.

NOTE - You may want to point the 'feet' forwards to make them look more natural (not sure if you want them the way they are though).

Also check that you do not go over the top with the 'poly count' if this is going to be used in FPSC.

Again, great work.

All the best of luck.
keyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2013 15:58
Yes. Did the feet. And made it into a t-pose. Also I reduced the poly count to 20000. I will make the head much smaller too I think.

I hope to get it into fpsc but the animation work seems like a heard job to get all those animations that fpsc uses.

If I just rig it myself would I then be able to use that Animer tool to add animations for fpsc? Do I have to rig it in a special way for fpsc right?

In fact I have rigged it already and I have already added 2 animation sets to it.
raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2013 22:50 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2013 22:55
It looks good. 20000 polys is ok for close up shots and cinematic scenes, but FPSC chokes out really fast on poly count. Your gonna want to create another level of detail and aim for 5000-8000 poly's. Put the weight of the character into your textures. One technique is to use your 20000 poly character to create your normal and specular maps and then lay those on top of your 5000-8000 poly character's Diffuse texture. Looks like the hair is where I would start with this.

Here's someone else doing this type from Doom 3

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=17335

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 20:36:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 20:36:57