Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [X9] Creepy Zone

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2012 21:01 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2013 11:02
CREEPY ZONE

Developed by MetalDevil123

Using FPS Creator x9

Description:
Creepy Zone is a game I made in a couple of days (3 to be exact) just for fun. I got some inspiration reading creepypastas and playing other scary and obscure indie games. The name sounds silly, just because it kinda is. I just had the word "creepy" from Creepypasta and the word Zone from... well, it's just a zone that is creepy.

No story, just scares. But if you want something, then; You travel through a surreal and nightmarish world. There is nothing but hostility and horrific imagery around you. Enter if you dare.

Screenshots:

Download:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/22800178/Creepy+Zone.rar

IndieDB page:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/creepy-zone

Comments and criticism are welcome, but keep in mind that this indeed is a 3 day project, just made for the scares and the lols. I hope some of you are scared by it, it's not as sophisticated or elegant as say Dark Dreams (no puzzles or story), but it's still as surreal, if not more Hope you like it! Awaiting your reviews!

NEW! LilnBeard made a playthrough of this on the Youtubes. Check it out, it's quite cool;

Also, a playthrough by MrToeknee21 (as I found out from the comments, his brightness was a bit off, so the video is a bit dark):

And, a playtrhrough by PortersPlay:

Another playthrough, this time by BalutAndCrackers:

And yet a gain a playthrough. Now it's ChewbacotacoPlays playing. Just a heads up, there is a bit more cursing in this video and also some REALLY high-pitched screaming.

Aaaaand here's a playthrough by SimmySimmyCocopuff:

Here's a playtrough by Markiplier! MARKIPLIER!

And a playthrough also by Yamimash (who I think linked the game to Mark):

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2012 21:03 Edited at: 30th Dec 2012 21:06
Damn, I knew I forgot something! The [x9] mark on the title. If a mod passes by and would be so kind to add it there, I would be grateful. Thank you

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 00:53
Creepy . . .

Downloading right now, will give my thoughts after I've played it. It looks suitably creepy, so this should be interesting.

"I'm inspired by my own wise quotes, thank you." - Burger, 6/7/12
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 09:32
Cool, waiting forward what you have to say about it.

Here's the link to the IndieDB page;
http://www.indiedb.com/games/creepy-zone

If you'd like, maybe you could visit there, maybe help it rise in popularity a bit?

ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 11:05
Creepypastas everywhere!

Looks great, I'll see if I can get time to download it.

~Nic
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 22:37 Edited at: 31st Dec 2012 22:38
Hey metaldevil how do I pass this part:

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 22:50
Walk down the corridor and you'll come to a bigger room. Walk into the room and see what happens. At least there shouldn't be more than walking down the corridor to it.

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 23:04
Sorry I didn't say it in the post but I cannot walk through the door, it blocks me.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 00:04
Weird, never happened to me before... I'll have to see and test it again, if it happens.

PixelF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 00:55
That was scary! Gave me a few jump scares.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 11:13 Edited at: 1st Jan 2013 11:48
Quote: "Sorry I didn't say it in the post but I cannot walk through the door, it blocks me."

Well, I think it may be the door and the frame there, that are the problem, as even though I still could walk through, the character did that little collision thing that it sometimes does. I'll upload a new build without the door and the metal frame, just the door cut and hopefully it works this time. Thanks for commenting on it though.

Quote: "That was scary! Gave me a few jump scares."

Thanks, glad you liked it! And glad you got scared

Thanks everyone for their comments!

EDIT*
http://www.gamefront.com/files/22804855/CZ.rar

Here's the new download, that should fix it, not sure if it does, but let's hope so.

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2013 22:36
Downloaded the new version and I could walk through fine.

Neat little horror game there, and I couldn't help but noticed you used the same panic scare sound effect that I've used lol.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2013 09:40
Quote: "Downloaded the new version and I could walk through fine.
"

Great!

Quote: "Neat little horror game there, and I couldn't help but noticed you used the same panic scare sound effect that I've used lol."

Thanks, yeah I just used sounds from freesounds.

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2013 02:30 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2013 02:37
Nice job, Metal Devil

Some small issues...

Spoiler

The last shock effect did not have the right timing for the sound.

The ceiling had the same texture as the ground at some points. Don't know why people don't fix this, it's a simple thing and almost instantly kills the immersion in my view. But well...

That dog images in front of the windows (or whatever) were really, really blurry. Another point where the question comes to my mind... why? Easy fix.

Apart of that (I'm always so cruel when it comes to critis ), Great Job! Short, but I really enjoyed it and it was even quite a bit scary.

Take a beer, you deserve it

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2013 10:16 Edited at: 13th Mar 2017 18:47
Quote: "The last shock effect did not have the right timing for the sound."

The timing was supposed to come later. It wasn't so much supposed to be a shock effect as a kind of a "did I just see that?" moment, so it was not intended to have sound.

Quote: "The ceiling had the same texture as the ground at some points. Don't know why people don't fix this, it's a simple thing and almost instantly kills the immersion in my view. But well..."

Yeah, I know. I'm usually more careful about that stuff, but this time I totally forgot it.

Quote: "That dog images in front of the windows (or whatever) were really, really blurry. Another point where the question comes to my mind... why? Easy fix."

I was trying to make them look a bit like TV screens (though they're still not meant to be TV screens), with the smiling dog images, but I didn't quite pull that off as I intended to.

Quote: "I'm always so cruel when it comes to critis"

It's honesty, not cruelty and it's what gives me the chance to improve myself and I thank you for that.

Quote: "Great Job! Short, but I really enjoyed it and it was even quite a bit scary"

Thanks, glad that you enjoyed it!

Quote: "Take a beer, you deserve it "

Thank you!
doopus
Years of Service
User Offline
A few thoughts on the game:

Without a story, the scares were much less effective. I found myself walking around waiting for jumpscares, and when they finally came, they weren't as effective and lacked motivation.

I also found the sound design to be somewhat lacking. I praise you for using custom sound effects, but I still think that lots of them could have been better. Many of them felt out of place and not very consistent, and a lack of apparent ambient noise/music made the game feel hollow.

However, I believe that your level design was the outstandingly good part of the game. The game's realistic areas felt natural enough, and the more dreamstate/less natural areas (I'm not sure what to call them) were attractive and well thought out. Definitely some of the better level design I've seen from these forums.

I also enjoyed the "chase sequence" with the monster, as it was the only real gameplay element of the game. It was the most frightening part, even if only slightly, and forced the player to think and act quickly.

On a last note, I did too encounter not being able to walk through that door, but crouching allowed me to pass through. I haven't tried the updated download, but I hope it's fixed.

Good effort!

*This post will self-destruct in 10 seconds.*
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2013 06:12
Thanks for the review doopus! Appreciate it. Maybe I could have done some story to it, but just thought that I won't bother with it, since it's a quick project that I didn't want to sink too much time into. Didn't think that it would take away from the scares that much. And I'll try to do a better job with my sound usage the next time.

Glad that you enjoyed the chase sequence and the level design. Maybe I'll try more of that (chase) stuff the next time I decide to do something like this.

Thank you for taking the time to review this

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2013 17:58 Edited at: 11th Jan 2013 17:59
NEW! LilnBeard made a playthrough of this on the Youtubes. Check it out, it's quite cool;

EDIT* updated first post with the same thing.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 07:01 Edited at: 29th Jan 2013 15:45
Two NEW play throghs of Creepy Zone that I found!

one by MrToeknee21:

and one by PortersPlay:

EDIT*
Another playthrough, this time by BalutAndCrackers:

Also, I found a couple of other play throughs of this, but they're not in english. Should I link them here and just say that they're another language than english? What do you think?

I also stopped posting for every video that appears. I still try to update every english one I find on the first post, but no multiple posts by me anymore (unless I really REALLY have to do one). So thank you for reading.

3Bit
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good!

3Bit
Muzzles56
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 20:29
The first picture makes me think "Attack of Windows 8!"
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2013 23:16
Quote: "Looks good!"

Thanks! Did you play it? How did you like it?

Quote: "The first picture makes me think "Attack of Windows 8!""

I guess they do look like the Windows 8 logo. Thanks for the comment. Have you played the game? Did you like it?

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 18:58
Downloaded and played. My honest opinions on this game:

Graphics
Not bad. The Windows 8 themed room was pretty good, and all of the actual rooms had a good feel to them. The colors were appropriate and not intrusive or overly bland.

7.5/10

Media
Good mix of custom and stock media. I especially liked the bunny rabbit guy - was this an inspiration taken from Alice in Wonderland? I also liked the shadowy guy in the hallway. Not to mention the Windows 8 walls.

Stock media was good too, from the walls to the doors to the desks. I also liked the use of bond1's flashlight. Awesome!

9/10

Placement of Media
Sorry, but this was just lousy. The first few rooms you walk through, everything is off to the side. There is nothing in the middle of the rooms, and I have a really hard time believing that nothing would be scattered about in the middle of the rooms. Even in the hallways that were dead ends nothing was in the middle of the hall, with even tables being at the far ends.

The other thing that really made no sense about placement of media was in the hallway where you eventually end up facing the shadow guy. At one point, there is what essentially becomes a circle (or square) in the hall - you go right, then turn left, then turn left again - ending at a half ramp of some kind before going back into the main hall you just left. I don't get the purpose of this, other than to get the character to wander around aimlessly?

The switch in the room with the Windows 8 walls also seemed extremely out of place. I get that you needed something to activate the bunny dude and transport the character, but I would think something else more appropriate to the theme of the room would have been in order.

3/10

I have to stop here because I never got past the shadowy guy. I absolutely despise being forced to face enemies without having any weapons of any kind. I had the key and stood by the door, punching the "F" key on my keyboard, hoping the door would open and I'd teleport somewhere else. Never happened. I died several times here before giving up.

My advice is that if you are going to have the person get attacked, turn on the lights and give the guy a weapon to fight back with. I doubt you'll change the game, and I commend you for not doing so and sticking to your guns. But without changing this, I won't play it again to see what the ending is.

OVERALL SCORE: Incomplete due to inability to finish the game. There is either a bug present preventing me from opening the door, or the game needs to be changed to allow the character to fight back.

Priest of the Church of Joe Wood

In memory of Nanee. 9/1/1993 - 5/16/2009. Rest in Peace, little girl.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 05:49
Thank you for your honest opinion! It's much appreciated!

Quote: " I had the key and stood by the door, punching the "F" key on my keyboard, hoping the door would open and I'd teleport somewhere else. Never happened."

Well, that must be bug as I put the "F" key as the use key. Don't know what's causing it though as I've never seen this happen before.

Quote: " doubt you'll change the game, and I commend you for not doing so and sticking to your guns. But without changing this, I won't play it again to see what the ending is."

I won't be changing the game in any way other than fix any game breaking bugs (I've changed it that much before). But I don't really know how to work with this bug as the key is there and all the entity fields are filled correctly and it should open the door. This has to be one of the strangest bugs I've heard of.

Quote: "My advice is that if you are going to have the person get attacked, turn on the lights and give the guy a weapon to fight back with"

Maybe for a game with another style. But I will continue to do games in my future with the inability to fight back as I really like that kind of games that make you feel as powerless as possible (like Amnesia or Penumbra: Black Plague). Although that's a hard thing to accomplish and I don't know if I ever got that feel quite right in my games.

Anyways. Your review is greatly appreciated. And I always tip my hat for anyone who gives out their honest opinion, no matter what they're gonna say. Thank you for taking the time to write your post.

SamKM
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, nice game, very creepy!
I recognize the dog picture near the beginning as smile.jpg :3
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2013 11:01
Thank you for the comment.

Now, I know I said I won't comment about every video posted, but I have to. Yamimash and Markiplier played. I was just amazed to see in my news feed on Facebook, that Markiplier had played the game. So here is a link:

And Yamimash:

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work on the game.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by pledging now :- http://vishnu.chipin.com/vishnu

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 02:36:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 02:36:08