Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / A DarkPhysics like solution?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, so I've grown to love AppGameKit and I cannot wait until the 3D support is more developed! I do however wonder if TGC will release some sort of physics solution for AppGameKit?

It would make getting things working a lot easier than programming our own physics and I can guarantee people will buy it if executed properly!

Would you like a physics solution for AppGameKit? I know I would!

Asus N53Sn, Core i7 2.9ghz,
16 Gig DDR3 ram, Geforce 550M 2Gb
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 10:47
We plan on adding either PhysX by nVidia or Bullet physics or something very similar. It is definitely planned at some point although I can't promise when.

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 11:38
PHYSX!!!!!!! not so keen on bullet I believe theres a licence fee involved?

I was not sure if PhysX was available on mobile platforms yet... is it? if so I would be very greatful for it being used...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 12:27
I'm not sure which system we'll use yet. It might be that we need different systems for different platforms, I guess we'll have to wait and see. I thought bullet was free but I could be wrong.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 12:42 Edited at: 31st Dec 2012 12:53
Yes I agree with that... multiple engines for various platforms...

According to this wiki article it is zlib free http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_(software) bullet that is... thats good to know...

However it appears to be free for free distributed software... not sure about commercially paid dostribution... perhaps one to bring up in a skype call with the Gods >_< best to cover your tracks as a bite from something like that can have huge repurcussions... {apologies for any typos or bad spelling... I feel a bit iffy today and I am using my mobile at my shop... and I just cannot stand the prediction crap}

EDIT

Did some digging... found this for you

http://bulletphysics.org/mediawiki-1.5.8/index.php/LICENSE

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I feel I have to mention, that box2D is avaialable and is useable in 3D projects. Hodgey first mentioned the idea and I thought it a very good one. You can use the 2D physics and use that to position the 3D objects. Fair enough it is limited, but for basic 3D games it should work a treat. Obviously actual 3D physics would introduce a lot more options. but as an interim solution it would work with basic games, if used wisely.

kordman916
Years of Service
User Offline
Using multiple physics engines would defeat the whole "Write one and deploy everywhere" aspect of AppGameKit I think...

Asus N53Sn, Core i7 2.9ghz,
16 Gig DDR3 ram, Geforce 550M 2Gb
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2013 13:38
Quote: "Using multiple physics engines would defeat the whole "Write one and deploy everywhere" aspect of AppGameKit I think..."

Not if the physics engines all performed the same operations (they all do work in a very similar fashion in my limited experience of PhysX / Havok / Bullet / Newton etc.)... anyway I'm only guessing. The last I heard about it was long before 3D was introduced. I would wait for some official word before worrying about it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 22:02:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 22:02:14