Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Downloading media

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2013 16:39
Hello,
I have been gathering a few of the free models people have been giving out on the forums, but I cant get all the models working in FPSC. I feel like its just something I'm not seeing. The problem is they are completely white or they don't show up. This is mainly the problem with segments and weapons could someone please show me the correct place to put each folder.
raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2013 05:03
Typically when the model comes out all white, grey, or black that means the software cannot find the texture image. For example if you put all of the media in the entitybank folder and it was supposed to be broken up into meshbank and texturebank folder. Or if you renamed anything. For the ones giving you trouble, open the fpe file (in notepad if your not sure) and look at the texture line and see where it's looking. You can either move the texture to the proper folder or type the new path into the texture line. If you still have trouble post a link to the forum thread where you got the entity and I'll give it a try on my end.

For the ones that don't show up: can you see them in the editor or are they just a tiny, tiny spec? I found some here that the scale is so small I have trouble even clicking on them to remove them from my map.
Chris Bamber
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
also if the engine cannot find your X file it will be represented by a small, white dot.

As the person above states, you can look in the FPE file to see where the engine is looking and either move the X file to that location.... or change the path.

If they show up in the editor, but in the game are invisible (but still showing shadows) that may be a sign of a problem with the shaders...the fix for that would have to be done with whoever created the media.

Artist Tag : Kasseyus
Check Out My TGC Store for Loose Media
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2013 15:24
So the problem is if you rename something then they could show up white, am I correct? The problem with the objects not showing up is with the weapons, I can see it on the editor and in game but when I pick it up nothing is on the screen.
raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2013 17:37
Quote: "So the problem is if you rename something then they could show up white, am I correct? "

Yes that is definitely a possibility and is standard with almost everything a computer does. (I'm not sure of your level of computer knowledge so please do not take offense if you already know this. It may help someone else as well). If you rename almost any file on a computer you must also open all files that reference it and change the name there as well.

Example:

weapon model was called myweapon.x but you rename it to myawesomeweapon.x

How does the .fpe (First Person Entity) file know what you renamed it too? It does not...Until told to do otherwise (by you) it will still be looking for myweapon.x but it will no longer be able to find it.
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2013 04:41
Okay, Thanks for the replays, and I understand the part about changing file names, but I didn't know that changing the folder name had the same effect.
Thanks for the help.
Last question I wanted to ask is, for the segments if they turn up white, the only way to fix it is by changing the file path to the texture through scripting. Correct?
Chris Bamber
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2013 20:05 Edited at: 14th Jan 2013 20:07
You could either change the file path in the FPE to point to the textures.

Alternatively you could move the textures to where the FPE is pointing too.

If there is no file path in the FPE then the textures should go in the same folder as the FPE file itself.

Ohh - and remember there are lots of free models on the TGC Store . Over 500 last time I counted and FPSC ready to boot!

Artist Tag : Kasseyus
Check Out My TGC Store for Loose Media
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 17:14
Okay Thanks everyone, I have put the segments in the right place so they are now working. I still haven't fixed the weapons, but I probably will find the problem over time and I don't need them since I Own model packs 9-10.
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2013 22:56 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2013 23:03
Quote: "Last question I wanted to ask is, for the segments if they turn up white, the only way to fix it is by changing the file path to the texture through scripting. Correct?"

For segments, the "correct path and filename" must be used in the ".fps" files in the segments folder, and .Fpe for entities, in your entitybank. This applies to all files required for the engine to display your media properly, including scripts ".fpi" meshes, ".X" files, and textures. Good luck!

Back from the Wasteland.
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 15:22
Thanks Cosmic, I ended up reading your tutorial on how to install media and it helped.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 14:17:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 14:17:19