Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / multiple textures assigned to X file

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2013 18:26
Hi all, I read carefully through the threads already here, but most of them were fairly old.

Does it still apply that static entities can`t bear multiple textures, allthough they work fine on dynamic entities?

I have a huge cathedrale using 8 different textures, and it works fine when I have it dynamic - immobile. It also works when its static as long as it is in-editor. However, when I have it static and hit the test button, loading the cathedrales X in the adding static entity step crashes FPSC.

So is it even in our all-new-shiny 1.20 version that we cant assign multiple textures to statics? And if Yes, why is it so? Can someone explain me the technical reason ?!

Come to where the madness is:http://www.indiedb.com/games/into-the-dark
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 00:58 Edited at: 16th Jan 2013 00:59
ahh you are like me. one of the most things I hate about fpsc is that this cant be done. but Im hoping fpscR will be able. something I going to run pass Lee about.as for now it s no. dynamic can only do this. i have models like this to. but make sure when you build a game or that level. you will need to drag and drop the textures on over. fpsc will not include the textures in the build game automatically.this is also why some people want the dynamic shadows back. but its best that you use characters. here is a pic of a multiple textures character. also shaders will work.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 10:01
Hey Ertlov , drop me a line. I may have an unorthodox solution to your multiple texture problem. It's not an FPSC fix but an alteration of the model that I would than happy to help you with.

Model pack 66-99 high quality items...cheap!!
"Who loves ya baby!"
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 10:25 Edited at: 16th Jan 2013 10:56
Spamed you in Facebook Chat

Edit: attached in-editor-view 1 (outside)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 13:34 Edited at: 16th Jan 2013 13:50
Ertlov

Has your model an 'interior'? (Can it be entered from the outside somehow)?
I know its a long way back but have you thought about splitting your model up into to seperate chunks (each with seperate UV map\texture) and making it a FPSC 'segment' file?

I did something like this recently with a huge Tower model which was textured on the interior as well as the exterior of the model ('No' floor area in model).
NOTE - When I first created the model I scaled it to a grid made up of FPSC floor segments in my modelling program (7x7 to keep a central segment to be placed at in the Editor) and made sure the model would fit in the Editor and cover the spaces where the floor segments meet each other.
By doing this it would allow me to add a floor segment of my own choice to become the floor for the Tower.
The only drawback by doing this is that I had to keep my Tower model scaled to FPSC scales regarding floor segments and that I had to have a central point in that scale where the model would be placed at in the FPSC Editor and cover the floor segments of my choice perfectly giving the Tower model its own interior flooring which fits perfectly within the confines of the model (No bleeding outside of the model).
NOTE - The Tower model had an 'open' doorway with no door to allow the player to enter it which is the 'only' point where you can see the exterior and interior floor segments butting up to each other.

I ended up splitting the model into two chunks 'tower body & roof (with interior ceiling)' and gave each chunk its own UV map texture file.
I used and edited a FPSC 'stair\steps' FPS file for the two seperate parts of my Tower model which is great because it will allow you to include the address for each texture file for the model (colmode = 0 was used).
EXAMPLE FPS

NOTE - This method allows you to place entities within the segment model, FPSC 'wall item' models as well if there are flat walls on the interior of the model.
NOTE - There is an order which should be followed to place the model in the FPSC Editor which is:
1 - Place your 'Interior floor' down first in the exact shape of your structure.
2 - Now you can either place a few entities down at locations on this flooring area (wall items excluded) or place your structure by finding the central point in that flooring and adding entities after that.

This method works well for 'huge' building structures but you will have to mess about a bit to get all the correct 'X,Y,Z' position values in the 'FPS' file to piece the model parts together perfectly.
It could also be used to just put structures together which have 'No' interiors.

LAST NOTE - The main 'base' part of the model which sits on the base floor in the Editor 'MUST' sit within the floor segment and not show outside of either the top or bottom of the floor segment because you will get Player collision problems if you allow this to happen.

I hope this helps and good luck.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This method works well for 'huge' building structures but you will have to mess about a bit to get all the correct 'X,Y,Z' position values in the 'FPS' file to piece the model parts together perfectly."

If all the parts have been exported from the modeling program as they sit when created they will import into segment creator in exactly the same point, if they all have their own central pivot.
This way you don't have to mess around with the .fps offsets and save a lot of time and work.

I don't trip over...I do random gravity checks.
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 16:21
Quote: "If all the parts have been exported from the modeling program as they sit when created they will import into segment creator in exactly the same point, if they all have their own central pivot.
This way you don't have to mess around with the .fps offsets and save a lot of time and work."

Correct, but I personaly like to export each part of the model with the 'Center at Position Offset' function enabled in 'Milkshape' because I want to ensure that my base model is perfectly centered so that it fits the floor segments perfectly when placed in the Editor.
Plus I had also created a 'pilla' entity (x4 pilla) for the interior of the Tower segment which had spaces in the ceilings texture to fit to which I couldn't afford to get wrong if not centered 100 percent correctly.

I guess its just a guarantee I like to adhere to but maybe I am being a little too causious.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 16:36
Quote: "I guess its just a guarantee I like to adhere to but maybe I am being a little too causious. "

And yet your work turns out perfect every time.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@Ertlov :- If you can email me the model with all the textures and I find out why its crashing.

I'm not sure whats been changed to not use multi texture since I've had a bit of a break from the source, I'm just starting to get upto to speed with it now.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by pledging now :- http://vishnu.chipin.com/vishnu
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2013 12:47
S4, its around 200 megs with all textures, I`ll pack it for you and send it via mediafire, if thats allright for you!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 06:31:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 06:31:26