Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / My first model

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and to FPS Maker. I've been messing around with FPSMaker Trial version these past three days. I quickly wanted to see how difficult it would be to add my own content so I downloaded Blender, went through a couple tutorials and here is my first model! It's supposed to be a wall segment. Textures are not mine, just stuff I found on google. Be kind to a noobie in the fabulous world of FPSMaker!

U aware? *Bert stare* DYEL?
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 13:22
Very impressive for your first model!

I do like the textures. I know you said they aren't yours, but, for your first model, you have unwrapped it well enough to get it to look good.

One thing i will say is, When you are modelling low poly pipes - as you have here - its best to hit the 'smooth shading' button. It gets rid of those ugly lines that you can see in your pipes.

Other than that. I think you have made a great start. Welcome to the world of modelling.

Unfamillia

One last thing, if you are looking to use this in FPSC, i would try to keep the poly count a little lower than it is at the moment. If you were to have a number of these placed in your level to mimic corridors, your fps would drop badly.

What people tend to do when modelling wall segments, is too only model the side of the wall that you will actually see; and try to keep the level of detail to a minimum and manipulate the shader maps to get the desired look.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 13:26
Arion - Welcome to the forums!

Very nice work and I agree with unfamillias comments...

Looking forward to seeing what else you make!

FPS Creator

Arion
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for the kind words.

Next time, I'll try to keep the number of polygons to a minimum.

Here is a SMG I put together yesterday. The poly-count, I'm afraid, must be over the roof. How am I supposed to model a detailed gun without putting "too much polys"? Are there any tips or tricks to it?

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2013 18:30
one thing you can do is not use 32 or 64 sided cylinders, because that will bring so much unnecessary polygons. And I think you overdid the scope - bevel wise.

I would stick to approx 16 sided cylinders if youre going low poly - I personally prefer 8-12 though, 16 for stuff like scope and other closeup objects.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
bobochobo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2013 18:43
Looks like you've made a good start.

Can you post your wireframes?

All browsers should come with compulsory spell checks.

Arion
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for the late reply. Here is the wireframe of the SMG. The amount of poly's is ridiculous...

I modeled a sci-fi rifle. It was originally 3k+ polys. I managed to reduce the poly count to 1.4k by using the decimate function, without altering the shape of the rifle (except that the magazine is now straight instead of curved). Is 1.4k poly's a reasonable count for in-game performance? Next step for me is texturing. Uugh. Time to read up some tutorials.

bobochobo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2013 14:09
Max poly count varies. What game engine do you use, what's your target platform, how large do your environments need to be, etc. See this for an idea http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=43975.

If I was you I'd undo that decimate; the handle and stock look really messy. If the're not going to be seen close up that's fine, but otherwise they will look ugly.

I've circled areas where you can save polys as the area will not be seen. You should also consider reducing the edges on your cylinders to about 12, there's no need to have so many if you're doing a low poly model.

When you've finished this model you might want to look into normal mapping, basically it uses another texture that dictates how light reflects of each point of the models surface. This lets you add in extra detail and smooth without adding in extra polys.

All browsers should come with compulsory spell checks.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
Great work. I agree With bobochobo, Look into normal mapping. It can cut your polys in fourths if you do it right.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-19 05:26:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-19 05:26:47