Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Breakout game suggestion

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Im creating a breakout game, and I don't know which would be better/ easy to make. Ive coded a lot of it, but im not sure if I should do a space invaders style where the bricks at the top slowly move down after a certain amount of breaks have been destroyed, or if I should create levels after all the briks have been destroyed.
Also, any suggestions for the bricks; Im not sure if I should duplicate a brick and rename this multiple times, or another way. Any suggestions?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2013 12:40
I'm not seeing what falling bricks and creating levels have in common. Hit a brick, it falls down. After breaking all bricks move on to a new level. Sounds like you should do both.

And what do you mean by duplicate a brick and rename it multiple times?

"You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!" ~Tick
Framester
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, i mean like after I hit a certain amount of bricks, the whole line lowers to introduce a whole new line of bricks. Or just once i destroy all the bricks on the page, a new level. Whats in common is instead of creating new levels for my first suggestion, I could just continiously lower these untill either they get low enough, or the user loses 3 lifes. When I hit a brick, it doesn't fall it jsut disapears. And for the last thing, i dont know what would be easyer and less complicated, creating an array for all the bricks, or just get my brick, save and rename it multiple time and use these as new sprites.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2013 17:36
Do whatever you want. It's not up to us to dictate what your game should look like in the end.

TheComet

http://blankflankstudios.tumblr.com/
Quote: ""
- Randomness 128
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2013 20:03
Quote: "i dont know what would be easyer and less complicated, creating an array for all the bricks, or just get my brick, save and rename it multiple time and use these as new sprites."

Build a grid which would hold all possible locations of the bricks. Use an array to represent this grid. If the array element has a value greater than 0 then place a brick there. You only need 1 image per different brick type. Just use paste image or paste sprite to duplicate it on screen.

"You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!" ~Tick
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 23:30 Edited at: 18th Jan 2013 23:50
I would suggest both methods! Have two play types on the menu: Survival and Standard

With survival, you could have the ball speed up as you progress. And instead of inserting a row on the top when the bottom row is gone, Just move all the bricks down and insert a new line at the top after a certain amount of time has passed. The player could get a point for each brick that is broken, and maybe a multiplyer for breaking several bricks with one paddle reflection. When the udpate comes and a new row is added, if the bottom row moves too low, then: GAME OVER! Your Score is: ####

With standard, you could have several different levels with different brick layouts. Example:

And for the way of storing the brick information, I would use a 2 dimensional array and a User Defined Type. The array can be used to relatively store the positions of the bricks, and the UDT will give each brick in the array multiple adjustable attributes. Plus, it makes me feel like I'm OOPing.

(This is really rough code. Don't have DBP at work, so I used notepad. It's not playable, and I don't even think it will compile. It's mostly just showing structure.)

What everyone said above is correct. I just wanted to go into a bit of detail. Hopefully, it's not too confusing for you.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 03:06:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 03:06:23