Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / The BLUE SCREEN of FRUSTRATION!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline

I've been looking at this code, and figured I'd try my hand at this tile business. I've read through it, I understand how it's working and could probably replicate it myself without just copying and pasting the code. So, I'm quite happy I've gotten that far. Now, there is one thing however that is bothering me ever so slightly.

All I see, is a blue screen, and a white box jumping around at insane speeds. (I've played with the variables to slow the box down, as to get an idea of what the variables did, and then read through the code)

Having looked at another project I did, I noticed I was using sprites for everything. This seems to work. This GET IMAGE and PASTE IMAGE business isn't really doing the trick. As I said, I used sprites for everything, including the backround etc. What I dont want to do, is have 1200 sprites loaded on the screen, and then have all my enemies and player stuff on top of that. Sluggish? Yes, I think it might get a tad silly. So if anyone out there can tell me, or point me in the right direction, I'd really like to know why this bit of code isn't displaying the brown boxes for the platforms like its supposed to (images) and why the player (sprite) seems to display.

Cheers,

- Steve
Snafu
Years of Service
User Offline
And yes, I did search the forums before posting

- Steve
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't really follow your thread very well. If you arent drawing the platforms in your own code then that is a problem with the code. If I can't see the code, I can't help you. Paste image is fast in this example, but 3D plains are even faster. Try 3D!

Draw a background the size of your screen. Save it.

Now in DB...

Load bitmap "Your Background.bmp",1

Make object plain....the size of your screen,1

Texture object 1,1

Position object 1,0,0,500

Set camera to object orientation 1

Now to make your sprites you load their images and you texture more plains with those images.

Position your player character in front of the background a bit.

Position object player 0,0,499..or less

You can now use the same collision code, the same Data code, everything is the same as the example, but you have a faster engine.

Pincho.
Snafu
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Pincho,

cheers, I'll have a play around with doing 2d.. in 3d. If anything, it's the way forward, and I need to start getting my head around 3D, as lets face it.. it's the next generation of gaming. Time to learn I think.

If you'd like to see the code (it's been pasted here before) it's been inserted right at the top of my post. I'm just curious as to why the problem I described occurs? This code appears to have been pasted many times before, and I can't see if it's for DBPro or DB.

Incidentally, I use DBPro.

- Steve
Snafu
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,

Pincho - Thanks a lot for the pointer to go 3D, even for 2D. It's giving me all sorts of ideas.

And for no reason at all, SOME OF MEH SPRITES! (Or should I say, textures )

- Steve
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Now that you are using 3D plains you can ghost them to make realistic fire, shadows, and magic weapons.

Pincho.
Snafu
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I've seen stuff like that in other "2d" games. e.g Capcom vs SNK 2. Brilliant flashy effects and fireballs, always wondered how they achieved this, and now the logic is oh so clear.

See, this is the kinda help I like. A lil bitta code / quoting from elsewhere to get you started, and all sortsa things open up.

Pincho, do you have any stuff you've made I could perhaps take a look at? You seem to be quite the 2d/3d crossover enthusiast these days

- Steve
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2003 14:07
http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=dbpro_tutorials

that should help evading the blue screen syndrome.
that's mostly for sprites, but I think it uses the same thing as well all use to get rid of that ugly blue bg. Just change the background color. You should save it to your program template file so that you don't have to write it every time.

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Most of my stuff was uploaded on the old RGT forum. I don't have a site to upload to. LLRGT only has 250k upload limit. So you'll have to wait for Japers Capers which will be my 2D/3D game. Hopefully by the time that's finished, the new RGT site will be ready to upload it.

Pincho.
Snafu
Years of Service
User Offline
las6, yeah, I've read stuff about getting rid of the blue background business, but the issue I have is that the PASTE image command (which'd be the fastest way of doing a 2d platformer without using 3d plains) doesn't ever, has never, and doesn't seem like it ever will want to work for me

thanks for the link though, I'll check it out, perhaps there's something in there that'll give me some ideas. I'm gonna go 3D anyway, and use a slightly different method of plotting the backdrop. Perhaps store co-ordinates in to a file, and read those out, along with size of platform and the appropriate texture to stick on it.

If I might ask another question now.. I'm considering doing the level editor before I start putting the game together, as this'll speed up creating the levels. I can implement the same code in to the game itself, so it's not a wasted effort. This'll give me a chance to get used to how DBPro handles files... Anyone got any pointers on things NOT to do whilst making a level editor?

Cheers,
- Steve

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 01:35:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 01:35:06