Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 1st post - intro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2013 02:17
Hi.
This is my first post to introduce myself.
I have been playing with dbpro for about 2 months now. I bought it about a year ago and have been lurking the forums since.

I started programming BASIC back in the very early 80s. Our family got the Atari 800 for Christmas and I started programming out of books and magazines. Things got really interesting when I learned how to write assembly code into my basic programs. I programmed with VB in school but mostly with C and C++. I can do things for the web also.

I wanted to give a shout out to all those who I have already lifted code from.

Anyways I have been looking into making a 2.5d game to tinker with. I have almost completed my editor but then I went out and got World Creator 2.5. So I can work with bump maps and such, but what I really need is an artist. I have played with Blender and several other 3d modeling software and I have never been much of an artist. I need someone who can create custom 3d models and turn them into iso sprite sheets with a 4:3 aspect ratio. I already know about Reiner and his sets, but he isn't doing custom jobs.

I have done some searching and found places to post jobs. This is best alternative I have atm, the free sprite sheets just don't have the quality I need. To learn to make the quality I need will take months off the programming aspects. So I decided to come here and ask if you all have preferred artists you work with?

I am condensing months of info and have probably left something out. Feel free to ask questions or whatever.
I will add more info to this post later.
Thanks for reading.
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 03:14
Check in the 3D section of these forums. There are a few guys there offering to do free work. I don't know if they can do what you want. Also check the sticky's in that forum and all the others. I think in that forum someone put a list up about finding artists. You will find a lot of good info in a lot of the sticky's. Welcome aboard!

Dragonslayer
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 08:13
Available Artists for Free Work

Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=190364&b=24

======================================
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 11:52
Mdj - Hello at last

Mdj
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 01:48
Thanks for the replies.

I looked in the 3d forums and will likely post in the free artists section first.

I found a link to Turbo Squid and looked at that site for a while.

This is forcing me to get more specific on what I actually want and that is good.

As far as general animation questions go...

What is a bare bones 3d model called? The kind with no rigging?
I need one of those with a wide array of animations.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 02:00
Quote: "What is a bare bones 3d model called?"

Static model?

Kind of a good question, as I would like to know the regular term for this too...

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 11:32
Quote: "What is a bare bones 3d model called? The kind with no rigging?
I need one of those with a wide array of animations. "

What do you mean by a "wide array of animations"?

As to a model with no rigging, I suppose you could call that a "model without rigging". A static object is an object in DBP that cannot be moved.

TheComet

http://blankflankstudios.tumblr.com/
"ZIP files are such a retarded format!" - Phaelax
Mdj
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 20:58
For animations... for instance Reiner's tilesets include 8 or 12 frames/direction/action. So there are 8 attack frames in each 8 directions. I am looking for at least double the # of frames to get more realism etc.
With multiple attacks like high, low, mid, forehand & backhand attacks plus blocking for 8 directions is easily hundreds of animations.

I hope that answers your question Comet.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 23:48
I'm still a little confused. Are you talking about 2D animation (like using sprites and images), are you talking about 3D models with animated textures (the model never changes shape, but the textures do), or are you talking about 3D animation (rigged and animated models)?

The reason I'm confused is because you were talking about animated static models (wtf). Perhaps I misread.

TheComet

http://blankflankstudios.tumblr.com/
"ZIP files are such a retarded format!" - Phaelax
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2013 01:08 Edited at: 1st Feb 2013 01:43
Quote: " I need someone who can create custom 3d models and turn them into iso sprite sheets..."

Maybe rendering sprite sheets with 3d models?

You mentioned 2.5D at the top.
Are you talking about 2.5D like Shadow Complex, or 2.5D like Mario RPG?
3D assets in a 2D world, or 2D game with 3D rendered assets?

I'm assuming the latter? You want 3D Models that you can render each frame into an animated sprite atlas? If this is the case, you will still need an animated model. Unless you intend on animating it yourself.

I really don't think that the 3D models you are talking about really have a name. You're more likely to find non-animated models over animated ones simply with "3D Models." Animated/rigged 3D models aren't as readily available and I'd use the term "Animated 3D Models."

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
Mdj
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2013 08:38
All I need are skeletons that move. When I say skeletons I mean bare bones animation elements, whatever are used to create the lines and that's it. No texturing or anything else is necessary.

Comet the closest example you had was "are you talking about 3D animation (rigged and animated models)"
Given I don't know much about the process of modeling and animating so I hope I am using the right words.

zero, I had to look up Shadow Complex. Nice looking game. I think a good example is Baldur's Gate series.

About "3D assets in a 2D world, or 2D game with 3D rendered assets?"
I see your example on SpriteWorks. Yes this is the sort of thing I am after. I can handle sprite sheets well enough just not the modeling and animation aspects to achieve the spritesheets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5D
Isometric (axonometric projection) is my goal atm.

Thanks.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2013 04:58
a model that has a basic bone skeleton, but not a full rig, is 'skinned' this can support simple animations and is what dbpro handles mostly due to the .x format

a fully rigged model has controls to aid in animation, manage inverse kinematics, constraints, focus targets etc, this sort of thing is a bit beyond what .x can handle, but can be implemented in dbpro via code.

that being said, im still a little confused about your goal. are you ultimately going to be using sprites or objects, programming with 2d commands or 3d commands? if what you are after is an animated sprite sheet of isometic images, it really doesnt matter how the artist goes about making it. this could be produced by a 2d artist, or rendered out by a 3d artist.

Mdj
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2013 00:04
Hi Ortu.

It sounds like I need something beyond the .x format as a fully rigged model. Originally I thought rigging was the pasted skin that gives them a look and solidity.

Sprites or objects. at this time sprites. i can manipulate them to the level i want to go to. Are objects 3d? I don't intend on any 3d at this point. Maybe I will go that way later.

Thanks for the heads up on the 2d artist. Do you know of anyone?
On deciding between 2d and 3d artist, I already posted on the 3d forum, but I guesstimated that 3d artists are more plentiful and that the result generally looks better rendered down from 3d, though might not have as much character.

I will see if there is a 2d artist wanted section.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2013 01:43
"2d all the way!" board just below 3d chat is for 2d art and i think you will have better luck for dealing with sprites. most 3d artists make objects for use in full 3d environment.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:21:06
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:21:06