Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Silo 2 and DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I try to create a model in Silo 2. I export it as a 3ds file and load it into darkbasic. It loads fine. Problem is, I get no textures. Any ideas?
zeroSlave
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 28th Jan 2013 20:04
I don't remember if .3ds files include textures, but I know with .x files, you'd have to make sure the texture is in the same folder as the model.

Otherwise, use texture object objID, texID to manually set the object's texture in DBP:

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
Alkerak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2013 20:12 Edited at: 28th Jan 2013 20:35
I used DBConv.exe to convert it to an x file. Still no success in loading the texture.

I know of that command, but that does not include complex texturing, like UV unwrap ...

So basically Silo 2 is useless for DBPro?
zeroSlave
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 28th Jan 2013 22:49
I'm not sure. I've never used Silo 2.

When using texture object it still uses the model's UVs. If you need to set texture stages for use with shaders (such as diffuse with normal and specular) you can use different texture stages, such as:

If you are wanting to use multiple images for one object, (like pic1.png for pants, pic2.png for shirt, pic3.png for head, etc.) then you'll likely run into an issue no matter what 3d modeling package/file extension you use. You could seperate the model into different parts for each texture, use a texture blend shader, or, your best option may be to get all the images into one image per model.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but hopefully it helps!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2013 09:41
I wouldn't use the .3ds format in DBP, .x or .dbo is your best bet. I don't export directly from Silo 2 to DBP, I export it to .obj and then import it into another program and then export it to .x. It should keep the textures attached without resorting to texturing commands. MilkShape3D should do the job as an exporter (plus you can use it to animate any characters you make in Silo).

But Silo 2 isn't useless for DBPro, I use it myself.

Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 2nd Feb 2013 15:43
If you have not already purchased Silo you might want to try a free program called "Wings3d".
It exports to direct x and loads perfectly in DBPro. I have found it to be a lot easier to use than
any other modeling program out there. It has a great system for quickly creating a UV map no
matter how complex the model. I got my modeling badge using wings3d.

http://www.wings3d.com/

Modeled in wings3d and rendered from wings3d with the Pov-ray plugin.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP3,Vista,Windows 7 SP1, DBpro v7.7RC7
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-19 02:57:55
Your offset time is: 2024-03-19 02:57:55