Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Project: Nightmare (Working Title)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 11:41 Edited at: 12th Aug 2013 23:47

Hello, my friends! Bedside here. I'm actually REALLY excited to show this game to you all. As some of you know, I'm working on two games at once to prevent burn out. This one is interesting however, and is totally unlike anything I've EVER done. DIMM (or dimm: either all caps or no caps is correct for stylization) is what I like to call a "Plotless-Dream-Puzzle-Epic." Why have I thrust this strange description upon this game, you ask? Well, where do we start?

PLOT
Let's start with the plot. I actually do have my own version of the game's story ready, but I'm not in any way implementing it into the game itself. This is because I wish to welcome players to spin their own tale inside the adventure. The game is set inside the erratic dreamscapes of the player character who is possibly slumbering away in his bed, or trapped in a coma upon a hospital bed, whatever the player believes is true can only be barred by the extent of his or her own imagination. Along the player's journey, they may come across a smiling snowman, or a door leading to nowhere, or a raging fire beneath the surface of water. It's up to the player to decide what this means in correlation to the character's life and/or journey. I'm also toying with the idea of setting up a page for gamers and fans to post their ideas of the game's story. And that's that. Dream, make your own story, done.

GOAL
As the unnamed player, you must guide yourself through a seemingly insurmountable amount of puzzles, games and tests. The player cannot die or lose, (the following "timed idea" is planned to be somehow implemented) however a timer will constantly take note of how long it takes for the individual to pass a full level. As a bit of fun for the gamer, one can use this final time in order to challenge friends to beat their final time. Using only fire axe as your only means of a tool, push, pull, throw, climb, jump, break, or even fall your way to victory!

ORANGES
Here are some nice screens and some more info about the game, or as I like to call them: Oranges.

The game starts here, in the "Dream Living Room." Is this perhaps where our John Doe has fallen asleep?

The puzzles and game is separated by "Dream Rooms." Having the game set in a purported sleep state
has definitely opened up interesting design choices as nothing can ever truly be wrong in a dream."

While some puzzles tickle the brain and require the use of cold, hard wit, there will be some puzzles like
this house of cards that test the player's platforming and hand eye coordination.

OTHER
The game is based off a dream that I had where I was stuck in the white room from the film: The Matrix, and I was left trying to find my way out.

The game's look and feel, either physically or through sound, was inspired by Tim Burton and the Matrix films.

Many of the rooms, while taking inspiration from real rooms from a household, contain "themes," such as a wild west saloon, an under water forest fire, and much more.

As the game is set inside a dream world, this has provided me with a setting where each room does not require many entities, allowing me to often place ten to fifteen rooms a level.

Some puzzles require players to truly think outside of the box, as they are in a dream world.

As a final statement, I would like to say thank you for taking the time to read this big description I've laid here for a project I'm really excited about. However, crafting a puzzle game is troubling as I need to find good testers that can try and attempt to solve all the puzzles and riddles that I have laid about. If anybody is interested in trying and reviewing the game, please leave a comment below and I'll get to you!

Sincerely, BedsideReaper

"I think I'm getting the 'Black Lung,' pop."

"Derrick, you've been down there for one day."
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 12:39
If anybody is interested and has the time to try out the first level, here is a link to download it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/4262196021/ProjectNightmare.rar

I only have a couple of requests: Please time your play session as to display the difficulty of the puzzles and simple playtime of the game, and please tell me what you thought of the game (was it fun, puzzles too hard or too easy, better hints, etc.) Thanks ahead of time!

BedsideReaper

born for game
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you. Playing......

PixelF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2013 02:23
This looks interesting.
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2013 02:38
Thanks guys! Is anybody having any trouble downloading the file however? My buddy said that he had problems downloading it as he claims that RapidShare kept blocking him.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2013 15:13
Yep.

"Download permission denied by uploader"

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2013 23:04
Sorry! Fixed it.

PixelF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2013 04:53
This is a very puzzling game.

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2013 06:15 Edited at: 9th Feb 2013 06:18
Quote: "This is a very puzzling game.
"

Originally, I wanted the game to be just one level, so I tried to stump the player as hard as I could (just like the manual said: No mercy). However, with the massive amount of differentiating puzzle themes and types that I had come up with, in the end I figured I would just add a few more levels to extend game time out.

Here are some hints for players that would like some help in finishing their journey.

Room 1

Room 2

Room 3

Room 4

Room 5

Room 6

Room 7

Room 8

Room 9

Room 10

I hope that helps everybody. Hope you enjoy.
BedsideReaper

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2013 09:18
Bedside here. Just wondering if anybody has gotten all the way through the first level, and what their opinions are. Thanks!

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2013 20:39
I did. It's for the most part very good and creative. I especially liked the room with all the doors. The room with the grass, make the grass dynamic, as it has collision now.

The puzzles where you have to carry around something dynamic, was a pain, as you couldn't rotate your camera without dropping the item. And I got stuck on the top of the card pyramid. Also, I don't know how I opened the two doors. I just jumped onto the pyramid, it told me to press enter and I did and the doors opened, I don't know how anyone could logically come to the conclusion to do that, because I saw no indication that I could actually use something there. Not a switch or anything like that.

The room where everything is on the ceiling, that was quite an interesting one. Took me a while to figure out what to do, but it seemed logical enough in the end. Still would like some indication of what the actual goal of the room is.

Other than that, it's really good. I liked the puzzles, liked the design, overall I liked the game. Good job.

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2013 07:16
Definitely gonna try this out later on today (it's 12:16 AM right now ). I'll give it a whirl and let you know what I thought.

Cheesehead for life.
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2013 06:43
Thanks for the input, guys! I'm working on the basic outline for levels two and three, but once those are done being worked out, the bug hunting shall begin!

I also found the same pain with the carrying mechanic, however, I kind of developed a style after I noticed you can't be stationary as you turn, or the object will stray from the player. I noticed that it's easier to keep track of the entity you're holding if both the direction keys and mouse are being moved at the same time for some reason. However that's just me.

I should be able to post some new screenshots soon detailing some of the more interesting puzzles. However, I had this idea for some more tools for the player and I'm searching for an artist that could help me craft them. So once that's done, I can get down to some serious work on the game and probably upload a trailer and some more levels.

Thanks again for the support, guys!
BedsideReaper

Lyonia Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2013 11:46
Nice to see something new!

Lyonia 4 Life
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2013 12:33
It's been a while! So, news on the game. Like most people on the forum, my personal life has been invading my work life (what, with starting a Let's Play show on YouTube, and working on a novel) and lately I have had barely any time to work on my games, but that doesn't mean I'm done, it just means progress has severely slowed. My search for a weapons artist goes on, as well, as I have some REALLY awesome puzzles in mind that requires the need of these tools. So keep an eye out, guys. With that, I shall all leave you with two screenshots of some of the new rooms/puzzles for the game. Hope you like em.

BedsideReaper

The player starts the second level here, where Joe Dirt presumably lives.

Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you: Office Stonehenge!

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2013 06:40
Quote: "Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you: Office Stonehenge!"

Unique, I wouldn't have predicted that.

I haven't played the first level yet, it is something I will do. Watch this space.

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download demo today!
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2013 11:06
Pretty creative, I love it.

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice. Maybe try to lower the saturation of the model textures and lower the bloom a little so they fit better into the white environment.

The Master D
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, this is a fantastic idea that you have going here. To me,the number one way to make a successful game is to allow the player to have manipulation of the story, and you are giving them entirely free-reign of the story, and I think that's the coolest thing that a game could provide. Kudos to you my friend, I'll be watching this thread closely. Keep up the good work!

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz, Radeon HD 7850 2GB, 8 GB RAM, Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 00:51
I love the dreamy concept of what you have shown so far even though I am not a big fan of the FPSC 'bloom' effect but you make it work well with the design of your scenes.
Good luck with this.
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2013 07:37 Edited at: 27th Jul 2013 07:38
Hi, guys! I'm back, and it's Project: Nightmare's turn for a showcase. (also thanks a lot for your awesome input) I'm still deep into development of the second level (looking at a lot of custom scripts and items as well as some awesome gameplay innovations) but I decided that I would show you some frames from the cutscenes for the game. The idea is a panning still by still/animated hybrid video. One picture is a still lasting about three or four seconds accompanied by slight sound and visual effects.

I wanted to capture a sort of innocence with the cutscenes so I drew them as a child would draw them. Unfortunately for me, this is the best that I can draw.

In all honesty, in looking at the content that I had and realizing that I had to make the cutscenes ambiguous for the player's imagination, I decided the best and most interesting way to do this was to choose an object or activity that had nothing in common to the gameplay. I chose the lifespan of a tree throughout the seasons. This season is spring.

Hope you enjoy, guys. I've got more screenshots, and possibly a finalized title coming up. Stay tuned!

BedsideReaper

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 23:59 Edited at: 16th Aug 2013 20:53
Hi, fellas! Got a lot of new images for you as development for level two is now finished! YAY! FINALLY! Many things have happened since the last post.

Project: Nightmare has finally found it's name: DIMM (or dimm as both are stylized).

DIMM will be getting it's own Facebook and Webpage which will allow players to submit their story ideas and/or personal experiences while playing the game as well as updates on possible future sequels, other titles, etc.

I have almost completed drawing segments for a hud inventory selection menu type thing. The selector will be reminiscent to one's seen in Half-Life or Gmod, but will also pertain to the game's theme.

Thanks for reading, guys! As always, I hope you enjoyed what I have shown so far, and keep an eye out, as more is on it's way. Thanks again!

BedsideReaper

P.S. Can a mod change the name from Project: Nightmare to DIMM or dimm? Thanks again, guys!

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 18:15
Damn! They axed my pizza to a wall! So this truly IS a nightmare! THAT PIZZA DID NOTHING TO YOU! WHY DO THE BEAUTIFUL ONES ALWAYS DIE SO YOUNG!?

Seriously... that damn pizza...

No, but seriously, I like dimm. It's a neat little name, although I don't know if it means anything actually, but if not it's one of those neat little titles that mean nothing, but still make you think what they might mean. I can't see the first two images though, but the last one with the pizza (!) looks pretty neat. I like it.

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 20:52
haha Thank you, Metal Devil123. I knew somebody would get a kick out of that pizza.

Quote: "it's one of those neat little titles that mean nothing, but still make you think what they might mean."

I've written a lot of short stories that have been published in local magazines or newspapers, and I'm currently working on a novel at the same time. But I have NEVER made something like this, where I have to fabricate the world in a way that makes the player craft his own stories. However, it has to be done in a way where one player's idea is not the same as another's. For example, dimm can be the name of the dream world. Or it could be the person's name. Or it's the future, and DIMM is a designation for a virtual reality that's gone wrong (i.e. Snowmen scattered about, doors that lead to nowhere, pizzas on the wall). It's been really fun so far though.

Quote: "I can't see the first two images though"

I hope DeviantArt hasn't gone and goofed up at this point. haha I'll see what I can do. Maybe I just have to convert the file type.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 21:36:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 21:36:09