Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

iOS and MacOS / iOS Airplay / External Monitor view

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How do you have it so that when your app is shown on an external display you can have controls, maps, HUD etc. show on your iOS device and only the gameplay displaying on the external screen?

If possible, is this something that would be done in AppGameKit or in Xcode?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 16:04
I assume that by 'external display' you mean the monitor on your Mac device.

I can think of two theoretical ways.

The first is using the network commands. The iOS device would have one app with the controls, HUD, etc. and then Mac would have the play area app. The Mac would need to be the server in the network communications. And you would use network commands to send information back and forth. In theory this could all be done with AppGameKit code.

The second theoretical method would be using blue tooth communications. I know there is demo code for doing blue tooth pairing and sending commands between Mac and device (and recently discovered iPad Worms and had a blue tooth network game with three other people, but it wasn't perfect). That would require definitely using Tier 2 and somehow making the hooks in the AppGameKit portion to get the information from the blue tooth side.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
S_Three
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Ancient Lady for the response,

I meant how games like real racing 2 or apps like netflix have the game or movie on your television through appletv, and keep your controls, map, speedometer etc. on your iPad or iPhone. check out this link:

http://www.cultofmac.com/144231/the-best-ios-games-with-airplay-support-app-guide/

Thanks,
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 17:47
At this point I don't think that is possible with AGK.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
S_Three
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you Ancient.

Hey TGC(if you are out there) - any plans ahead for this in the future?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 21:44:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 21:44:40