Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Online Highscore for all - want some?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 22:13
Hi All,

I notice there was an online highscore thread, but this will be rather easier - here's the headlines:

* No files for you to install or setup - just interface directly from your game with simple function calls
* I supply the API - you just start using it
* simple commands in T1 and T2 and lots of flexibility
* I host the online components and database
* You can have as many different games as you like

I already made the database for a couple of games I made a few years ago. I'll have an API together pretty quick for AppGameKit as I need to get it working for one of my games anyway.
What I would like is to guage the interest and also get some people trying it so I can make sure it's flexible for all.

AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 22:24 Edited at: 12th Feb 2013 22:24
It's unlikely that I would tie my products or my company to a "third party" for something as simple as an online high-score service...

But I wouldn't mind taking a look at your solution if you publish all of it as open source (or similar).

However, I'm quite sure many others would find your offer interesting.

Cheers,
AgentSam
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 22:38
Sure.

The main issue for most people is managing a database and the web interface. A lot of people wouldn't want that extra headache.
I thought I'd offer it up as I have most of it already done - just need to complete the AppGameKit API.

Anyway, my system does a lot more than highscores, for instance it handles things like shot accuracy, level specific data (times, efficiency etc.) , play habits, custom recording, geo data from users (collect data on country, device etc.) It can also handle inter-player messaging (e.g. "your have dropped to 3rd") in realtime.

Also, I will provide a management application to download data and administer accounts etc.

It's not exactly "sensitive" data, but I know what you mean - you may well have the wherewithall to provide online highscores, but most people will be unlikely to.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 23:09
nz0, definitely something I would consider... I'd love to do this myself of course, but unfortunately PHP (or whatever it is I'd need) is not currently in my skillset...

Will await more info...
TrezSoft
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 23:30
I would be interested to know how you get 'Real Time Data' with AppGameKit T1.

I've been burnt a little in the past using these types of services. All started with good intentions and most worked well but in the end they all either lacked support or shutdown without notice. I'm not saying you would do this but if I create a game for a customer I need to guarantee continue service. If you are offering some kind of guarantee “paid or Not” I would be interested especially if you can achieve real time data with T1.
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2013 00:38
I can't say it won't ever turn into a paid service - at least with certain aspects of servers and uptime and whatnot. If it's worth it, then it's worth paying for.

Initially, it will be free for sure. I'd only consider it being a paid service if people wanted some kind of guaranteed uptime / extended function, but this wasn't the primary aim.

Realtime is acheivable with T1. I'll be giving out code that can utilise these features. I'm not saying this is a multiplayer service - far from it. I also understand that this kind of thing fades away after a while, but that's why it has to be paid for (eventually) if some kind of guaranteed service is required. Giving out functionality and code is one thing, maintaining it forever is another.

Right now, it's get some interest and a feel for how much effort I should put into this for the community as opposed to just for myself.

I've done a lot of work in this area professionally, so have no worries about how it will perform.
Anyway, it's nice to see some interest already - enough to see that I will continue to make this a publicly available tool.

7RS
Years of Service
User Offline
Interesting thing...

http://www.7ravenstudios.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/7-Raven-Studios/102567824318?ref=hl
https://www.facebook.com/groups/391126020940838/
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2013 17:55
Mark me as interested. What's your time frame for making this available? I could use this in my upcoming release for a simple high score board. The game, dFenz, is a simple rail shooter and should be ready for beta in a couple weeks. I can always add this functionality later as this game will be a sort of testing ground in the future.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds useful for people struggling to get online scores working. I know that feeling. I have since sussed them out, but wouldn't fancy doing anything much more complicated, but I have thought it would be nice to use for some sort of online options such as upload/download of new level designs or such. As such I'll keep my eye on this.

Kobaltic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2013 02:17
Just wondering what you are using for the backend of it.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 18th Feb 2013 03:20
Hmm... interesting...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 20:10:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 20:10:15