Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Working v1088 Android Templates and updated other v1088 Templates

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2013 22:04
With Paul's help, I finally had the missing pieces to make my v1088 Android template work.

I also updated the other tweaked ones to remove some unnecessary code, now that the GetResumed() command works for iOS.

I've uploaded the new v1088 Android and updated other templates to the AGK Wiki Templates page.

Important Note: Due to the increased of some of the Android libraries needed for v1088, I had to add a pair of supplementary zip files for the <andproj>/jni/armeabi and <andproj>/jni/armeabi-v7a directories. You can either copy those directories from your <androidpath>/IDE/apps/interpreter_android/jni directory (the easiest way) or download the zip files and unzip them in your android template directory. If you copy the directories from the interpreter_android/jni directory, DO NOT copy any of the .c, .h, .cpp or .mk files from there, they will be the wrong ones for the templates.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2013 15:12 Edited at: 8th Mar 2013 15:13
Firstly, thank you again so much for providing these templates.

I am having an issue with permissions. When I follow the wiki instructions my name is <Matty> and my group is <None>, ignoring <> of course.

Not sure if not having a group is the problem or not but when I change directory to my IDE directory and try to change permissions I get the following:

Quote: "chown: changing ownership of 'templates/template_android/libs/armeabi/libandroid_player.so': Permission denied"

Any help off anyone here would be welcomed.

I think the wiki has a typo "cd /cydrive" should be "cd /cygdrive" I think.

Also, could anyone also tell me if it's easier testing on an iPad than it is testing on Android when using tier 2?

Thanks.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2013 16:31
Thanks for catching the typo. I fixed it.

Are you working with v1076 or v1088? In the v1088 delivery, they added a batch file that does the build and gets around the permissions issue. It is mentioned in this post and can be used with Tier2 once you have the project set up.

To test on an iPad, you will need to have a Mac and sign up with Apple's iOS Developer Program ($99/year). You will need to do this in any case if you want to publish in the iOS world.

Once you are set up and get all the right certificates and register your device, testing is easy from Xcode. You keep your code files and media up to date in the Xcode project (remembering to add anything new to the Resources and Classes folders as appropriate). Then you run from Xcode with your device attached (similar to Eclipse) and the app runs (and is installed) on your device. The building is easier, since it is all done in Xcode.

Even if you were in Tier 1 and wanted to publish for iOS, you would be going through a similar set of steps.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2013 16:46
Thanks a lot Ancient lady, I am using 1088 so I will take a look at that post.

I will also set up for testing on the iPad over the weekend, sounds simpler while the app is in development.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2013 17:25
The game I am working on now is Tier 2 and has about 36 .cpp files (in addition to the default ones in the project) with even more .h files.

So, for my Android tests, I created a script to copy all of the files (and the stuff in the media directory) to my Android setup. The script runs in cygwin, so it automagically gets the permissions correct. It simplifies things. I put these types of scripts in the C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin directory and then (in a cygwin session) make them readable by everyone and executable (chmod a+r,a+x <script>. Then all I have to do is go to my project directory and execute the script (simply type in the script name and hit enter). This is what one of mine looks like:

Eventually, I will get around to a generic one that takes the name of the windows project directory as a passed argument.

For iOS work, I manually copy all of the files over. I suppose I could set up a script for that (since the Mac is basically Linux based).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
wargasmic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 17:18

Little help?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 17:47
Can I guess that you are trying to compile Tier 2 in Windows?

If so, can I further guess that you are trying v1088?

Where did you get your template from?

The ones I know work are from the AGK Wiki Templates page.

I cannot find a reference for 'afxres.h' in any files in the AppGameKit tree (v1088 or v1076).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
wargasmic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 17:55
Yes I'm using windows, v1088 and vc++ 2010 with template_vs10_v1088_al_tweak
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 18:40
Have you added .cpp and/or .h files of your own to the project?

What file does the compiler say it is encountering the missing include file in?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
wargasmic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 20:13
No I haven't added anything. just opened project and tried to build it.
wargasmic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 20:15
Here's the file the error is from.

wargasmic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 20:16
Sorry for 3 posts in a row. I have just read something about vc++ express not coming with this file, but the full version does.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 20:40
I am running VC++ Express 2010 as well. And mine has that include in the template.rc file, but the build doesn't complain about it.

Strange.

(You can edit any of your posts to add/amend by clicking on the blue 'Edit Post' link under where your profile stuff is displayed next to the post.)

I just downloaded the template from the AppGameKit Wiki Templates page, and it compiled fine.

When did you download the template?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
wargasmic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 21:08 Edited at: 9th Mar 2013 21:10
I downloaded it today.

I have now replaced #include "afxres.h" with #include "WinResrc.h" as suggested here then received the following error...

...which I fixed by putting atls.lib and atlsd.lib on separate lines (there was no semicolon) under "Ignore specific default libraries" but am now getting tons of unresolved externals as seen here.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 21:38
Somehow it sounds like your template isn't quite right.

The template I just downloaded has the general properties for the project set so that it isn't using ATL.

The linker setup is specifically done to ignore the default atls (and atlsd) libraries.

Can you try wiping out the template directory completely (delete the whole thing) and unzip the template again and then build it?

It looks like something was change in your template because it appears to be trying to put the output somewhere other than the location set up in the original project:

The original template has the output directory as $(ProjectDir)\Final for both Debug and Release configurations.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
wargasmic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2013 15:49
OK I have re-downloaded the template and these errors now seem to be gone. But now I have a new one.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2013 16:27
You need to install DirectX June 2010 SDK. There are instructions about that on the AppGameKit Wiki Templates page.

You can get the download from here.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
wargasmic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2013 16:47
I did install the June 2010 SDK, but I'll try installing it again. I know for a fact i installed it though as It was failing and I had to uninstall a couple of updates for it to install successfully (which I reinstalled after the SDK).
wargasmic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2013 17:20
I'm still getting the same error after installing the DX June 2010 SDK again
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2013 17:29
You probably need to change the paths to look for the SDK, as discussed on the AppGameKit Wiki Templates page under 'Fixing Directory Locations'.

The templates assume that the DirectX SDK is installed in C:\DX10SDK.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
wargasmic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2013 21:26
Thanks for the help, Ancient Lady.

I did indeed have to change the paths. I didn't change the install path but it seems windows 8 likes to install the sdk somewhere else
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2013 21:57
You're welcome.

Happy Programming!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 16:11
Quote: "Are you working with v1076 or v1088? In the v1088 delivery, they added a batch file that does the build and gets around the permissions issue. It is mentioned in this post and can be used with Tier2 once you have the project set up."

Sorry for taking so long, I got side tracked with the ios template.

I am still having same issue with android, the batch file logs the following errors:

Anyone have any ideas?

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 17:05
Matty H, please I need to know if you are working with v1076 or v1088. There are different potential issues with each.

Also see if this thread/post has the answer you need.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 17:46
I am using v1088, the 'application' and 'android' make files are set up like Paul suggests in that thread.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 17:52 Edited at: 20th Mar 2013 19:16
Sorry or double post, I may have just had a breakthrough but I need to go out, I will post again when I get back.

No, it was the interpreter that compiled, I was in the wrong window. The interpreter is only for tier 1 apps, is that right?

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 20:58
Tried re-doing some steps over but get the same error messages

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 22:05
The interpreter is for Tier 1.

If you successfully build interpreter_android, then you have created your own Player. Assuming you didn't uncomment the line that looked for bytecode.byc.

If you are trying to do Tier 2 (which I think is where you started earlier in this thread), when did you download the Android Tier 2 Template?

Also, can you show me your paths for the project you are trying to compile and for where your Android AppGameKit v1088 is installed?

And, did you, at one time, have v1076 set up for Android and then moved to v1088? If so, did you overwrite the Android v1076 directory or create a new one (like I did)? Overwriting the old v1076 might not work because of permissions issues.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 22:55
When you directed me to the other thread(the sticky in the android section of the forum) I followed the tier 1 instructions a little too much, I did uncomment a line somewhere and successfully built the interpreter_android, I have since realised my mistake and commented the line back again.

I am using your templates 1088, I have tried the tweaked and non tweaked versions.

Path to the project is:
C:\Android\AGK\IDE\apps\template_android

Path to AppGameKit is:
C:\Users\Matty\Software Development\AGK_v1088

Which sits alongside many versions of AppGameKit, including:
C:\Users\Matty\Software Development\AGK_v1076

Could the reason be that I am copying the IDE folder from users/matty location? After searching the forum some more I found similar issues but people seemed to be able to change the permissions for the file: libAGKAndroid.a

I have real problems changing permissions on this file, it always changes back when I try to build.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2013 03:00
You need to make sure that you aren't getting the versions confused in your Android setup.

If you want to test/develop in both v1076 and v1088 (like I do), then you need two separate Android AppGameKit directories, just like for the Windows version.

The generic Android setup (other than the AppGameKit specific stuff) can be done without worrying about the AppGameKit version.

But you should have C:\Android\AGK_v1076\IDE and C:\Android\AGK_v1088\IDE paths and make sure not to confuse the two.

The same template.cpp/.h can be used in both versions (as well as any files you add to the Windows projects). But it is necessary to make sure that the project AppGameKit core files and libraries don't get confused.

And, there are extra steps in Eclipse for the v1088 Android stuff because of FaceBook.

The v1088 Android projects have much more information in them that has to be carried along than the v1076 ones. That is why the v1088 Android Templates require the extra downloads (the total for the bare bones v1088 Android Template on my computer exceeds the 10MB limit for uploading to the Wiki). You absolutely need to download the files under "Android supplementary library files" for v1088 and add them to the downloaded v1088 Android Templates, otherwise you won't have the correct libraries.

Once you have the projects and Android AGK<ver>/IDE stuff set up properly, you can use the batch file to do the build and there shouldn't be a permissions issue.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2013 17:39
Thanks for the information. I have only ever followed this whole process once, to test v1088 on a tablet. Any earlier development with v1076 was windows only.

I will probably need to try again on my other laptop, hopefully that will work.

I am currently ready to go on xcode with an iPad2, I have my developer account etc, but I am getting this error:

Quote: "Code Sign error: A valid provisioning profile matching the application's Identifier 'com.thegamecreators.v1088template' could not be found"

Not sure where that file is, hopefully this is an easy one to fix, I just want to test my app on any tablet and I have been at it most of the week I have made progress though, so it's not all bad

Any help off anyone would be appreciated.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2013 19:27
The first thing you want to do is change the identifier for the template to something suitable for you and your 'company', since you will be using this as a basis for your own apps.

There are lots of steps for various code signing identities and profiles and things for iOS (a royal pain). Some are handled through Xcode and most are handled through the Provisioning Portal (reached from the iOS developer page after logging in here).

Getting your basic code signing identities is the first step (through the PP). The PP sort of has reasonable help instructions for the process. I don't remember them all off-hand.

One of the next things you need to do is register your test devices at the PP. I can't remember if that is done through Xcode (and I think it is) or from the PP directly (probably not).

Then you need use the PP and to create a generic provisioning profile and install it on your devices.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2013 22:02
Thanks again Ancient Lady, I'm sure I have plenty of information now to get android and ios up and running.

I'm away for the weekend but will get this sorted early next week.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 13:20:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 13:20:40