Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Installer for Mac is just an EXE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2013 15:58
I downloaded the AppGameKit Mac OS X Installer - v1076 and inside is a Windows exe. Where is the Mac version then?
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2013 16:28 Edited at: 21st Feb 2013 16:34
[edit, I'm looking into this now.]
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2013 16:52
Basically you can't use Tier 1 on Mac OS you must use Tier 2. So that exe will not work.

You can find help and documentation within the file.

\Files\AGK\IDE\Help\home.html

The following text is from the Mac OS Tier 2 guide.

Macintosh - OS X

This guide explains the process involved in creating projects when using Tier 2 when using the Macintosh - OS X platform.

What you need
•Xcode 3 or higher
•Snow Leopard 10.6 or higher

Creating a project

Within the AGK/IDE/templates folder there are sub folders name template_mac_xcode3 (for Xcode 3) and template_mac_xcode4 (for Xcode 4). These are templates that contains all the project settings and initial code to get you started on the MacOS platform. You can either open the relevant project and start editing it, or copy and rename the project and place it elsewhere. Please bear in mind that if you take the latter option you will need to update links to the include and library files.

The include files can be found at:
•AGK/IDE/common/include

While the library files are available from:
•AGK/IDE/platform/mac/lib/Debug
•AGK/IDE/platform/mac/lib/Release

Opening a project

Now follow these steps to open the project:
• Launch the Xcode IDE.
•Go to the “File” menu and select “Open”.
•The next step is to locate the folder for your project. Navigate to the directory of your project e.g. AGK/apps/MyGame_mac then press “Open”.

Project files

With the project now opened it’s time to explore the files, with the main ones of concern being in the “classes” folder, expand this and you will be presented with three files: template.cpp, template.h and CoreForApp.h. The main source files of interest are template.cpp and template.h. The file template.h contains a class definition for our application and template.cpp contains the implementation, which has three functions laid out. The function Begin gets called at the start of the application and can be used to handle initial set up. The function Loop gets called on a continual basis and is effectively your main loop. Finally the function End will be called when the application is about to terminate.

Another area of interest is within the “Other Sources” folder, within here is a file named “Core.mm”. This code deals with platform specific functionality and may be useful for advanced users.
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2013 00:43 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2013 01:04
Hi,

Same here downloaded the mac version of agk but got a windows version.

you cant program in tier 1 on a mac at all?
is that right?

just got myself a second hand macbook, hoping to program some apps for ipod, ipad and mac using tier 1.

Rickynzx
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2013 01:32
Quote: "you cant program in tier 1 on a mac at all?"

You can't compile AppGameKit BASIC code on Mac OS X. You need to do it on a Windows Machine. I'm not sure if TGC have plans for making Tier 1 compatible with mac.

The process of programming in T1 for iOS/mac in a nutshell is:
1. Write and compile BASIC code on Windows machine
2. Copy media and <projectname.byc> code over to Mac OS X
3. Set up Xcode project with the media an bytecode.
4. Compile Xcode project.
5. Play!

So you do need a Mac to make games for iOS but it's not needed to write tier 1 code.

Quote: "just got myself a second hand macbook, hoping to program some apps for ipod, ipad and mac using tier 1."

At least you'll have the right equipment for when you have programmed your app.

Psycho Psam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2013 03:12
Thanks Daniel. I assume I get Tier 2 with the download right? Anyway I've got Parallels running Win7 so I'll just run it on that. By the way, I have Wine installed which did a pretty good job of running it on the Mac desktop if anyone wants a free PC emulator for the Mac.
Psycho Psam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2013 03:13
Oh and thanks for digging out the documentation for me too, Daniel. I'm keen to learn how to compile it so I'll give that a shot too.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2013 18:35
Psycho Psam, in addition to some stuff in the AppGameKit help pages, the AGK Wiki Templates page has templates that you can download for doing Mac/iOS Tier 2 development and information about customizations for each project.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 15:52:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 15:52:06