Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / is diablo II a 2d game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2003 16:36
is it?
if it is, i might make a sci fi rpg sort of diabloish game

-------------------------
I'm new to DarkBasic Pro, so don't flame me :/
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Hard to tell. It has shadows, and lighting, but it could be 2D. I'd say more likely 3D. Most of the work is in the graphic department, but it looks like a massive task.

Pincho.
GR3G0R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2003 16:55
if it didnt have shadows and lightning (my game) would it be 2d? and is this sort of 2d easier than 3d fps?

-------------------------
I'm new to DarkBasic Pro, so don't flame me :/
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2003 19:14 Edited at: 18th Nov 2003 19:15
Quote: "if it didnt have shadows and lightning (my game) would it be 2d? and is this sort of 2d easier than 3d fps?
"

Would a game be 2D without shadows, and lighting? A game is 2D when the images are flat. The camera cannot move around them. You could make this game in 2D if you wanted.

Is it easier than a FPS? I'd say it would be slightly harder.

Pincho.
CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 00:34
It is a 2d game.

Lifes short, try to enjoy it and not take it to seriously!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 01:13
It is a 2D game, however it had a 3D rendering mode - basically the images (scenary, trees, monsters etc) were all rendered using vertical planes, so that they appeared to stand out from the background.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 16:49
^_^ the answer is actually more complicated than you'd think...
it is technically a 2D game, however it has a 3d world.

Using a very similar technique to Final Fantasy 7-9 as well as Resident Evil 1-3 ... what happens is first a scene is create in billions of polygons (and yeah i mean BILLIONS)

then it is rendered out in an isolinear view at a 35° angle of view

next a low polygon primative version of the level is then created, and the rendered iso map is then projected by view onto the objects.

the level is then rendered in the same Iso view with pure 2D characters (well 3d plane sprite characters using a modena 360 view thingiemabob) ... finally effects suchas particles and lighting affect the 3D world which is then blended with the texture like most multitexture games, to create very nice lighting effects. And actually if they used a shader they could make most of them hyper realistic.

But capping the veiw and perspective they gain 100% control over what you view and what you don't, which means they can make a beautiful 3D world texture with a specific 3D world to make it look very high poly and very nicely created, yet have none of the expense.

Personally i'd prefer the 360 camera panning around the awekard areas, and possible sequals might be in full 3d for such things. Bar only time will tell if they bother to update ^_^

To Survive You Must Evolve... This Time Van Will Not Escape His Fate!
900mhz | 256mb | FX5200Ti 52.16 | Dx9 | WXP-Pro

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 20:03:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 20:03:04