Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Documentation for Tier 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there some sort of documentation for the Tier 2 meaning language documentation for everything?
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2013 17:25 Edited at: 26th Feb 2013 17:26
Yes, it's called C++.

Tier 2 is an SDK that's used with IDE's such as Eclipse, and XCode. to learn tier 2 these are the products you need to study. XCODE for apple and Eclipse for Android. There's plenty of 3rd party documentation around for both.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2013 18:21
Tier 2 is also used with Microsoft Visual C++ (free edition).

For the AppGameKit commands, you can see the Tier 2 version of the command by clicking on the 'C++' button at the top right of the browser window.

And Tier 2 is extremely case and type sensitive.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Mmarzex
Years of Service
User Offline
I got that. What I was meaning is documentation of what tier 2 does and does not implement. That's what I want to know. I know it is C++ that isn't the issue. I mean is there documentation of functions so that for instance I can look and know what agk::LoadImage does exactly.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2013 18:26
Daniel's obviously having a bad day at the office!

What he means is, you need to learn how to program in C++ BEFORE starting on T2 AGK. You could also learn Object Pascal, which is IMHO somewhat simpler to grasp.

If you are an experienced C++ or Pascal programmer then T2 gives you access to a universe of powerful things, but those things are not AppGameKit itself. If you are new to programming it might be better to stay within the T1 landscape, which has been designed to protect you from the nightmares of null pointers, list over-runs, constructors and destructors and so on.

I hope that's a fair summary.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Mmarzex
Years of Service
User Offline
I found the documentation. All I was asking was for documentation and references that any good SDK should have. I don't see why Daniel couldn't just link me to that instead of assuming that I'm brand new to this. Thank you Ancient Lady and Jim you gave me what I needed.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2013 22:36
Sorry! Didn't get any sleep last night pulled an all nighter on this new video tutorial set.

Yes, you can access the documentation by going into C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\AGK\IDE\Help opening home.html then clicking on Commands, any command group and then and clicking on C++ language selector in the top right hand corner.
Mmarzex
Years of Service
User Offline
No worries, sorry I didn't respond the best way. I just have been having a stressful day as well. I should have thought about pressing the Help folder there.
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2013 21:29
I have to agree with Jim...

Object Pascal is a very good way to use AppGameKit! Thanks to Erik!

Object Pascal is a clean object oriented language. It is free (lazarus free pascal) and is very complete. It works!

It has all you need in an object oriented language with the addition of linked lists which i personally feel is a powerful addition out of the box!

Lazarus is also totally cross platform...unlike C++...if you write in object pascal on a pc and later buy a MAC...no problem same code same IDE...yumyum.

Although I am not anti microsoft...the visual studio is so heavy weight....i feel its very top heavy!

Also, write in object pascal and release to windows and android very quickly!

Constantly seeking!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2013 21:52
Quote: "unlike C++."

C++ is totally cross platform as long as you stick with ANSI C++.

The code I've been writing in C++ on my PC works fine on my Mac and in Android. But it does not use the same IDE, that is a plus.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 19:00:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 19:00:16