Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Text to speech

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to add text-to-speech to my game. I searched for some downloads (microsoft), but I haven't been able to find anything that works without making my game pause as it speaks. As you can imagine, this is a problem. Does anyone have a solution? Free is best......

The fastest code is the code never written.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 26th Feb 2013 19:49
I used STYX in this project...

After the un-optimised lol loading part, you can hear the Windows 8 TTS talking while the game is running... [Windows 7s TTS sounds coarse lol]

As STYX comes in DLL form, I think you can bring it into a GDK Project relatively easily... I am unsure if Matrix1utils carries something similar, and also I have no idea how you reference a DBPro plugin inside GDK, but thought it was worth mentioning...

Good Luck!

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2013 20:24
This might help - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8902652/c-text-to-speech-libraries

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I found that one already. I can't get it to work without it pausing my game before it speaks.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 27th Feb 2013 09:52
Are you not using threading?

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
SPF_ASYNC was what I was missing. It works fine now, but I am now trying to get different voices. The female voice is fine, but I want to have a male voice as well. Ultimately, I want to utilize Windows' TTS in my game. Certain alien races in the game will have to use a voice synthisizer to communicate because they normally talk in "clicks" and can't speak without one. This "limitation" of their speech does 2 things for me: It gives the game a sense of the exotic and utilizing the TTS will reduce the size of the game by only needing text files instead of sound files for conversation.

So, does anyone know how to change the voice? I can make the pitch change, but it's still female. I would like to have a male voice as well. The more voice variations the better......

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2013 23:38
I might take a look into Festival at some point as an alternative. I use both linux and windows so need one for both.

If you're using the windows version, couldn't you not try to see if it has a console -h / -? / or -help options. Most text to speech give some basic options on the playback.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2013 10:15 Edited at: 28th Feb 2013 10:26
I don't understand what you are getting at with "help options". I have this in my game so that instead of "play sound" it just uses the built in TTS to say what I send it as text. So, there's no console to add any "help" tag to get more info.... I'll look at Festival. I'm affraid I will have to get a complete library anyway so I can have variety.

EDIT: It looks like Festival is not for Windows....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:39:04
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:39:04