Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Dark Dynamix Terrain Collisions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 23:13
Hi guys! I get HUGE fps drop when using 1024 Terrain which i made whith Dark Dynamix. I try to speed up terrain collision but get that command DYN PUT TO SLEEP doesnt work for terrain!
So after creating it you cant turn it off... .
So just 3 questions:
1)If it have any ways to Speed up?
2)Also in Newton there was a flag for optimizing collision mesh ( so when you create collision for very flat terrain its look just like flat plain with very few polygons ) but in Dark Dynamix theres no such command((((
3)I have Nvidia GTX580 but in hardware mode FPS still the same then in software mode
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2013 14:10
Hi Kuper,

Could you replicate the problem with as little code as possible and post it on here?

Do you have the debug renderer on? This would kill fps, even if you where not drawing the debug info.

FPS is hardly affected when I create collision for my terrains. Also, it is the cooking process which optimises the mesh for collision, cooking is just another word for it.

Hardware mode only effects soft bodies, cloth etc, not rigid body physics.

Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 13th Mar 2013 22:24
WHOOOOW!!!! I turn the debug off and fps goes from 150 to 1050 !!!!!AMAZING!!!! Thanks Matty H! Also you said that collision is getting uptimized like when use DYN COOK TRIANGLE MESH for static geometry.But the height field looks not uptimized.Or you mean that it is possible to COOK TRIANGLE MESH for terrain object and dont use height field at all?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2013 14:41
I have not tested it but I would suspect heightfields are more optimised than triangle meshes. Heightfields are simpler collision shapes and I would suspect this would make them faster, if not, then they are definitely more lightweight, don't need cooking and take up less memory.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:48:55
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:48:55