Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Season of Dis

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2013 00:05 Edited at: 30th Aug 2013 08:13

EDIT
The included RAR fixes the previous sound loading problems. Please download it and follow the included instructions, then run the updated EXE to play the demo. You will still need the demo below.
EDIT

EDIT
Download the pre alpha buggy demo here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bg1fek2ljyxn74/seasonofdisdemo.zip
EDIT

EDIT again
I don't know what the system requirements are at this point, but I'm running win 7 with 4 gb ram & core2duo processor @2.20Ghz.
END edit

I'm not sure if this is really ready for a WIP post yet since the game's only about half done, but I believe I'm about ready to release a 2 level demo so I figured I might as well post up some screens.
Season of Dis is somewhat similar to Ico, with a little Dark Souls and King's Field mixed in.
I'll likely be posting a (somewhat buggy) demo after I can get shadow's figured out, stay tuned.

######Writing partner wanted! See latest post for details.#######

http://mattsmith.carbonmade.com/

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
looks good.
nice models you got there.. but i see you messed up with the shaders too much!
you made too many shaders and made the graphics look rly bad. and since you using that many shaders, i was hoping at least to see a shadow shaders..
thats my opinion.

Advanced Updater for your games!
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2013 15:56
I'm planning on getting shadows working, I'm not sure what you mean by too many shaders though. There's only 2 shaders in use, unless you count the water shader, a bloom shader and a bump shader.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow this is awesome! Looking forward to the demo. Very interested because I'm also making something similar to this

Outdoors looks nice. what did you use for the terrain and how did you do your lightings?

Quote: "I'm not sure if this is really ready for a WIP post yet since the game's only about half done"

Well what do you think work in progress is?
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2013 20:14
Thanks! I used an Evolved relief mapping shader for the lights and bump mapping, unfortunately it's conflicting with shadow shaders at the moment. I use Bryce for things like terrain, it works great!

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2013 21:06 Edited at: 13th Mar 2013 21:14
My personal impression is positive, good to see something different; good to even see a new WIP for a change, it's been quite a while; and I especially like the logo; but would like to see a lot more stuff.

I've not figured out what is happening in the fire picture in the middle at the bottom, yet... What's going on?

I assume the way you rendered the teddy bear in the logo is the look you are trying to create in the game, perhaps? You did good.

You could if you wanted throw in a toon post rendering shader to add stroked edges to the characters. For this to focus on characters you'd need an additional camera with the level masked out. You can alternatively use the normals perpendicular to the camera as strokes, but that's just a thought and easy for me to say because I've done it before...

Quote: "nice models you got there.. but i see you messed up with the shaders too much!"

I could be wrong, but perhaps that might be the look the creator is going for. There are a number of games out there that go for a similar 'unrealistic' out of the ordinary look, and if the guy wanted to make it look realistic I doubt this kind of screenshot would have posted in the first place, but hey!! like I said, I could be wrong.

Quote: " i was hoping at least to see a shadow shaders.. "

Just a little bit harsh really. I write my a lot of my own shaders from the ground up, and use them on every single mesh that gets put into my engine, but I must say in my opinion, shadow shading is the worst most frustrating type of shader to get right in DBP; I have a great deal of respect for anyone who gets shadows working whatsoever, let alone look right.

Quote: ""I'm not sure if this is really ready for a WIP post yet since the game's only about half done""

Some WIPs don't even have a logo, or a character; you have both.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2013 22:20
Quote: "I've not figured out what is happening in the fire picture in the middle at the bottom, yet... What's going on?"

That's the battle with the giant at the end of level 1. You have to dodge his club attack and get him to smash barrels to blow himself up.
Thanks for the kind words, I got so used to the toon shader I forgot all about it, I guess that's what Sergey K was talking about. That was inspired by footage from team Ico's upcoming title The Last Guardian - the boy has a toon filter applied while nothing else does. That effect will make more sense once the demo's released. Like I said in the first post though, it's going to be buggy.

I was looking at your Sportsfiction WIP just the other day, it's looking good as well!

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2013 00:13
Quote: "You have to dodge his club attack and get him to smash barrels to blow himself up."

Have you just inadventantly ruined the first boss battle?

I really like the art style for this, I think it looks really interesting. I'd like to know a little more about the game play though as I've never played any of the games you mentioned (although I did buy Dark Souls the other day). I'm guessing this is some kind of role player / adventure game.

one of these days I'll come up with a better signature
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2013 00:51
Buggy pre alpha demo here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bg1fek2ljyxn74/seasonofdisdemo.zip

Known bugs:
*No game over screen - movement still possible after death - game keeps going
*Can walk through some objects
*Statue pushing is hit or miss depending on character position
*After the giant is dead, that's the end of the demo but you are still free to walk around.

Quote: "Have you just inadventantly ruined the first boss battle?"

I hope not!
It's not that much like dark souls, as that game is mostly focused on combat and this character has no attacks. In the later levels not included with the demo you are followed around by a dog who attacks for you, but the AI is still pretty bad so I'll keep working on those parts.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2013 10:34 Edited at: 14th Mar 2013 10:35
Quote: "That was inspired by footage from team Ico's upcoming title The Last Guardian - the boy has a toon filter applied while nothing else does. That effect will make more sense once the demo's released."

Yeah, they seemed to blend the toon shader with a per pixel light shader something similar to what I am doing. Will give it a go when I get some spare time.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice music, it really sets the feel of the game well.

The controls are a bit hard to get used to. Most uses the WASD + mouse click including myself so it just felt little different. While in free camera mode, pressing down arrow makes the screen spin around really fast.

I go to the boss but he just sat there.

The art direction fits the tone of the game, good job on that.
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2013 23:33
Quote: "I go to the boss but he just sat there."

Wake him up!
There's a bell up the stairs with a rope hanging down, press space to pull it.

Yeah, the camera isn't where I want it yet, I'll probably add in 360 controller support, it just seems like a controller sort of game. Thanks for your kind words regarding the music, that's what I'd really like to do as a profession if I had to pick one thing about game design.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2013 00:00
Hmm, it says it could not load music at line 222.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2013 00:50
222, are you sure? Line 222 is shader code...hmm. Well assuming that some strange crap isn't afoot, could it be an OGG codec problem? I'm not sure what's up there.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2013 10:42
Looks very interesting but I can't run it, I had the same error code.
Game's directory should be "c:\seasonofdisdemo" ?

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2013 15:10
Lol, I get the "C:\" file path problem in the 800x600 display exe, and the music problem in the other 1280x720 display exe.

I'm most certainly no fan of the full-screen exclusive mode; I could not get to see the file path error message, just a black screen. Had to alt tab out of the game to see the message, which I could not click due to some full-screen exclusive issue. Had to shut it down in the process manager.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2013 01:37
I tried to play this but I'm getting the same errors.

On my Windows 7 computer, I moved the game folder to the root of the C drive (i.e c:\seasonofdisdemo as Dimis mentioned) I stopped getting the "C:\" file path problem but then it still couldn't load the music at line 222. When I tried this on a computer running XP it had a problem the shader (it could find it but it wouldn't load).

Anyway, it's all very mysterious and it's a shame as I really wanted to have a go at this. It seems as if it's working for other people so I hope you haven't given up.

one of these days I'll come up with a better signature
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2013 09:06
I don't understand what's up with those problems. The only reference to a path was a set dir statement at the beginning of the program, which I removed in the demo executable. It's frustrating.

I haven't quit the project per say, it's just on hold indefinitely until I can figure out a nice way to combine light maps with evolved's normal map shader.

xCatalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2013 19:02
Quote: "The only reference to a path was a set dir statement at the beginning of the program"

Was it a relative or absolute path? That could be your issue

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2013 23:55
I'm getting this problem as well.

TheComet

Level 91 Forumer - 9600 health, 666'666 keystroke power (*2 coffee)
Abilities: sophisticated troll, rage
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2013 04:08
I don't get this problem, the game plays well.

Things I like:
-the shaders look great, in my opinion you used the bloom / cartoon shading to great effect.
-the intro was very well designed and affected me as a player!
-the gameplay is fun, I only played for a few minutes and enjoyed walking around.
-The whole game is well polished (particularly the shaders and particles)

Things I had trouble with:
-the static camera made it very hard to move at the beginning. I suggest if you have a noncontrollable camera, at least have it always pointing at the player to avoid being disorienting.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2013 11:08
Hey thanks for the compliments, I'm glad it worked for you.
I know that camera needs to change, particularly in the winding staircase.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 09:53
So I'm working on a new project, needed to see how I did something in this demo and guess what, now I'm getting the sound load error too!
Turns out it was an OGG problem. Which sucks because MP3 tech requires a licensing fee. Either way, I've updated post #1 with a rar which should fix the problem. It's also running in a maximized window instead of full screen. That is, if anyone still wants to try it out.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 18:24
Quote: "MP3 tech requires a licensing fee"

The licencing fee applies to the decoder not the use of MP3's. Since you're using DirectX, the licencing has already been handled by Microsoft so you do not need to pay. (If you use an external music library, then you may be liable to the cost, but not with DBPro's internal music library)

This is my current project, check it out! [href]forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=204576&b=8[/href]
This is my website, check it out! [href]http:\\www.TeamDefiant.co.uk[/href]
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 06:54
So I hate bringing this topic back from the dead before its ready to be brought back, but hey. I worked on a more realistic looking third person shooter, finally wrapped my head around sparky collision system, (this whole demo used db's native commands, and poorly.) And mastered shadowing, both shadow maps on environmental objects and real time on characters (built an ultra low poly doll of the mail character, turned shadow shading on it, a technique I learned from the great Shenmue).
My in house recording studio is finished, and I have just a couple of classes this semester.
So the point being... I can't think of great ideas for my story! Or rather, I may be able to, but would really like a writing partner to help out with this game. Besides that, the only game I commercially released only got finished because I was working on it with a team mate which forced me to create deadlines and be responsible.

Anyway, wall of text is up. Anyone want to help me write it, or know of anyone who would? Anyone who loved ICO, silent hill,and wants to make something completely outside the norm?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:42:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:42:51