Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Visual Studio 2012 Errors

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2013 12:07
I' Trying to make a simple app in visual studio 2012 just to see how good it is, but a keep getting these errors:

Error 2 error C1083: Cannot open include file: '..\..\platform\windows\Source\glext.h': No such file or directory d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkapp\Common.h 18 1 template
Error 1 error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'atlimage.h': No such file or directory D:\LukeData\Google Drive\Programs\Visual Studio\TestAGKapp\Core.cpp 10 1 template
4 IntelliSense: cannot open source file "../../platform/windows/Source/WindowsNetwork.h" d:\LukeData\Google Drive\Programs\Visual Studio\TestAGKapp\NetworkCommon.h 5 3 template
3 IntelliSense: cannot open source file "..\..\platform\windows\Source\glext.h" d:\LukeData\Google Drive\Programs\Visual Studio\TestAGKapp\Common.h 18 2 template
8 IntelliSense: identifier "BroadcastListener" is undefined d:\LukeData\Google Drive\Programs\Visual Studio\TestAGKapp\Wrapper.h 329 23 template
6 IntelliSense: identifier "cHTTPConnection" is undefined d:\LukeData\Google Drive\Programs\Visual Studio\TestAGKapp\Wrapper.h 242 11 template
7 IntelliSense: identifier "cHTTPConnection" is undefined d:\LukeData\Google Drive\Programs\Visual Studio\TestAGKapp\Wrapper.h 328 23 template
9 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\LukeData\Google Drive\Programs\Visual Studio\TestAGKapp\Wrapper.h 341 11 template
5 IntelliSense: not a class or struct name d:\LukeData\Google Drive\Programs\Visual Studio\TestAGKapp\Network.h 213 33 template

here is the code:

// Includes, namespace and prototypes
#include "template.h"
using namespace AGK;
app App;

// Begin app, called once at the start
void app::Begin( void )
{
}

// Main loop, called every frame
void app::Loop ( void )
{
}

// Called when the app ends
void app::End ( void )
{
}

That is it! Can someone help me?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2013 18:31
AGK doesn't currently work with VS 2012, period.

Until they create VS 2012 libraries, you need to stick with VS 2010.

But part of your problem appears to be a relative path ('..\..\platform\windows\Source\glext.h'). Your project is not in the AppGameKit tree, so it cannot find the include files.

Also, what version of AppGameKit are you using and where did you get the Template you are starting with? The posted templates are all set up to ignore the default atl libraries.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Gorea235
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2013 19:42
Well, AppGameKit says that it is build 107, and i think i used the windows template v9 from the installation folder. I'm not sure what you mean by
Quote: "Your project is not in the AppGameKit tree, so it cannot find the include files."

Other that that, i don't know the version. Where would you find more info on that in AppGameKit?

Also, would i be able to get free updates for AppGameKit in the future? Just curious.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2013 16:30
The AppGameKit tree is where you installed AGK. It has the IDE and Projects directories and the AGK\IDE\common\include and AGK\IDE\platform\windows\Source directories are where the common includes for the projects are.

The templates shipped with v1076 are not up to date with AGK. They stopped getting them up to date sometime after v1076. TGC knows about it and we might get updated templates with the final v108 release (they are in beta with that now).

There are core files in every project (template) that are specific to the AppGameKit release. This is why it is necessary to update templates and projects when they are used for a new release.

Assuming you are using v1076 (the official release), you can get VS2010 working templates from the AGK Wiki Templates page.

Make sure to look at the directions about setting paths if you install the template anywhere other than AGK\IDE\templates. If you are going to put your projects elsewhere, you definitely need to update the directory locations used for includes and libraries.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Gorea235
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2013 18:11
Would I need to download Visual Studio C++ 2010, or can i use the C# version?

I have bought AppGameKit, but the installation files are in a folder called AGKTrial, i think this is because i got the trial version, but I am using the full version now. Is this a problem, and should a rename it?

I shall try and get the new templates and see if they work in the meantime.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2013 13:04
You need VS C++ 2010. C# doesn't work, unless it can compile standard C++.

You need to completely uninstall the trial version before you install the paid version, otherwise there is too much confusion in the files.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Gorea235
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2013 19:12
I've installed the visual studio 2010 C++, uninstalled the AppGameKit trial, installed the AppGameKit beta v108, in tried redoing the template, but I'm still getting errors,

Error 1 error C1083: Cannot open include file: '..\..\platform\windows\Source\glext.h': No such file or directory d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\Common.h 22
Error 2 error C1083: Cannot open include file: '..\..\platform\windows\Source\glext.h': No such file or directory d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\Common.h 22
3 IntelliSense: cannot open source file "..\..\platform\windows\Source\glext.h" d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\common.h 22
4 IntelliSense: cannot open source file "../../platform/windows/Source/WindowsNetwork.h" d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\networkcommon.h 5
5 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 31
6 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 34
7 IntelliSense: identifier "AGKSocket" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 50
8 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 56
9 IntelliSense: identifier "AGKSocket" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 76
10 IntelliSense: identifier "Broadcaster" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 93
11 IntelliSense: identifier "cNetworkListener" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 94
12 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 97
13 IntelliSense: identifier "AGKSocket" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 125
14 IntelliSense: identifier "AGKSocket" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 144
15 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 178
16 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 194
17 IntelliSense: not a class or struct name d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 214
18 IntelliSense: identifier "Broadcaster" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 240
19 IntelliSense: identifier "cNetworkListener" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 241
20 IntelliSense: identifier "AGKSocket" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 242
21 IntelliSense: identifier "BroadcastListener" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 244
22 IntelliSense: identifier "AGKSocket" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 245
23 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 252
24 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 260
25 IntelliSense: identifier "AGKSocket" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\network.h 270
26 IntelliSense: identifier "cSpinLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\cimage.h 128
27 IntelliSense: identifier "cHTTPConnection" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\wrapper.h 260
28 IntelliSense: identifier "cHTTPConnection" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\wrapper.h 455
29 IntelliSense: identifier "BroadcastListener" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\wrapper.h 456
30 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\wrapper.h 475
31 IntelliSense: class "app" has no member "g_pWindowTitle" d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\core.cpp 769
32 IntelliSense: class "app" has no member "g_dwDeviceWidth" d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\core.cpp 770
33 IntelliSense: class "app" has no member "g_dwDeviceHeight" d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\core.cpp 771
34 IntelliSense: class "app" has no member "g_dwDeviceWidth" d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\core.cpp 772
35 IntelliSense: class "app" has no member "g_dwDeviceHeight" d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\core.cpp 772
36 IntelliSense: class "app" has no member "g_dwFullScreen" d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\core.cpp 772
37 IntelliSense: class "app" has no member "g_dwResolutionMode" d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\core.cpp 778

Should I try a different template?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 01:03
Did you install the v1088 template from the AppGameKit Wiki Templates page?

Quote: "Error 2 error C1083: Cannot open include file: '..\..\platform\windows\Source\glext.h': No such file or directory d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkt2app\includes\Common.h 22"

This looks like you are trying to use the project in a directory that doesn't sit below AppGameKit so that the relative path works.

Install the template_vs10_v1088 project in the <AGKdir>\IDE\templates directory and see if it compiles for you. Don't copy it over anything else, make it its own fresh project directory.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 01:07
Quote: "Should I try a different template?"

Yes, try the ones Ancient Lady has made (available on the wiki as AL has linked above).

Where have you installed AppGameKit? If it's not the default C:/Program Files/The Game Creators (I think that's what AL's template use as the AppGameKit directory) then you may have to adjust the paths in the project properties in VS 2010. Either way, if you're getting the "Cannot open include file ..." then they aren't linked up correctly and you'll have to fix the paths.

Here's an old video which shows how to set up AppGameKit v1076 but should give you a rough idea on how to change the paths for v1088:

AL's templates also cater for the extra libs needed so it's best to use them. You may also need Direct X SDK to get it to work.

Good luck!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 15:03
You will absolutely need Direct X SDK for v1088.

There are instructions and links in the AppGameKit Wiki Templates page for downloading the correct Direct X SDK.

I actually use C:\AGK as my base (and C:\AGK1088 for v1088). But the paths in the templates are 'generic' as long as they are installed within the installed AppGameKit tree.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Gorea235
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 19:16
I'm using the template suggested, I've installed Direct X June 2010, and it's still not working. here are the errors now (there are 8 less then last time, so something must be working)

Error 1 error C1083: Cannot open include file: '..\..\platform\windows\Source\glext.h': No such file or directory d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\Common.h 22
Error 2 error C1083: Cannot open include file: '..\..\platform\windows\Source\glext.h': No such file or directory d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\Common.h 22
3 IntelliSense: identifier "cSpinLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\cimage.h 128
4 IntelliSense: identifier "cHTTPConnection" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\wrapper.h 260
5 IntelliSense: identifier "cHTTPConnection" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\wrapper.h 455
6 IntelliSense: identifier "BroadcastListener" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\wrapper.h 456
7 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\wrapper.h 475
8 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 31
9 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 34
10 IntelliSense: expression must have pointer-to-class type d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 38
11 IntelliSense: expression must have pointer-to-class type d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 43
12 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 56
13 IntelliSense: identifier "Broadcaster" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 93
14 IntelliSense: identifier "cNetworkListener" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 94
15 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 97
16 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 178
17 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 194
18 IntelliSense: incomplete type is not allowed d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 214
19 IntelliSense: identifier "Broadcaster" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 240
20 IntelliSense: identifier "cNetworkListener" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 241
21 IntelliSense: identifier "BroadcastListener" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 244
22 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 252
23 IntelliSense: identifier "cLock" is undefined d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\network.h 260
24 IntelliSense: cannot open source file "..\..\platform\windows\Source\glext.h" d:\lukedata\google drive\programs\visual studio\testagkc++\includes\common.h 22
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 20:23
Exactly what is the path for the template (complete, including the drive) and what is the path for your AppGameKit IDE (yes, I know you are not using it, but this information will help us work out what the issue is).

Your basic problem appears to be that your project is looking in the wrong place.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Gorea235
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 20:40
The project is located in D:\LukeData\Google Drive\Programs\Visual Studio\TestAGKC++

and the AppGameKit IDE is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\AGK\IDE

Do I need to change where is looks for the files in the .h files?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 20:44
You need to change the paths used in the project to point absolutely at your AppGameKit path, the relative paths in your project on the D: will never see the files on the C: drive.

This has been your problem from the start and this has been what we've been trying to get you to fix.

Look under the "Fixing Directory Locations" on the AGK Wiki Templates page. (I would have the link go directly to that part of the page, but the code for the wiki won't let me put the references in the page.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Gorea235
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 20:57 Edited at: 19th Mar 2013 20:57
Done it, now ONE error! Thanks! This is the error, it seems to be a broken lib file...

Error 1 error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'dxguid.lib' D:\LukeData\Google Drive\Programs\Visual Studio\TestAGKC++\LINK
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 21:06
Good!

Did you add the location for your DirectX libraries to the link directories in the project configuration (the last part of the section that talks about updating paths)?

If you installed the DirectX SDK, you should be able to find where the dxguid.lib files is. That is the path to add to the link set.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Gorea235
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 21:33
Oh, my, God. It worked (I hadn't seen the last bit on the updating path page), other than it said 'no binary has been built with current information'. Is this a problem? If so, how do I fix it?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 21:40
I've never seen that message.

Did you try cleaning and rebuilding?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "(I would have the link go directly to that part of the page, but the code for the wiki won't let me put the references in the page.)"

Since your headings include IDs when generated on the Wiki, you can actually craft your own jump-to links by appending "#tocX" to the URL, where X is the number of the heading you want to jump to as soon as the page loads.

Example, the link below takes users directly to the Fixing Directory Locations section.

http://appgamekit.wikispaces.com/Templates#toc4
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 21:54
Except that the Wiki page editor won't allow me insert pure html (to add the <a href="#gohere"> to create the reference (or do anything in raw html for that matter) and the interface doesn't let me enter what I want when I try to create a straight link.

It's sort of hard to enter that kind of stuff in a site like the wiki that uses a content manager.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Gorea235
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 22:01
It's worked, thanks all for the help. I've got rid of the build error, somehow, and all is well.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 22:11
Now that you have a working template, do NOT edit it.

Copy the entire directory and rename it for your actual projects.

Happy Programming!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 22:30 Edited at: 19th Mar 2013 22:31
As an aside, although AL has done an incredible job getting all these templates in order for the community, I think everyone agrees it would be wonderful for TGC to supply actual templates for various Tier 2 platforms.

I'm referring to a formal template rather than the copy/paste madness required currently. If on a Mac for instance, one would simply launch Xcode and click "AGK Project" in the Create dialog, then give it a project name and all the required resources would be generated on-the-fly with the given project name etc.

This is how most toolkits I've worked with do it--on a Mac they provide a simple batch file or even an installer that automatically adds a new template type to Xcode, which makes it painless to create any new projects down the road.
Gorea235
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 22:47
I agree with everything xCept has said, AL has done a great job, but the templates need to be easier and more professional to use. I accept that this my be hard, but I am willing to wait for it, if it ever does come out.

I will copy the template and use the copies now. Thanks AL for all your help.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 03:21
Always glad to help.

And I will also appreciate it when AppGameKit does templates properly for us.

Having Xcode generate the initial project would be awesome.

And it should be possible in MS Visual Studio as well.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Gorea235
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 20:00
Just a question, how do you change the size of the app window? I'm new to this...
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 21:44
Quote: "I'm new to this..."

And yet you took the forum name AGK. A bit cheeky.

For each platform (except for Android, I think, because I can't find where I set it for that) there is a file that needs to be updated first. And then you add the correct calls within the app.

For Tier 1 Windows, edit the setup.agc file and change the width and height.

For Tier 2 Windows, edit Core.cpp and set the values you want for DEVICE_WIDTH and DEVICE_HEIGHT.

For Tier 2 iOS, edit Core.m and set the same defines as for Windows Tier 2.

For Tier 2 Mac, edit CoreForApp.h and set App.m_DeviceWidth and App.m_DeviceHeight in AppInitCode(void).

Then, this is all assuming that you are going to be using virtual resolution instead of percentage, call agk::SetVirtualResolution(<your width as int>,<your height as int>.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 21:45 Edited at: 20th Mar 2013 21:46
If you are working in the AppGameKit IDE in Windows, you can modify the setup.agc file within your project(s) to change the width and height of the window. If you set the "fullscreen" parameter to 1 in the same file, the app will be presented in fullscreen at the user's desktop resolution.

Along with that, you will also need to understand a few display-related commands in AGK. Specifically, review the documentation on SetVirtualResolution and SetDisplayAspect to understand how AppGameKit handles virtual and percent-based setups. You'll find the easiest to grasp method is using a virtual resolution... If you set the virtual resolution to 320x480, but the user is on a device that is 640x960, the assets will automatically be scaled up to fill the screen while retaining their proper aspect ratio.

Edit: AL beat my be a few seconds and provided more examples
Gorea235
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 22:03
I know the tier 1 code quite well, and the name was a slight mistake, i was asking about the tier 2 code, i had found the values but i needed to make sure about them. Thanks anyway.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 22:12
Quote: "i was asking about the tier 2 code"

And I provided the files that need to be updated, so you should be good to go on any platform.

You use the same display setting commands in Tier 2 as in Tier 1 (just add 'agk::' and make sure the cases are correct).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Gorea235
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 22:38
Thanks for your help AL, I wasn't sure about the actual number was all. I'm quite good at the commands in tier 1, so it should cross over into tier 2. Thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 17:28:08
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 17:28:08