Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Can't attach a texture to .x file. in FPSC Entity Maker.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2013 21:39
This is day 2 of me trying to figure out this bloody problem. (Hi, I'm a returning user from way back in 2011)

I am using the MakeEntitiesFromXFiles app to create my models. I am trying to create a primitive bush model.

Here are the texture and the .x file.
http://speedy.sh/XJJtT/user.rar

When I apply the texture, all I witness is the color of the model changing to the approximate color of my texture, this is driving me crazy. I can't seem to apply a basic texture to it.

Please, Help

Attachments

Login to view attachments
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2013 04:21 Edited at: 25th Mar 2013 08:40
Took a look for you.

When imported to modeling program, it appears you have created a lot of planes on which the uv's are fine, however each plane is individual and has a separate material ID.

Suggest you attach all the planes together and apply the material to it before exporting, .x stores the uv and material ID's in the file, so this should fix it for you.

Normally I would expect this to work, even as is, if applying the texture in FPSC, but all those material ID's might be confusing the engine.

Also you have no alpha channel in your texture for transparency. Since the editor shows a preview of the texture it may be that your seeing no detail and it looks like a block of colour and with no transparency your only going to get square textured planes anyhow.

Last but not least, this is a pro made texture for use with alpha transparency, whoever created it really knows what they are doing, hope its your own, particularly since I've downloaded it
Even many pro's don't bother with feathering for transparency, but when they do you know for sure they work in the games industry.

I don't trip over...I do random gravity checks.
Tobias_Ripper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2013 05:56
Thanks for a reply. The texture is from one of the freeware model packs. I don't want to go in depth into alpha channels in the texture as for now I just want to get the texture to even show.

Now the mesh consists of stretched cubes rather than plains as plains had an unknown to me effect of only displaying one side as being see-through on the other.

I have gone off to blender and combined all plains together. Unfortunately for me the issue continues and due to my lack of knowledge in modelling (learning by trial and error) people on this community know more than I do.

Here is a new archive with the .x model combined as one single polygon shape.
http://www.speedyshare.com/bUjuM/Entities.rar
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2013 13:20 Edited at: 25th Mar 2013 13:48
All I did was apply a uvunwrap modifier, I dont use blender so cant say where this would be applied in it. I didn't make any changes and your texture show fine now.

This is rhe first version you put up, now with planar mapping, find it attached to download button.

Since I merely checked the uv mapping (by applying a modifier) without applying the texture earlier I assumed it had mapping, this is where you went wrong. In most programs, planar mapping at least is applied by default, perhaps Blender doesn't, I wouldn't know

If making these this way its best to create one plane, apply uv mapping and texture. Clone and mirror the plane (or flip normals) to make it two sided, this will save you poly's as well as any headaches with texture showing on edges of a box (this becomes obvious when you do use transparency). Attach these together then you can copy this for the rest of the planes before positioning them

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Tobias_Ripper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2013 15:29
Well it works now so I'm grateful for that. Thanks for the help.

If I understand it right, you have unwrapped the texture into the planes like you would do so with a cube here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/9/94/Blender_tut_cube_unwrap.jpg

and then applied a texture via UV-mapping, correct?

I tried following this tutorial over here to get the gist of texturing in blender. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCJfC2pXZ4
Not sure it demonstrated UV mapping.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
You just have to keep at it and it will all fall into place

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 07:50:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 07:50:44