Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Questions about Blackberry

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2013 13:44
Now that TGC seems to be serious about BB support again I am wondering about developing for BB. Demo 4 of Rush to Adventure will be released within the next 2 weeks and an Alpha release is getting very close.

What do I need? It works on Playbook and BB10 devices right? Do I need a developer license? Anything else?

Is it in any way possible to get a BB device and/or license for free as a Developer?

Is it possible to release alpha and beta software for BB in any way? Can't be done on iOS but on Android I can just put an APK up for download.

Demo 3 is out now!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2013 17:53
So, from what I can find, there is no licensing cost. That's nice.

Demo 3 is out now!
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 10:48
Hi Digital

From the blackberry site

No registration or submission fees. None. $0.00
Multiple monetization opportunities with in-app purchasing, subscription billing, and mobile ad services
Crystal clear, transparent submission process
Increase the discoverability of your apps with a range of "Top 25" lists that end users can search on both the mobile and desktop storefront versions of BlackBerry World
Make it easy for end users to purchase your apps and digital goods by providing popular payment methods like PayPal, credit card, and direct to carrier billing (carrier dependent see below...)

Go make money!

Where is the digital?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 11:44
Yeah, I have found that. But it only answers one of my questions. Now I know that it's free.

Demo 3 is out now!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 12:27
BTW, anybody knows how accurate the emulator is and how well it works with AppGameKit?

Demo 3 is out now!
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 15:17
I use the Playbook SDK which works on both Playbook and Blackberry 10. The Blackberry 10 SDK only appears to work on Blackberry 10 devices, not Playbook. This page has the download link for the SDK and a simulator https://developer.blackberry.com/native/download/#playbook the simulator is actually a virtual machine that is run with VMWare Player and receives apps through the local area network. I've tested the Playbook and Blackberry 10 simulators and both seem to work very well.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Digital there are many AppGameKit users who have a Playbook, I'm sure more than one will be happy to test your game
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 16:51 Edited at: 26th Mar 2013 16:55
Thanks both of you for your answers. Am I correct to assume that BB uses something similar to Android's APK files that can be easily distributed?

Maybe I have time to check this next week. Have 10 days off from work.

Demo 3 is out now!
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 18:14
Quote: "Am I correct to assume that BB uses something similar to Android's APK files that can be easily distributed?"

I've not found an offical way of side loading apps onto Blackberry devices like Android can do. Apparently there are third party programs that will let you do it but I didn't try them. Blackberry works with .BAR files
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2013 08:36
So, if I wanted to release my next demo on BB I would have to use the store? Are they like Apple or can I upload unfinished apps? Can I decide not to post apps publicly and for example post links to them here? And finally, if I do not post an app publicly, like a beta. Can I control who get access to it, like give out keys?

And while I'm asking. Anyone knows if I can do stuff like this on Google Play Store?

Demo 3 is out now!
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2013 15:00
Apple let you do this with AdHoc distribution, Google let you do this with any APK, but I don't know of a way of releasing beta apps to a small group of people on Blackberry.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2013 17:05
Thanks for the info Paul

Demo 3 is out now!
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2013 18:08
Another thing you have to keep in mind is the screen sizes:

- Playbook is 1024x600
- Blackberry Z10 is 1280x768 (future ones will be 720)
- Blackberry Q10 (not released yet) will be 720x720

I believe the player will be able to scale it properly right.

As for the demo, I believe the vendor portal has a Sandbox option for testing, before releasing the product.

The simulators run on VMWare players, so they are exactly the same OS that the devices run. The only caveat is the speed (faster on PC than the devices).

Cheers

Paulo

----------
Paulo
http://www.mobilecreators.com
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2013 22:07
Thanks Paulo

Demo 3 is out now!
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Digital Awakening only the Z10 has a resolution of 1280x768 all future Blackberry 10 non qwerty phones will be 1280x720 so BlackBerry recommend developing for 1280x720.

My experience make your resolution for BB10 Z10 games to be 1024x576 as this makes it easier to move it to the PlayBooks 1024x600 and future phones.

BlackBerry designed their OS to allow developers to send bar files to other testers so its ok to post links to them here. To do this you need to build a copy using the SDK to create a bar file. The Bar files can be then sideloaded onto other BlackBerry devices which have enabled developer mode. The easiest way to sideload apps is to use DDPB Installer.

I am able to test your game if needed. I have 2 PlayBooks, 1 limited edition Z10, and ill also be getting a dev alpha c (Blackberry Q10 test device).
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 22:03
Thanks, that's a lot of useful info apocolyp4

My focus now is to complete Demo 4. Then I'll check out 1089, hopefully not a painful transition from 1076. Then we'll see if I can get it running on Blackberry. I want to make RTA work on all resolutions without black borders. We'll see if I can make that happen before it goes go alpha.

Demo 3 is out now!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 00:34:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 00:34:36